marks on new van? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Is it acceptable to have a few minor marks on the woodwork inside a new van? Looks like a clumsy toolbox corner dented the wood and the odd scratch on the panels, (minor but visible).

Should I get them repaired or is it normal to have the odd minor mark?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Doesn't sound right to me but what is acceptable to one person would be totally the opposite to another so its your call really, if it was ex demonstrator or used as showroom model with suitable discount OK but built to order would be different IMO.

Martin

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
No I don't think it's acceptable, but, after a couple of days use you yourself may put scuffs and marks on it. How about a cash discount for the damage?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Yes, it's a built to order. I don't want to seem fussy about minor marks but I think I will get the sales team to look at them. Delivery date is early May but I have seen the van before it gets prepped for the hand over.

I'll keep you posted!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, it's a built to order. I don't want to seem fussy about minor marks but I think I will get the sales team to look at them. Delivery date is early May but I have seen the van before it gets prepped for the hand over.

I'll keep you posted!
I wouldn't worry about being too fussy. If you don't pick up until May I'd make sure everything was done first. I used to sell new houses and a week before handover I'd take the new owners through for snagging and we would list every single bump, lump, scratch etc no matter how minor.

Bet you can't wait to collect it .... May isn't that far away now

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
It depends what you call a minor mark. If they can't be fixed without replacing a panel then how long you are prepared to wait for your new van may determine how fussy you want to be.

Mike

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
i wouldnt be happy with marks on a brand new van. if they can't repair it and have to order a new bit then you can still take the van with the understanding that it will be replaced next time you are passing.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've seen brand spanking new cars straight off the transporters delivered to the paint shop, some for quite big repairs to paintwork.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our new Autosleeper was an ex showroom van, it had been on display for 1 day before we bought it and due to this we got nearly £4K off the screen price of the basic model, which meant we also got the premium pack for free.
The only thing inside and outside the van that wasn't perfect was a small mark on the cooker control panel.
I wouldn't accept a built to order van that wasn't absolutely perfect without negotiation a decent discount.
Hopefully, they will have picked any damage up and fixed it on their pre delivery inspection but it won't harm to mention to the dealers that you saw marks on the woodwork previously.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I wouldn't worry about being too fussy. If you don't pick up until May I'd make sure everything was done first. I used to sell new houses and a week before handover I'd take the new owners through for snagging and we would list every single bump, lump, scratch etc no matter how minor.

Bet you can't wait to collect it .... May isn't that far away now

Snagging a house is not quite the same as a MoHo.
Far less panelling in a house and easier to remove and replace its as well.

Personally if your new van isn't/wasn't perfect in every way I would reject it. But not all people are as fussy as me :)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is not as if a motorhome is a two bob purchase !
And to take that a step further, would you accept a tin of peas with a dent in it, or a loaf of Hovis that had a torn wrapper ?

It should be spot on ...

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
At some point you will probably want to sell the van. IF you look after it diligently and produce no further damage, would you expect to sell it without anyone wanting to "knock you down" for what is already there?

Look for a reasonable discount! (Or perhaps "free" habitation checks for the period of your ownership?)

Gordon

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
I wouldn't worry about a few marks, compared to our friends, that's nothing. They bought a brand new Chausson from Lowdhams last year and, so far, a drive shaft failed after 200 miles, there was no oil in the gearbox, the fridge only works when the van is dead level, the bed does not work properly, the cab aircon has packed up and now, they have found damp in the garage due to a faulty door. Lowdhams response to all this, well it seems they don't want to know!

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I wouldn't worry about a few marks, compared to our friends, that's nothing. They bought a brand new Chausson from Lowdhams last year and, so far, a drive shaft failed after 200 miles, there was no oil in the gearbox, the fridge only works when the van is dead level, the bed does not work properly, the cab aircon has packed up and now, they have found damp in the garage due to a faulty door. Lowdhams response to all this, well it seems they don't want to know!

That's not acceptable. I think Lowdhams need to be reminded - if necessary by your friends' solicitor - of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. They are required by law to ensure that the motorhome is of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. It is Lowdhams responsibility to sort this out, so they should not be fobbed off by suggestions that they take it up with Chausson or the base vehicle manufacturer. I bought a Chausson from Lowdhams once. Never again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back