March 2017 Book - The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (1 Viewer)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Hello all

March MHF bookclub choice by me is :

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

There is a free version for the kindle on Amazon. Otherwise a paperback version seems to retail at about £2 ( or less ).

Synopsis :
The Moonstone, a yellow diamond looted from an Indian temple and believed to bring bad luck to its owner, is bequeathed to Rachel Verinder on her eighteenth birthday. That very night the priceless stone is stolen again and when Sergeant Cuff is brought in to investigate the crime, he soon realizes that no one in Rachel’s household is above suspicion. Hailed by T. S. Eliot as ‘the first, the longest, and the best of modern English detective novels’, "The Moonstone" is a marvellously taut and intricate tale of mystery, in which facts and memory can prove treacherous and not everyone is as they first appear.

Happy reading

Jenben.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just got it on Kindle. I'll see how I get on after I've finished the book I am now reading.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Jenben ... will order it on Kindle ....

:) Just loving the way this book club makes me read books I would normaly think 'nah' .... but opens my mind and opinions. Love it .. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Just got it on my Kindle For PC.
Like Joy @movan , I like the way I'm reading 'otherstuff' - I've always meant to read Wilkie Collins but never got round to it! - so thanks for that @Jenben (y)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Oooooh I've got this on my kindle too but never got round to reading it or indeed anything by Wilkie Collins. thank you

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Think I read this when young, but have had it on my Kindle for a while, will give it a go.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Started it yesterday :)

I like mysteries and who-done-its and so on. Will see how I get on with it - it does seem familiar so maybe I've read something similar or seen a film based on the novel.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Help please. Just went on internet .. and it said Hello Joy .. so correctly identified me.

I ordered the free kindle version and it said it will be downloaded to my kindle. That was about an hour ago. Just switched kindle on and it not there.

How long should I wait before I go and try and download it again please? How long should it take?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
@movan Joy, please tell me you have remembered to turn on the wifi !
Sometimes get a surprise at the number I get downloaded when I switch mine on.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Just switched kindle on and it not there.
I think it has to be switched on to download. Is it connected to the internet? I have a very old Kindle and I can look to see if anything is downloading or what is pending. It usually only takes seconds for a book to download.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have more than one device, such as a phone, tablet and pc, all with Kindle installed then one will be set up as the default. To send it to another device you can to go into your Amazon account and select "manage content & devices". You can also from within a Kindle app go to your library and select "all items". You can then see stuff you have bought but not downloaded to that device. :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks, John @John Laidler , done it. :)

Have to say, yet another book I would not normally have read but making myself read them all to try and make this club a success for @Allan & Loren :) ... They are certainly broadening my horizon.... even though I struggle quite a lot with some of them....

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, John @John Laidler , done it. :)

Have to say, yet another book I would not normally have read but making myself read them all to try and make this club a success for @Allan & Loren :) ... They are certainly broadening my horizon.... even though I struggle quite a lot with some of them....
I have to agree, this book club is really broadening my reading too which can only be good. It will be great to look back at the end of the year and summarise our experiences of the books we have read.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's been on TV in the last couple of years. I haven' read it but vividly remember it being on (early Sunday evening serials) on TV when I was younger. Also Rebecca, David Copperfield and all sorts of classics. I'm still frightened - cos I can still see Magwitch !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's been on TV in the last couple of years. I haven' read it but vividly remember it being on (early Sunday evening serials) on TV when I was younger. Also Rebecca, David Copperfield and all sorts of classics. I'm still frightened - cos I can still see Magwitch !
I remember those serials - and Magwitch too. "Bring me a file boy!" No less effective but probably more so for being in black and white and watched sitting in front of a coal fire. :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
So what happens after we do finish it? Sorry to be ignorant but I have actually finished the book and don't want to spoil it for anyone else :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I remember those serials - and Magwitch too. "Bring me a file boy!" No less effective but probably more so for being in black and white and watched sitting in front of a coal fire. :)

ISTR that The Moonstone started with an elderly man relating the story of it to someone younger - elderly uncle and nephew sort of thing - old chap wearing an ornate, dark brocade smoking jacket and hat/cap in a Victorian living room with no lighting except a roaring fire in a Victorian grate whilst we sat in our Victorian terrace in front of a less than roaring coal fire in a horrible 'modern' LOL brown and white 'marbled'? tiled grate in front of well - more a 40 shades of grey than black and white, in truth, telly ! Being Sunday, the fireguard wasn't adorned with wet washing nor was there a clothes horse bearing ditto round the hearth stopping the warmth very efficiently - unlike tomorrows - ie Mondays - always were in winter otherwise .....

Let's face it John, winters you either froze or burned whichever bit of your bare legs you managed to wangle into the 6 square feet of warmth that managed to get into the room! Your top was probably OK since us girls always had to wear a hand knitted obviously cardigan and no doubt whatever, you'd have had your ditto long sleeved pullover !

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

I shan't continue reading the thread - cos I can't remember how it finished, who dunnit, whether they found the Indians or wot - so - I might well download it myself !

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I will join the book club next month, as I've already read The moonstone. Collins was a good friend of Dickens, and we have a copy of a letter written to Cliff's ancestor who owned the pub in Hesket Newmarket, Cumbria to say that Dickens and Collins spent a pleasant night in the lodgings etc etc. When we visited the pub, it had been taken over as a village owned pub, the first in England and opened by Prince Charles - but I have to say it was the coldest welcome in a pub we have ever experienced.... Perhaps they thought Cliff was after his inheritance!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I will join the book club next month, as I've already read The moonstone. Collins was a good friend of Dickens, and we have a copy of a letter written to Cliff's ancestor who owned the pub in Hesket Newmarket, Cumbria to say that Dickens and Collins spent a pleasant night in the lodgings etc etc. When we visited the pub, it had been taken over as a village owned pub, the first in England and opened by Prince Charles - but I have to say it was the coldest welcome in a pub we have ever experienced.... Perhaps they thought Cliff was after his inheritance!

....and was he... ;)

Thanks for that Geri.

I love it when these book threads diverse into some really interesting facts .... it's such a pity we can't install enthusiasm into more people. :(

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Joy, just found the cutting from the BBC Home Page for Cumbria:

b227d3356416c0904ab68d0cac25d385374461cf.jpg

'Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins once passed through in 1857 on a walking holiday.

Dickens gave a delightful account of the Inn and how Joseph Porter "with his ruddy cheek, a bright eye, a well knit frame, an immense hand, a cheery voice and a straight bright look" showed them to his best room upstairs. The Inn became a private dwelling house sometime between 1876 and 1894. Later it was referred to locally as Dickens House.'

Does Joseph Porter remind you of anyone....... ;)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I haven't finished this book yet as I've been away skiing and I'm so exhausted by the end of the day I go straight to sleep! Must be an age thing as I used to be able to hack the pace!!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm just confused :)
Kept falling asleep with 3 men in a boat.
Won't be re-reading Black Beauty - these days I avoid anything that I know will make me unhappy.
Forgot all about the Moonstone!

Hope I'll get back on track once I get back to Cornwall.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back