March 2017 Book - The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (2 Viewers)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I must confess I don't really think much of The Moonstone. :(
At the risk of being labeled a spoiler the answer to the mystery is nothing really ever happened. I know the book is held up as some sort of example of the first detective story but to me it would have helped if an actual crime had been committed. :)
It is an atmospheric and enjoyable read - until you get to the big let down at the end when you discover you have been led up a path which goes nowhere.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I must confess I don't really think much of The Moonstone. :(
At the risk of being labeled a spoiler the answer to the mystery is nothing really ever happened. I know the book is held up as some sort of example of the first detective story but to me it would have helped if an actual crime had been committed. :)
It is an atmospheric and enjoyable read - until you get to the big let down at the end when you discover you have been led up a path which goes nowhere.

Have to agree John. I enjoyed the first third of the book but then it 'was just too long' . . and agree re your comments. Thought the writer was pretty good with his descriptions. Glad I read it but did struggle to keep going as not my kind of book. . .

Reactions: DBK

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
@movan and @John Laidler i agree with your comments. I've been really struggling to read this as although I enjoyed the descriptive writing, nothing seems to be happening to draw me in and keep my interest. I'm only about half way through so just kept turning the pages thinking it would get going. I'm on black beauty though now and will try and come back to it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back