Mar 2, 2023
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
FIAT ducato ecovip 1
Exp
Hi, have managed to get a Fiat ducato ecovip 1.1

Think I got a bargain but I am comepletely
New to Motorhome’s and the toilet had me stumped.

It’s a black tank waste system which I understand means there’s a tank underneath I empty…

Long rambling story short, I have no idea what this little handle is or how it works with the loo. The instruction manuals are very vague…. I have attached a pic of the handle

Thank you so much in advance

OP
OP
counteverast

counteverast

Free Member
Mar 2, 2023
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
FIAT ducato ecovip 1
Exp
Pic attached

24207B5E-8D74-4DE7-88F9-D67DE1099CF5.jpeg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I dont know precisely how Laika do it, but will be something like this : find the drain underneath the motorhome, probably behind a flap, remove the cover by turning anti clockwise and fit the pipe to it, putting other end in a suitable drain. Pull the lever on the gate valve shown and then pull the lever on the toilet. Wait for it to empty (it will come out fast) then close toilet one and find the one for your grey tank (shower, dishwater) etc. Open that one, wait for it to empty then close up. If you get it right then the grey water should clean up the black water. Its a good idea to have someone else pull the levers inside while you make sure outside is ok. A stick to hold the pipe in the drain can be useful.

1677738117919.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
The instructions suggest you may have a 17l cassette and a larger holding tank and can use either - but some of the text is missing in your photo. Do you have an outside locker where the toilet is with a cassette in it? If so I think the black handle opens the valve allowing the waste to flow into the holding tank, the photo shows an external gate valve under the van to empty that tank. - Need to see the instructions fully to be certain - then confirm you have what is in them!

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
There were several setups for this era of Laika vans. Black tank only, black tank plus a cassette or just a cassette. It looks like on yours you can empty some of the black tank into the cassette which can then be emptied at a conventional dump point (you may have to transfer from the black tank to the cassette several times to empty the black tank?). That's the handle next to the toilet. There can also be three similar looking handles under the back of the van (under the bike rack) and a large (4 inch?) outlet at the side. One of these handles will empty the black tank out of the 4 inch (you'll probably have (or need) a flexible extension pipe to connect from the 4 inch outlet to the drain you're dumping the black tank to. It comes at quite a rush so have everything ready and in place. One of the other handles on the back empties the grey waste through the same 4 inch outlet (so do this after the black tank to flush anything left in the pipes. The third handle at the back will empty the fresh water tank. This discharges from the middle under the van and needs no extra pipe (just be over a drain or on grass). I can't remember the order of the handles on the back of the van so will need to experiment.

OP
OP
counteverast

counteverast

Free Member
Mar 2, 2023
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
FIAT ducato ecovip 1
Exp
Thank you for the answers, I’ll have a go today filling with water and have a look.
I appreciate that my question might seem like a simple one to people who know what they are doing. I don’t.

I thought (foolishly it would appear) that forums such as this were for people to ask questions and learn.

If that’s not the case maybe put up a pinned post.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Looks like you've had some good advice to me.
But yes some vans have the black to be emptied first then the grey to clean out the black.

Not sure if that version needs an external pipe setup but if so then there will also be a handle on the outside.

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
I thought (foolishly it would appear) that forums such as this were for people to ask questions and learn.
Ask away and you'll get answers. I've learnt o lot from this forum, which is the friendliest one I've found. Can't assist you with this query as I've never had a black waste tank, but answers given should help. If not, maybe some pictures of levers and connections under the van will bring better answers.

OP
OP
counteverast

counteverast

Free Member
Mar 2, 2023
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
FIAT ducato ecovip 1
Exp
Simply asking for more pics would be the easiest thing there then. Not the stupid sarcastic unhelpful comments (that seem to have been removed)

As I said I’m a total newbie, my account wouldn’t allow me to post more than one pic.

However, I won’t make the mistake of asking again.

Thank you to the posters who have been helpful

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Simply asking for more pics would be the easiest thing there then. Not the stupid sarcastic unhelpful comments (that seem to have been removed)

As I said I’m a total newbie, my account wouldn’t allow me to post more than one pic.

Just as well cos youve ran out of your free posts.5 is the limit.
I think it just got off on the wrong foot...sorry I didn't see the offending posts hence my earlier reply...but its worth the membership..trust me..
Baby come back....baby come back...;)
You won't regret it when you need advice..
And anyway I want to know how you sorted your sh*t out..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Shame that I was late to remove the childish, insensitive and unnecessary replies to this first post. This lady has written me a nice note about why she won’t be joining us.

I told her that this was out of character and asked her to give us a second chance, but first impressions count, and we blew it; we came across as a cliquey, know-it-all bunch of arseholes, my words not hers.

Newbies are the lifeblood of Fun, without them it will eventually dissapear. Please show new members the respect and sensitivity you enjoyed when you first joined this place. Thanks

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

I'm sorry you feel this way but like Tombola, I didn't see the offending Post's either, and again like Tombola, I too believe it would have been well worth the Membership fee.

