Mapping completed tours (1 Viewer)

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
I would like to produce electronic/digital maps of trips we’ve been on over the last 10 years. Mostly EU, but a few longer UK tours.
Any suggestions?

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
You can do it automatically with some trackers:

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 21.21.51.png

But for the historic trips...

Hmmm.... ?

Google Earth is probably your best bet?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Careful with the coming 90 in 180 day rule in Schengen, or even the current 90 day limit in any one country.

They will know where you are/have been

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Loveshack

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
I’ll have a look.
Campsites, sights, major landmarks.
Not bothered about every twist and turn. A tracker sounded a good idea, but I’d forget to start it every day and correcting my mistakes would become a chore.
I’m trying to do something with photo’s, scrapbook style, to have something to flick through on dark winter nights. Had a project in mind for a few years.

OP
OP
Loveshack

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
Careful with the coming 90 in 180 day rule in Schengen, or even the current 90 day limit in any one country.

They will know where you are/have been
That’s not going to affect us, we can live with restrictions.
Feeling less of a European will hurt tho’

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Why not make a "document"?
If you used, for example, Microsoft Word you create a book with maps, text, pictures etc.
Maybe you could make available for others to read/learn from.
Phil

OP
OP
Loveshack

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
Hi Phil,
I think I can do the photo’s and texts stuff in “Pages” on the iMac, but locating places on maps and annotating is the one I can’t crack.
I think I did an apporox map of our first trip around France, but finding it in Google Maps for example would require username, password etc, from 10 years ago. Then things have moved on since then, could I access it now?

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
I use an app called “Journi Blog”. It uses the metadata in the photo’s to put them in chronological order and gives you a map (taken from the photo if geo tagged) on the front page that shows which country/cities you’ve visited in that particular “book” that you create. We create 1 book for each year, add a small handful of the best photo’s each day and pop in a short paragraph about the place if it was interesting, at the end of the year we turn the blog into a Printable Book (OK....the software does this!) and then pay about £30 for a hardback printed book of the year - nice momento to pop in the bookcase.

Rgds

Jim

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Google Maps. Having had the same issue we now use 'My Timeline' for any current trips - logs automatically where you are, or where your phone is, and produces a good history which can use either as crow flies between places or you can drag to specific nearest roads to show the actual route. Once it hits a road it will contour to that road. It is also date/time specific. Some maybe bothered about 'big brother' knowing where you are but really we are not that interesting and not into drug smuggling.

For retrospective trips we are going through the process of going through individual trips keying in towns/villages, or a marker you can actually plot on a map. You can only use something like 30 places in one map (sorry cannot remember exactly) but all you do is add a sub set and you can add hundreds if need be. I will re educate myself how to do this and re post. Works really very well for us and is very interesting. Plus it gives you all the data if need be - dates miles/km etc. Also quite stunning to look back on our travels on a map to other continents.

You can also do this by 'Creating a New Map'. When you double click on a place it brings up a google reference to that place. Good luck - worth the effort whatever system you use.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 06.31.48.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 06.31.48.png
    293.7 KB · Views: 22
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Just had a look at 'Polarsteps' posted by 'Clarky' - it look very good and worth looking into.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are happy to let Google track the location of your phone the Google Timeline feature might work for you in the future, although it may only work for Android devices.

For example we arrived at Ouistreham the other day and drove to an aire via a supermarket. This is what the trip appears like on Google Maps.

Screenshot_20190901-080141.png

Then the next day we explored on foot.

Screenshot_20190901-080242.png

Sadly, it doesn't have the ability to display a track over more than a day at a time. In theory it may be possible to download the data and combine it into a kml file for display on Google Earth but I haven't tried that. The data is stored and I can look back several years now to where I was on a specific day.

