Manoeuvring on site: are walkie-talkies a good idea? (1 Viewer)

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
While we were at Camping Kikopark in Spain in January the motorhome in the picture below was being turned round prior to leaving the next morning. The driver and his wife were both using walkie-talkies to assist manoeuvring, rather than hand-signals, shouting, banging the back of the van or mobile phones.

fullsizeoutput_50b1.jpeg

At the moment my wife stands at the back of the van in view of my mirror and uses hand-signals to help me park.

At Camping Los Pinos in Denia it was an especially difficult experience, although we managed it without damaging the van or the surrounding trees. Great campsite by the way.
fullsizeoutput_5083.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5084.jpeg

I have been thinking about buying walkie-talkies. Has anyone had experience of using them?

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have them, I really like them, my wife is always too embarrassed to use them - I don't know why - they are great at supermarkets and going off to the campsite shop. Not much use though if only one person will talk :)

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Do you mean when manoeuvring on site, it's probably another distraction you could do without.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We are 9m+, when it’s a tight manouver mirrors and reversing cameras don’t talk, what with tight spaces and then Trees,lighting posts,pitch markers,electric/water stations etc etc, we don’t use walkie talkies but we both have mobile phones, I’m linked hands free so easier than holding a handset and wifey gives assurances to the questions I ask, we agree on the manouver I am going to make and then I ask the questions as to clearances etc as I know what’s going on but it just guarantees I’m okay and we don’t have any complications.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We used to use them when in convoy, handy to converse with the front man. Now we tend to use our mobiles for same.....

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Do you mean when manoeuvring on site, it's probably another distraction you could do without.

Yes but I am not sure it wouldn’t be an improvement on the present situation with me shouting through the cab window and Hilary not hearing me.

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
If it's a Delaware like mine then handsfree mobile is the way to go.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our van goes into a shed and t can be tight with parked cars also reversing from the light to dark is not easy so we just use our phones mine on speaker, we are free three to three, works well.

Martin

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
if its a particularly tight bit we have facetimed each other I can then see what's happening without the need for the normal resultant arguments if it goes wrong (yet again) just remember to check the image isn't reversed.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
p.s. what's wrong with a phone if you feel the need?

We use walky talkies quite a bit, various uses, van to van, when you’re wandering on sites, but IMH, walky talky, just push the transmit button and talk, no looking for numbers and waiting to get through, using valuable minutes, also got the cb in the van, that’s also useful

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Only helpful in the right hands! Reversing our old big caravan was a nightmare so bought some about 10yrs ago. First time we used them the wife went out, got to the back of the van and then started waving her arms. They were dumped in the shed and have remained there since.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
IMH, walky talky, just push the transmit button and talk, no looking for numbers and waiting to get through, using valuable minutes
That's the problem got to push the button often not easy if driving.
Valuable minutes? Even my £6/ month deal has unlimited minutes.:)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Surprising that drivers of 3.5 tonne plus vehicles appear to lack the skills and need someone to help them manoeuvre. With mirrors , sensors and reversing cameras there shouldn’t be a need.
How many hgv drivers have someone directing them with 40ft plus artics, very few I think.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
We have used walkie-talkies ever since we first had our RV and trailer. With my wife's directions I could place the set up excatly where we wanted, going forwards or reverse. No arm waving or dramatics. One of the few occasions when she said "stop" that I would stop dead!:)

Mick

RV 05.12.18.jpg

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I disappointed:( a whole bunch of French/Dutch, who where lounging watching me reverse park a 32ft R-V, towing a 15ft bed twin axle trailer into a space on an Aire. Went in, dead on, first time. I got a round of applause. So I Bowed and "Royal Waved". We all finished up having a decent barbecue evening!.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How many hgv drivers have someone directing them with 40ft plus artics, very few I think.
... tend not to have to squeeze into campsites with overhanging trees though! :rolleyes:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I don’t
Surprising that drivers of 3.5 tonne plus vehicles appear to lack the skills and need someone to help them manoeuvre. With mirrors , sensors and reversing cameras there shouldn’t be a need.
know about foreign artic drivers though when at work artics had to reverse into bays a Polish driver took 30 minutes to try reversing in then a BIG German guy in the queue behind went and dragged him out got in the cab and stuck it in in one

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We use cheapo walkie-talkies. £29.95 from Lidl. Claimed range - up to 8 km :rolleyes:. They can be set to voice-activated removing the need for push-to-talk button use.

Mainly used to help position the grey water dump valve (which is under the centre of the van) over the drain. She is practically on her hands and knees looking underneath, so I couldn't see her hand signals or hear her very well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back