Maps me (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Can anyone help a numpty please? I have Maps me on my mobile and have used it constantly however I bought a large SD card as the number of maps were fast using up all my device storage. I had downloaded the maps I wanted and moved them to the SD card. Problem was when I wanted to open Maps me it wanted to download my home map ...Wales. When I checked other areas nothing was available just asked to download again. I tried moving all the Maps from SD back to the device storage but still they didn't show. I have uninstalled and still playing but any sound knowledge would be gratefully received.

Hilary

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would start by downloading again and getting rid of the ones on storage, you can just delete the ones you don't use and then download again when you need them WiFi depending of course.

I don't know if you can tell maps me where to look for it's maps but I guess that is your problem.

Martin

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have a Samsung 6 android phone and a separate 32 GB SD Card which is new and formatted. I too had Maps.me on this device and it was working well when the maps were stored in the phones memory. I transferred the map storage location. (go into settings and select where maps and downloads will be stored) from my phone to the SD card and whilst the transfer was successful the application could not see where the maps were stored and attempted to download maps again. I deleted the whole lot, including the application and started from scratch. This time it worked until i removed the SD card and then inserted it again and I was back to square one. I contacted Maps.me and they suggested it was a problem with my SD card. Yet I am convinced it's a problem with maps.me. The application works great as long as the maps are stored in the same place as the application but once moved onto a SD card it repeatedly fails. I no longer use it on my phone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Thats what is happening to me. Mine is a samsung A3 2016 with a new Scandisk 32GB card. My
Problem is to have all France Spain UK Belgium Italy on my device leaves no space. To have some as stand by on SD to transfer when needed doesn't appear to work.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I transferred Maps.me to SD card, didn't bother trying to transfer the maps I just downloaded them again, they got saved to the SD card and it worked OK.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I transferred Maps.me to SD card, didn't bother trying to transfer the maps I just downloaded them again they they got saved to the SD card and it worked OK.
That would make sense as it will save and look for files on the drive it is running from.

Martin

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
These phones that say memory can be added to on a card is not really correct , most apps that need memory won't work off the card as I find , I have here maps and sygic maps and I can put the maps on to the card but not the app, and have found they don't work as they should unless the maps are in the phone memory.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have had a Motorola and now got a Samsung and find you can't really use the card for anything but photos and with all these cloud things you don't need that either.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I transferred Maps.me to SD card, didn't bother trying to transfer the maps I just downloaded them again, they got saved to the SD card and it worked OK.
That makes sense! So, I have just tried it and the app keeps crashing when trying to open. So! I have put everything in the same folder on the SD Card (application and map downloads) and the application cant see the maps and tries to download to the phone again. I'll try again in a year or so in the hope they have it sorted out.

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Well I think Ive cracked it but not sure exactly how. I uninstalled the app. When I re installed it I found a menu to allow the app to access the SD card. Then downloaded all maps to the SD card and "voila" ....untill it proves me wrong. At least I have some room on my internal storage. I did manage to explore my SD card before but can't remember how. I can explore the device storage by pressing the "internal storage" in storage which opens up a menu at the bottom of which it says explore ..this lists all files and contents. If I do this on the SD card it just offers demount or format.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have noticed recently that they have changed the mapping policy splitting maps into smaller segments. Good idea if short of memory but it has caused me much downloading.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Last time I updated I was told I was short on memory even though I'd transferred the app to the SD card. I aborted but looking again just now it shows they're up to date, strange.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but looking again just now it shows they're up to date, strange.

On android there is a setting in Play Store ( what a crap name ! ) to turn on/off automatic updates, I turn it off, I like to know what I'm getting.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
On android there is a setting in Play Store ( what a crap name ! ) to turn on/off automatic updates, I turn it off, I like to know what I'm getting.

Me too, it tells me when there are updates so there's a choice whether to download, I usually do it on next door's wifi. (y)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago so I emailed maps.me (at the time it was marat@maps.me ) and got this reply

Hello!

Please check app’s menu - Settings - Maps storage and select your SD card from the list.

!cid_4FDE65D7-5CBC-4253-988D-278329F752A5@mail.png
!cid_92B9A52B-BA71-4EA5-9051-651ADE97B62D@mail.png

If you don’t see this tab, try to take out your SD and put it back again, reboot your device. In addition, try to format SD card (FAT file system) and create Android/data/com.mapswithme.maps.pro/files folder on SD card.

Best regards,

Marat
MAPS.ME

Open the maps.me app. Bottom RHS of page there is three horizontal lines with a red dot on the top one.

Click on this and select settings

Scroll down a little and select "Save Maps to" and it should give you the option of Internal Storage or SD card.

Click on the button for SD Card

Hope this helps.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nothing to do with your problem but might be, if you download maps in here maps you don't have to have wifi switched on when searching or else it ignores your downloaded maps and does a google search for what you put in. But if wifi is off it just goes straight to your stored maps.

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Have enabled the Do not update automatically as suggested. Seems to be running OK and left me space on my internal storage. Thanks all for your help

H

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I believe that Android was changed so that, in all except old Android versions, each app has a designated data storage area, and can only store and retrieve data from its own area.

So first, you have to tell the app where to store the data (Phone memory or SD card). Then, secondly, get the app to download the maps itself and put it in the correct place. If you just move the map data around yourself, the app cannot use it.

Apparently this is a security issue, because it was too easy to hack when you could tell an app to use any data anywhere.

It's possible to discover where the data should be stored, and transfer it there yourself if you know what you are doing, but then you wouldn't need me to be telling you this...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back