IF, in the future, you do decide to join, lighten up and learn to ignore some comments that do not answer your questions.
Remember, it is you who is taking advantage of the FREE first 5 Post service, and you that needs the advice.

Take care and Good Luck with your problem. (For what it's worth, I'm surprised that you, initially, did not go back in contact to the person who sold it too you. They should have gone through the Toilet system at handover time but as a Newbie, there is so much to remember I suppose.

My tip would be, in these days of mobile phones, take a video(if you have this facility on yours), you can return to it at a later date if you have queries.

As I said before, Good Luck! 🤞

PS. I have just seen the Post above that Jim wrote at the same time as I, and couldn't agree more. (happy that I didn't read the offending posts!)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
On the subject of black tanks. I have never knowingly seen a black emptying facility, other than the usual chemical emptying points, which come in various designs and I guess would not be suitable for this type of pipe discharge system. Therefore, is it acceptable to empty into a grey water manhole?

Geoff

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
On the subject of black tanks. I have never knowingly seen a black emptying facility, other than the usual chemical emptying points, which come in various designs and I guess would not be suitable for this type of pipe discharge system. Therefore, is it acceptable to empty into a grey water manhole?

Geoff

NO!
There used to be (probably still is) a number of drive over outlets on sites, where one, lifts the manhole cover, drive over and discharge your black waste, straight into the cassette emptying system.
Grey water system is, usually, a separate system.

Best/Always, ask the site warden.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Black tank emptying points are few and far between especially in the UK. Whether what you suggest is OK would depend on where the grey waste manhole goes but I would think generally not.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Black tank emptying points are few and far between especially in the UK. Whether what you suggest is OK would depend on where the grey waste manhole goes but I would think generally not.
Most campsite have some to dump black tanks if you ask.

I‘ve not had a plastic potty cassette thing on a camper for twenty odd years, but have had several campers with black tanks in the time

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
NO!
There used to be (probably still is) a number of drive over outlets on sites, where one, lifts the manhole cover, drive over and discharge your black waste, straight into the cassette emptying system.
Grey water system is, usually, a separate system.

Best/Always, ask the site warden.
I think you will find that Grey and Black is nearly always a combined system so I would say yes, sometimes you see a manhole next to the Grey waste drive over but this is just so that the discharge of Black waste is cleaner not leaving paper and other deposits on the drive over grid (y) I find that asking generally exposes the lack of understanding of Black tank and you usually get a blanket no.

There are essentially two type of Black tank, one where the deposits go straight into the tank much as it does in a cassette, this is then either discharged directly at a dump point so again it is no different to a cassette especially messy if dumped over a grid:unsure: or it can be discharged through a macerator making it no more than a brown slurry which goes through a grid no problem(y) the second type is where the deposits go through the macerator before entering the tank where they can sit and start the decomposition process, I add a little bit of slurry tank treatment and when we dump the tank there is nothing but Black water and of course sweetcorn:LOL: but certainly nothing to block the grid.

So back to "ask the site warden" if I ask "does the Black and Grey go to the same place" and the answer is yes then I believe I am good to dump in the Grey even over the grid, but if I ask the warden "can I dump the black tank over the Grey grid" the answer will be NO as they are thinking basically about dumping the contents of a cassette over the grid with the subsequent cleaning up.

We went to a recently set up site last year to talk with the guy about having a Morelo rally there (he is an owner but with a cassette" we got to the subject of Black waste and he said "it's round the back of the block" no access with the van or even a long pipe, I asked where the grey drive over (which was raised a couple of inched above ground) went and he said it all went to the sewage treatment plant and he started talking about it always getting blocked with wet wipes etc and he didn't want the grid blocking, I tried to explain what came out of a modern macerated Black tank system but the only way was to eventually show him and explain what was wrong with his 12 inch wide and 2 inches above ground drive over, he just help his head in his hands and said "I wish we had talked before I put this in".

Sorry, bit of a long post but there are different types of Black tank and an awful lot of ignorance.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most campsite have some to dump black tanks if you ask.

That was always my experience too. On the continent it's even easier, with so many European vans having the benefit of Marine tanks they are common. I've noted though that these days lots of the new Aire setups don't support a gravity dump, the black dump hole is raised, narrow and designed to take a cassette spout. So if I had a Marine tank today I'd definitly fit a good macerator to empty into that spout, something I missed on my last Marine tank van.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I think you will find that Grey and Black is nearly always a combined system so I would say yes, sometimes you see a manhole next to the Grey waste drive over but this is just so that the discharge of Black waste is cleaner not leaving paper and other deposits on the drive over grid (y) I find that asking generally exposes the lack of understanding of Black tank and you usually get a blanket no.

There are essentially two type of Black tank, one where the deposits go straight into the tank much as it does in a cassette, this is then either discharged directly at a dump point so again it is no different to a cassette especially messy if dumped over a grid:unsure: or it can be discharged through a macerator making it no more than a brown slurry which goes through a grid no problem(y) the second type is where the deposits go through the macerator before entering the tank where they can sit and start the decomposition process, I add a little bit of slurry tank treatment and when we dump the tank there is nothing but Black water and of course sweetcorn:LOL: but certainly nothing to block the grid.

