Marker lights MOT failure? (2 Viewers)

A

american37

Deleted User
I was wondering if anybody could help me? My classic Dodge Marque (1979) has just failed its MOT because the marker lights at the top of the cab (orange) are the wrong colour.......is this right? If it is not, could anybody please direct me to a website where I can get the information to show the MOT centre as apparently I can appeal.

Also it does not have a rear fog light fitted and failed on that too....but I read somewhere that fog lights only have to be on vehicles manufactured after 1st April 1980 and as mine is a 1979, does this mean I am exempt.

Funny....it passed its last MOT, but now live 250 miles from my last testing station and had to use a different ione this year.

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
I don't know the laws on marker lights, but I do know for certain that Fog lights must be on the off side in England. I have just purchased a German MH which has a fog light on the off side for German roads, which would be the near side for British roads. It failed it's MOT on this point. Had to fit a new fog light, giving me 2 fog lights, one on each side. My MOT station said, if I had a fog light in the middle (rear of the MH) that would have been accepted. Funny you should mention it, my last MH passed 4 MOT's until the 5th MOT where the guy failed the MH for the fog light. Had to fit one to get it passed. I did mention I had passed 4 previous MOT's but he wasn't interested.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I was wondering if anybody could help me? My classic Dodge Marque (1979) has just failed its MOT because the marker lights at the top of the cab (orange) are the wrong colour.......is this right? If it is not, could anybody please direct me to a website where I can get the information to show the MOT centre as apparently I can appeal.

Also it does not have a rear fog light fitted and failed on that too....but I read somewhere that fog lights only have to be on vehicles manufactured after 1st April 1980 and as mine is a 1979, does this mean I am exempt.

Funny....it passed its last MOT, but now live 250 miles from my last testing station and had to use a different ione this year.

Hi,

My Dodge (same year) passed the MOT ok and has always had amber marker lights over the cab.

It has, however, has a rear fog light retrofitted.

Regards Steve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Apparently they're tightening up on MOTs, had to replace indicator bulbs on the 'spare' car which had done less than 100 miles since the last MOT... wrong colour:Doh:

The coloured bulbs (lamps for semantics:winky:) are coated and if there's the slightest amount of white showing, it's a fail.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi american37
I'm afraid this time the tester has got it completely wrong, :Doh:
1. you are correct fog lights are not reqd on your vehicle (April 1980 on) section 1.1 of the testers manual

2. The term used is obligatory front position light lights, and these are the lower ones and MUST be white in colour or yellow if, and only if, contained in a yellow headlight,
The upper or any other front lights are optional and NOT part of the MoT test,

All this is contained in the testers manual available to the tester by pressing F5 on his keyboard section 1.1 in the information section left hand side
you may have to point out that just reading the reasons for rejection without consulting the notes will result in a wrong decision and cost the tester and MoT station penalty points if the test result is reported or appealed to VOSA, so ask him to look again:thumb:
Geo

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
American37 you now have the knowledge ..... & knowledge = Power.

As Peter said the 'fun' site has more than just the fun. :clap::notworthy:

OP
OP
A

american37

Deleted User
Thanks to all your replies. I will go back to the MOT station armed with my 'new knowledge'.

OP
OP
A

american37

Deleted User
The picture file is too big to upload unfortunately, I will see if I can take some more pics with a different camera. Sadly we have decided to sell due to family getting bigger and need a 5 berth rather than 4. It is a shame, because I have spent a lot of time over the winter renovating it and it now has lots of mod cons....

OP
OP
A

american37

Deleted User
Sadly my Dodge is now advertised on the classifieds....I need my weekends back!!
Photos uploaded there too :Mellow:

NEV3

Free Member
Feb 11, 2008
North East Wales
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 1996
Marker lights MOT failure

When I took my current RV for it's 1st Mot about 3 years ago the Test Station (VOSA) pointed out to me that my marker lights above the windscreen were the wrong colour, but said that it wasn't part of the test so let it go through. I checked into this on the internet (can't remember now where, but it was a VOSA site on vehicle build standards) and it stated that these lights on the front can be any colour other than red so long as they dont flash. You can even have blue but I believe the police aren't too pleased about it!! The Rule generaly was --NO RED TO THE FRONT & NO WHITE TO THE REAR -- except for reversing lights.

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Does anybody know if this applies to REAR red marker lights. Took the lens off the only light not working, and wound up with a handful of rusty bits :whatthe:Got the dreaded M.O.T. this week.:cry:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Martyn
I assume your talking about the red markers at the top of your bus, it is not neccessary to have them . But some testers will say if they are fitted they must be working. Good luck with the test mate :thumb:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Martyn just tape over them for the MOT what kind are they as I have some spares because I replaced mine a short while ago for led's, 2 of mine fell a part!!!

Regards Pat

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
marker lights dont even come in to the test i have the manual here we call it the bible tell the tester to go and resit his test hes wrong

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Thanks for the advice Lads,think i'll take a lump of wire with me and link it to the next one if he has a winge about it.
Ginge, i'll wait and see if he knocks it back on anything else,before i read him the riot act.:winky:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Thanks for the advice Lads,think i'll take a lump of wire with me and link it to the next one if he has a winge about it.
Ginge, i'll wait and see if he knocks it back on anything else,before i read him the riot act.:winky:
Good Luck Martyn.:thumb:

BTW mine has amber at the front and Red to the rear.

Only problems I had was with one bad earth on a marker on the rear which I found before the MOT was done.

Seems he's a little overzealous.Do they test many RV's?

I can understand the thought that if it's fitted, it must work.I've been told this before during MOT's but the guys I use are very helpful and normally change bulbs, get it going for me if there is a problem.

Last edited:

tansea

Free Member
Feb 4, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
My MOT Station tell me that the high level marker lights at the rear of a motorhome are part of the test if they are there. The answer seems to be make sure that they are working properly and the lenses are red in colour or if at least one is not working then disconnect them both and cover the holes etc. with self adhesive red reflectors. You know it makes sense, or does it???

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
I started reading the original post and was on page 2 before I noticed that the dates were 2008!!
There have been many changes since then.

tansea

Free Member
Feb 4, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Seems to me that the dates of a thread are not significant if the subject matter remains relevant. Otherwise threads might just as well be deleted after a defined period of time. On this particular subject I do not know if there have been any changes but I think not as the previous messages in the thread suggest that the situation back in 2008 remains true today.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If the vehicle is below 2.1 mtrs wide they are not required and are not testable .
The bit about covering and taping over has to be read in conjunction with the not used other than daylight etc .
This inspection applies to all vehicles, except those which either have no front or rear position lamps or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are: • only used during daylight hours, and not used at times of seriously reduced visibility.

only obligatory position lights needed ,
The lights in middle of rear and front are not obligatory , and do not comply as marker lights (over 400mm from outside edge of vehicle) , and are again not testable.
Front markers must be white if required , again the middle ones are not testable . HTSH

tansea

Free Member
Feb 4, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Oh Dear! My Motorhome is 2200mm wide and has one faulty LED marker light at the rear. It is due for an MOT so for the sake of 1mm I don't have choice, I've got to replace the faulty light. Here was me thinking that I could get away with it by fitting reflectors. Thanks to tacr2man for clarifying things. Now to source a replacement, could be difficult.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Oh Dear! My Motorhome is 2200mm wide and has one faulty LED marker light at the rear. It is due for an MOT so for the sake of 1mm I don't have choice, I've got to replace the faulty light. Here was me thinking that I could get away with it by fitting reflectors. Thanks to tacr2man for clarifying things. Now to source a replacement, could be difficult.
If you makes you feel better its 2100mm so you are 100mm over :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back