Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
When you go to France do you take the small Michelin maps or a road atlas of France.
I don't want to rely on just a sat nav.
Rich

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Yup, same as scousebird (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
An atlas is very convenient to use but for planning your grand tour of any country you can't beat a map which shows the whole country on one sheet, probably at something like 1:400,000 scale. Best used on the dining room table of course!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Agree with DevonBeekeeper, that a whole-country map is useful for trip planning.

And whilst the detail on the Michelin road atlas is excellent, I also like the AA Big Road Atlas for France because it is much easier to distinguish between toll and non-toll motorways. It is also lighter weight and easier to handle than the Michelin map.

The Collins France Big Road Atlas is good too, and a couple of pounds cheaper than the AA one at the moment.

I've got both the AA & Collins 2015 editions (one came unexpectedly as a Christmas present after I'd already purchased the other), plus my trusty 2011 version of the Michelin Atlas for backup.

Mike

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Our favourite map book is the Michelin laminated atlas.

It is a bit heavy but is small enough to have on the navigators lap.
I say navigator but the memsahib's map reading skill is a bit hit and miss so I look at the route beforehand and then mark the map with a marker pen.
Being laminated plastic the marker can just be wiped off after you arrive at your destination.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I don't have one. Three mobiles two of which have a couple of offline maps each installed and a TomTom as a spare..

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I thought someone might say that! Her who talks with the sexy voice but is quite often useless just when you really need her not to be.
That's not me btw:angel:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I believe in a road atlas to support sat nav and logic, but don't wait till you get to France to buy one, they are more expensive in supermarkets than here, presuming you shop around, but definitely do not pay full retail price at the ferry terminals

I do like the spiral bound versions, they seem to last longer, but we also replace ours every couple of years to try and keep up with road changes, a real pet hate of mine with sat naves that despite being updates don't know about roads that have clearly been open for months :mad:

good prompt for me to check ours we are off to France again in 2 weeks :)(y)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a sat nav and a couple of ipads.. At least 2 mobiles... We have got a Collins map book stuffed away somewhere but just don't use it.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We take both, plus highlighter pens to mark out our route... Our satnav voice is Tom Baker, so very nice!

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
rich g

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
:)Thank you for all your replies,I already have a map of France and I have just placed
An order for a Michelin Laminated Atlas,I like the idea of being able to mark out the route. :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
AA map of Europe and 3 satnavs. Only use a map to see where places are in relation to where we are. I don't plan routes, where's your sense of adventure?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Can you get the AA big road one for Spain and Portagal .

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We just bought the AA Big Road Atlas FRANCE 1:280,000 (4 1/2 miles to 1") 2015 edition from The Works at half price (ÂŁ9.99 to ÂŁ4.99) after we almost wandered on to a new toll road near Bergerac that wasn't even shown on our 'old' atlas.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Autoroute on the netbook & run it in tandem with the satnav as the mapping gives you a good idea of road widths & it allows us to log all our stops for future reference.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Our favourite map book is the Michelin laminated atlas.

It is a bit heavy but is small enough to have on the navigators lap.
I say navigator but the memsahib's map reading skill is a bit hit and miss so I look at the route beforehand and then mark the map with a marker pen.
Being laminated plastic the marker can just be wiped off after you arrive at your destination.

Brilliant idea - Thank You (y)(y)(y)

and I had a gift card for Amazon so I also bought a disc to stick the Garmin on the dash (no more reaching or removing it from the windscreen) total cost Nil :love:

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I have just placed an order for the aa europe map and aa france map from the works as well. They have 25% off if ordered on line today only and free pick up from local store :)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I have a small scale map, so you can see the country as a whole, and a large scale for greater detail. I just love maps :)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I keep a couple of updated paper maps, have a Chinese truck Satnav (unreliable!) ,and at the moment trialling both TomTom and Garmin Satnavs. I also have an old mini laptop that I run on a small step between us in the cab. On it in this country I run a GPS version of Memory Map which has a moving split screen OS map at 50,000 and 200,000. This is my favorite in this country. If any of the Satnavs tell me to make a turn that I'm unsure about I can check MM and see where I am and what's around. It's also brilliant for finding interesting sites, parking areas and campsites around me. It also tracks a trail of our route allowing me to do it again in the future. In Europe I use Autoroute in the same way but it does not show the detail that MM has. If the electronics and papermaps don't work I still have the backup.....Nagnav!!:giggler:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back