A useful feature for me is Google knows where any photograph I upload to Google Photos was taken. It does this by looking at the time the photo was taken then looking at my Timeline to see where I was then. The thumbnail photos you can see above were taken using my camera not my phone. It isn't foolproof as it depends on the phone having a reliable position signal but it works well enough and you can edit the timeline to correct errors. For example, in the second image above it has me jumping about all over the place due to these inaccuracies but the overall shape of the track is correct which is good enough.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you are happy to let Google track the location of your phone the Google Timeline feature might work for you in the future, although it may only work for Android devices.

For example we arrived at Ouistreham the other day and drove to an aire via a supermarket. This is what the trip appears like on Google Maps.

View attachment 328113

Then the next day we explored on foot.

View attachment 328114

Sadly, it doesn't have the ability to display a track over more than a day at a time. In theory it may be possible to download the data and combine it into a kml file for display on Google Earth but I haven't tried that. The data is stored and I can look back several years now to where I was on a specific day.

A useful feature for me is Google knows where any photograph I upload to Google Photos was taken. It does this by looking at the time the photo was taken then looking at my Timeline to see where I was then. The thumbnail photos you can see above were taken using my camera not my phone. It isn't foolproof as it depends on the phone having a reliable position signal but it works well enough and you can edit the timeline to correct errors. For example, in the second image above it has me jumping about all over the place due to these inaccuracies but the overall shape of the track is correct which is good enough.
Google will tell you where you have been for years back, this is one example
Screenshot_20190901-075309.png

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Indeed, but I haven't found a way to get it to plot a route joining all these dots. It also has its quirks, the dot in the Baltic is Google telling me I've been to Europe. :)

RJL-Google-Timeline-2015.png

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I use Garmin's 'Mapsource' to keep a record of our trips, works well and is a good resource for previous locations/routes.

This is our recent trip.
67084381_10217740050147224_7867805509842108416_n.jpg

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We use track my tour. You do need to remember to add a photo each day, but I use it as a campsite/Aire review thing as well. Produces a map, but does not track the journey.

The Simpsons

Free Member
Jul 29, 2019
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie ex caravan
If you use google maps you can create routes. Then use an image grab app like snippit, which allows you to annotate and save as jpeg image.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Loveshack

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
I like the look of the Garmin “map source” , but not looking to buy a Garmin satnav.
I’ve experimented with Google Maps since last night and can produce a map of places visited, by adding points sequentially, from diary entries, so this looks like a starting point.
I’ll be happy to produce a manually created scrapbook with notes and sketches with a map for reference only. Simplifying daily journies will be good, we do tend to backtrack a bit.

I’ll investigate other apps, thanks all

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
like the look of the Garmin “map source” , but not looking to buy a Garmin satnav.
I'm not sure if you need to buy a Garmin satnav to use Mapsource.

You may be able to download it from their website.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Indeed, but I haven't found a way to get it to plot a route joining all these dots. It also has its quirks, the dot in the Baltic is Google telling me I've been to Europe. :)

View attachment 328131
If you do find out how to do it , I'd be very interested in how you do it.

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Is that Journi Travel, Jim? Seems like this one is £48 for an annual subsscription.

Photo attached, I think there is a subscription version but I don’t bother with it.

Attachments

• C9C2D4E9-C964-4496-8A6B-80F248C2F4CE.png
    C9C2D4E9-C964-4496-8A6B-80F248C2F4CE.png
    462.7 KB · Views: 12

Steve Taylor

Free Member
Jul 7, 2010
Greatstone on Sea, Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2009
Going back to Polarsteps, I use it. When I first installed it, it looked at the photo's already on my Ipad and suggested retrospective trips, one of which I kept. So, it occurs to me that if you put all your pictures (assuming that they have geometric data) onto your device before installing Polarsteps, it may well do the same for you...

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I’ll have a look.
Campsites, sights, major landmarks.
Not bothered about every twist and turn. A tracker sounded a good idea, but I’d forget to start it every day and correcting my mistakes would become a chore.
I’m trying to do something with photo’s, scrapbook style, to have something to flick through on dark winter nights. Had a project in mind for a few years.
I keep a log too, one of Jim's earlier versions. Poor to the diary

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back