So back to "ask the site warden" if I ask "does the Black and Grey go to the same place" and the answer is yes then I believe I am good to dump in the Grey even over the grid, but if I ask the warden "can I dump the black tank over the Grey grid" the answer will be NO as they are thinking basically about dumping the contents of a cassette over the grid with the subsequent cleaning up.

We went to a recently set up site last year to talk with the guy about having a Morelo rally there (he is an owner but with a cassette" we got to the subject of Black waste and he said "it's round the back of the block" no access with the van or even a long pipe, I asked where the grey drive over (which was raised a couple of inched above ground) went and he said it all went to the sewage treatment plant and he started talking about it always getting blocked with wet wipes etc and he didn't want the grid blocking, I tried to explain what came out of a modern macerated Black tank system but the only way was to eventually show him and explain what was wrong with his 12 inch wide and 2 inches above ground drive over, he just help his head in his hands and said "I wish we had talked before I put this in".

Sorry, bit of a long post but there are different types of Black tank and an awful lot of ignorance.

Without being disrespectful to anyone, there is a vast difference between your experience in a Morelo Palace than the 'usual' motorhomes and PVC which makes up the majority of 'Motorhome' vehicles.

I doubt if many have space, our even payload, for a macerator type toilet and if they did, most would have a large holding tank and know where/and how, these could be discharged.

but to get back to the subject, I doubt if a Camping Site operator, who had just put in an expensive Reed pond type water filtration system which is the 'Greener Alternative', would thank anyone for destroying it by emptying chemicals down it and, for this reason and many others, is why I advocated asking the Warden/Owner of the site before dumping anything, macerated or not. They can only say Yes or No! :giggle:
(Plus it shows some respect for the site and their hard work.)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC

You do not need to take your bat and ball home because of one or two posters. This forum is full of knowledgable people willing to help on so many subjects so patience is a virtue.
Pay the £20 subs it will save you £££££££s

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That was always my experience too. On the continent it's even easier, with so many European vans having the benefit of Marine tanks they are common. I've noted though that these days lots of the new Aire setups don't support a gravity dump, the black dump hole is raised, narrow and designed to take a cassette spout. So if I had a Marine tank today I'd definitly fit a good macerator to empty into that spout, something I missed on my last Marine tank van.
I did make a comment to CAMPRA about their design for above ground waste points but they said Black tanks were a minority so they weren't interested :unsure:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Without being disrespectful to anyone, there is a vast difference between your experience in a Morelo Palace than the 'usual' motorhomes and PVC which makes up the majority of 'Motorhome' vehicles.

I doubt if many have space, our even payload, for a macerator type toilet and if they did, most would have a large holding tank and know where/and how, these could be discharged.

but to get back to the subject, I doubt if a Camping Site operator, who had just put in an expensive Reed pond type water filtration system which is the 'Greener Alternative', would thank anyone for destroying it by emptying chemicals down it and, for this reason and many others, is why I advocated asking the Warden/Owner of the site before dumping anything, macerated or not. They can only say Yes or No! :giggle:
(Plus it shows some respect for the site and their hard work.)
You are right there is a difference between the system we have have and the cassette system found in most motorhomes and PVC, possibly not as "vast" as you might think though as we are all dealing with the same:unsure: commodity.

I absolutely don't mind asking and having a conversation but a sensible conversation requires a bit of knowledge on both sides and I have found site wardens to be lacking and just give a blanket NO without actually understanding why they are saying that, the example I gave was a motorhome owner setting up a new site and wanting to attract MORELO's for a rally as he had one himself and was on the Facebook MORELO owners, he was fixated on wet wipes as they were the bain of his life cleaning the pre-filter on his digester plant, explaining that it was simply impossible to discharge a wet wipes onto his grid with a macerator system just didn't seem to register.

Could a Reed pond filtration system handle cassette blue?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Is that some reverse snobbery in play there? :D Morelos are not different to the 'usual'. Lots of vehicles have marine tanks, my mates 25 year old hymer has a marine tank, so when emptying, enjoys the very same experience as someone in a Morelo.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My van had a 45l black tank, with slide valve immediately below and a foot back from rear wheel. The grey tank was also 50l and in the centre st the rear. If not possible to dump straight into a drain a bucket was used.

Geoff
Canterbury Park and ride has one.aNd no you cannot empty down a grey waste manhole.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is that some reverse snobbery in play there? :D Morelos are not different to the 'usual'. Lots of vehicles have marine tanks, my mates 25 year old hymer has a marine tank, so when emptying, enjoys the very same experience as someone in a Morelo.
Not quite true Jim as the older "marine tanks" are usually just a drop toilet where most of the modern stuff and certainly Morelo are macerated into the tank which all make for a different experience when dumping, I might even contemplate selling tickets at Peterborough :LOL:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My van had a 45l black tank, with slide valve immediately below and a foot back from rear wheel. The grey tank was also 50l and in the centre st the rear. If not possible to dump straight into a drain a bucket was used.

Canterbury Park and ride has one.aNd no you cannot empty down a grey waste manhole.
Why not? genuine question BTW as I think I did :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back