Marker lights MOT failure?

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by american37, Apr 8, 2008.

1. American Dream

American Dream

Ratings:
    +155
    Good Luck Martyn.:thumb:

BTW mine has amber at the front and Red to the rear.

Only problems I had was with one bad earth on a marker on the rear which I found before the MOT was done.

Seems he's a little overzealous.Do they test many RV's?

I can understand the thought that if it's fitted, it must work.I've been told this before during MOT's but the guys I use are very helpful and normally change bulbs, get it going for me if there is a problem.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. tansea

tansea Funster

Ratings:
    +4
    My MOT Station tell me that the high level marker lights at the rear of a motorhome are part of the test if they are there. The answer seems to be make sure that they are working properly and the lenses are red in colour or if at least one is not working then disconnect them both and cover the holes etc. with self adhesive red reflectors. You know it makes sense, or does it???

3. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

Ratings:
    +249
    I started reading the original post and was on page 2 before I noticed that the dates were 2008!!
    There have been many changes since then.

4. tansea

tansea Funster

Ratings:
    +4
    Seems to me that the dates of a thread are not significant if the subject matter remains relevant. Otherwise threads might just as well be deleted after a defined period of time. On this particular subject I do not know if there have been any changes but I think not as the previous messages in the thread suggest that the situation back in 2008 remains true today.

5. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +1,022
    If the vehicle is below 2.1 mtrs wide they are not required and are not testable .
    The bit about covering and taping over has to be read in conjunction with the not used other than daylight etc .
    This inspection applies to all vehicles, except those which either have no front or rear position lamps or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are: • only used during daylight hours, and not used at times of seriously reduced visibility.

only obligatory position lights needed ,
    The lights in middle of rear and front are not obligatory , and do not comply as marker lights (over 400mm from outside edge of vehicle) , and are again not testable.
    Front markers must be white if required , again the middle ones are not testable . HTSH

6. tansea

tansea Funster

Ratings:
    +4
    Oh Dear! My Motorhome is 2200mm wide and has one faulty LED marker light at the rear. It is due for an MOT so for the sake of 1mm I don't have choice, I've got to replace the faulty light. Here was me thinking that I could get away with it by fitting reflectors. Thanks to tacr2man for clarifying things. Now to source a replacement, could be difficult.

7. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +1,022
    If you makes you feel better its 2100mm so you are 100mm over :)

8. tansea

tansea Funster

Ratings:
    +4
    Silly me! so whats 99mm between friends. Still a bind :cry:

9. airwave

airwave Funster

Ratings:
    +677
    Hmmm interesting .

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017