maplins sat system (1 Viewer)

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
can anyone tell me the difference between the two suitcase sat systems that maplins do ? they are advertising a b grade portable one at £69 ref b69cj
(appears similar to aldi one) then they have a b grade "straight to scart" suitcase system at £29 refb69cj they both appear to be dual voltage etc so why the big difference in price ?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi just had a look and the £30.00 one comes with a scart plug receiver and the £70.00 one comes with a normal type receiver if your short of space then go for the £30 one as it will plug directly into the scart socket on the back of your tv.:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
H

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
does it still pick up the same channels then and what part would be connected to the power sorce if there is no receiver ?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
it should pick up the same channels and the receiver is built into the scart plug unit:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You have given wrong info ie the same ref No for both systems so I cant check,
I would be concerned that anything that said straight to scart would be to provide sat signal direct to a TV with built in decoder, hence the cheaper price no decoder included:cry:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yup aba right built intowhat looks like a large scart plug:thumb: so from a pratical point of view it will do exactly the same as the other
Geo

OP
OP
H

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
it seems like it could be very practical for use in motorhomes /campers where space is at a premium ! and at £29 ! i am really surprised i have not seen it mentioned on this forum before ,considering the buying frenzy that seems to erupt whenever the £59 sets go on sale at aldi with people standing outside waiting for the store to open ! or am i missing something ! please tell me before i order one !!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Thanks for posting this , as you say, it's never been discussed before.. never knew they made a unit like this..

My thoughts:

It's powered from the TV , one less plug required..

I wonder how the remote works with the unit behind the TV .. I guess it must or they wouldn't sell it, but worth asking the question.

It doesn't come with a suction mount for the dish.. may or may not be a problem.

Requires a more space behind the TV .. again, may or may not be an issue..

Otherwise.. great .. one less box to find space for and Maplin will give a full refund if your not happy with it..

Please go for it and give us a full review .. :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Although I have an automatic system on the van I also carry a back up unit ( yer I know., talk about OTT! )
It is an Aldi cheapo which is pretty much the same as the Maplin ones..

Once you get your head round it they take but a few minutes to set up.

One mistake I see time and again though, when you set up the dish, do make sure you have it aimed at the right Sky sat !

The signal coming from Astra 1 ( 19 degrees east of south at 27 degrees azimuth at or around 52 lat degrees north) is massive and easy to find.. You aim at that and have the box set to Astra 2d and you will get not a lot !!

Astra 2d ( the one where all the normal Sky stuff can be found ) is a little further round to the east at 28.2 degrees east of south and about 21 degrees Azimuth ( that azimuth last from memory but is close enough )

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
:thumb: I have just purchased an Aldi Sat system " in a suitcase " £59 got it home fixed it to the bike rack fiddled about with the wires and dish for about 30 minutes and bingo Astra 2 satalite located with the signal finder included with the kit and masses of free to air chanels loaded crystal clear reception hoping it will work in Nothern France if so I will be right chuffed and money well spent :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Slightly digressing ... but we are talking Maplins!

I got some of these the other week from Peterborough ... absolutely brilliant! They really are made very well - to get them to 'talk' you just flick the 'stalk' on top of the apple and it tells you the time and temperature.

Link Removed

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I ordered some yesterday and they arrived this morning. Comes with a suction mount and a small magic eye for the remote, the reciever is no bigger than a packet of cigs. Also comes with a 240v and 12v powe supply.
If anyone is thinking of buying one, for £30 you cant go wrong.

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back