Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
morning i have just brought 4ft marine tank with a 4ft sump with it plus all the other bits and bobs. does any body now it you can get a controler that works the lights on a timer ans also checks the water condition? :Smile:

SmellyFeet

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Less Than 1 Year
I've kept a amrine tank for about five years. My lights T5s run off ordinary household plug in timers. Unless anything has changed over the last few years water quality is down to you. You can get auto top up units and temp. alarms, but everything else is manual.

The books all tell you about salt content, ph, nitrate, ammonia and nitrite, but phosphate is also a good one to keep an eye on.

www.marinefishuk.co.uk well worth a look.

The most valuable think I learnt about keeping marines is that there are as many opinions as there are fish out there, so take everything anybody (myself included) tells you with a huge pinch of salt, reef friendly of course. A dealer once told me that a pulsing xenia would consume nitrate in a tank. This is no lie, it will ( a gnats worth), and I bought some from him. This was to be the last purchase I ever made from him.

Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we have two freshwater tanks, 55ltr and 200ltr and like Dave, we use a couple of ordinary cheap plug in timers.

water quality and control will be down to you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Gosh, hope you have someone to look after it when you go away in the van - some of our biking mates used to have them but could never find anyone with sufficient nous to look after them when they went away on holiday.

One lost all the water twice - came home to literally floods and an almighty stink. He had had a fresh water aquarium for about a million years prior to that with no mishaps at all. Anyway, good luck and don't forget to get a couple of 'Pierres' (cleaner shrimps) - I love watching them!

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
Good luck - I would love a marine set up .... but its the maintanance that puts me off.... it would limit our MH time !!

We have freshwater setups and understock them and overfilter in a big way to reduce the frequency of water changes required... so we only have to persuade someone to feed our tiddlers when we are away..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back