Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I've noticed these over the years and the price seems to drop by £50 every so often. Has anyone tried one and with what results?
Cheers, John

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That was soooo spookey. I have just come on to ask about this as well.

Unfortunately I don't have a TV and don't want one either so I will need a scart to USB converter as well :Doh:

I only want it to watch the F1 on RTL. Not prepared to spend a fortune on it or use valuable storage space...

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
You might be better off with a digital dongle.

I've used these before and they do work quite well, Maplins do them, but they may be even cheaper online.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Still need the satellite system to recieve RTL

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
When they drop to the £50 ish level then they are a good buy as a starter kit.
The receiver is the most valuable bit. The dish is "adequate" as a starter but screws and holding bolts will fail over time. However you can get a cheap Sky dish off ebay as a future replacement. Cable in these is low quality but again will do the job and you can always buy better at a later date.

Aldi are the biggest importers so catch them when they do the deals. Maplins also discount at times.
An alternative is to buy the kit parts via ebay and get a slightly larger dish. Most of these receivers all come from the same source and re-branded ie. Commag, Maxview, etc
Get a 12v version as you can wire direct to your vehicle supply.

Link Removed

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thanks

I'll look out for those. I don't actually watch much live TV, even at home, preferring to watch on catch up when it suits me, but it would be useful to have live TV on board.

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
I have an almost new Maxview suitcase system in the shed if anyone wants to make me an offer :Blush:

Only used a couple of times then replaced with a dome. No receiver with it - we use an old Sky box. PM me if interested.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi

The maplin one to be the same as the one I use, which came from Lidl.

I use it with the laptop feeding it in as the thread http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/tv-satellite/34264-satellite-tv-laptop.html

The only problem can be aligning the dish without a seperate meter, this can be a slow job due to the delays in processing the digital signals. This delay makes the built in tone indicator slow to react and often you will have passed the satelite position before it has time to react.

Mike

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
They work ok, the trick is to align (move) the dish a fraction at a time and stop giving the rest of the gubbings time to catch up as said can easily go past the setting you want, and i will tell you the first few times you try to set it up you will probably be swearing and ready to launch it but dont just take it slow and easy - remember a fraction of movement at the dish is a big movement by the time it is at the satellites and they are in a group of four so it is easy to locate the wrong one.
It is one of those things that practice makes perfect - within reason. you not only have the vertical but also the horizontal movements to get used to

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back