Manners, Values & Humour vs PC and Equality? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
I have posted this on another thread but felt compelled to start a new thread for general discussion.
I love this forum for its camaraderie, helpfulness and humour (even the jokes from Old-Mo :))

However, I have noticed that some seem to take offence at some of the more lighthearted posts on various subjects. This leaves me wondering if they are serious about all things being perfectly politically correct or whether they are unwilling to accept a joke for what it is meant to be ...... a lighthearted, no offence intended, joke.

I'm just totally confused!

Just before Xmas I went to our local shopping center, I approached the doors about the same as a 50's something female. I quickly stepped forward and opened the door for her, only for her to glare at me and say quite loudly "Despite being female, I'm perfectly capable of opening the door for myself"

Only a few weeks later, I found myself and a late 20's something female approaching another entrance at the same shopping center. Still smarting from the rebuff of a few weeks earlier I just sauntered toward the doors to allow her to opportunity to open the damn doors for herself. This time what I got was "I would have thought a gentleman from your generation would have opened the door for a lady"!

So what will I do in the future? ..... I will do what I've done for years ...... I'll go back to opening the door .... if any females don't like it ..... tough .... it used to be referred to as good manners!!

Unfortunately, political correctness seems hellbent on sending good manners down the same road as lighthearted humour. The one-way road to oblivion!

Your thoughts?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Quite agree, good manners cost nothing. As you found out there will always be the odd, in more senses than one, female who has jumped on the gender bandwagon but for the majority of us they are not immediately apparent. Best to stick to the safe way and carry on with the good manners. As for the PC responses to posts on Fun perhaps they come from ex members of The Dark Side who can't quite shake off the negative side of their former life.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I Know to what you refer @Tibbo ;) sense of humor & PC can work together but its getting less likely:rolleyes: The PC thing is going to bite them on the ass eventually, For example I have had female passengers in the past & they have done a great job, but now I'd think twice about racing with a female passenger as, if they couldn't hack it & they put both of us in danger, would they pull the gender card if I sacked them or just accept they weren't up to it, which is very sad as I'm the first one who like to see more women racing.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Just before Xmas I went to our local shopping center, I approached the doors about the same as a 50's something female. I quickly stepped forward and opened the door for her, only for her to glare at me and say quite loudly "Despite being female, I'm perfectly capable of opening the door for myself"

Maybe she was transgender and old habits die hard? Nope, regardless of gender politics what you encountered there was a miserable humourless old git. Ignore.

I'll hold a door open for anybody without thinking about it, and I don't give a shit if some of them think it's an act of white male patriarchal oppression.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Helping in my son's garage I greeted a middle aged female with "yes madam?" she pointed out a "madam" was the term generally used for a woman in charge of a brothel.
It was difficult not to say that I did not know that!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know on here I'm the grumpy old bugger or worse, but if getting to a door or something same time as someone else, female or male I will always hold the door for the other person and feel bad if I let a door go then find someone else was following me.
Actually I'm same on the road if meeting another vehicle in a narrow road I will always give way.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I know on here I'm the grumpy old bugger or worse, but if getting to a door or something same time as someone else, female or male I will always hold the door for the other person and feel bad if I let a door go then find someone else was following me.
Actually I'm same on the road if meeting another vehicle in a narrow road I will always give way.
Hi.
"Narrow road/always give way"!!!!! I should Bl***dy well hope so,going down a 20' lane with a 24' Cuttingbar on. It's not Carrot crunchers rule yet in ...... Uch'eter!(n):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As for @Enword, i TO would love to see young ladies racing......TOWARDS ME

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi.
"Narrow road/always give way"!!!!! I should Bl***dy well hope so,going down a 20' lane with a 24' Cuttingbar on. It's not Carrot crunchers rule yet in ...... Uch'eter!(n):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As for @Enword, i TO would love to see young ladies racing......TOWARDS ME
Very true, I suppose that's where the habit stems from:D

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've only had one instance of someone objecting to me holding the door open for them, and that was in a land far far away.
A t the local Garage, every morning I either hold the door for someone or vice versa, we all say thank you to each other, the miserable git behind the counter is another matter.!

Giday Henry!

Grunt!

Not such a giday then Henry?

Grunt!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

"Im sorry i was holding it open for a pensioner, I do apologise" sort of says F(** off whilst being polite and rude at the same time.

OP
OP
Tibbo
Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
@Enword ... I'm going back to the late 60's and having actually done 10 laps or so around Mallory Park as passenger on one of those 3 wheeled death traps. I'm of the opinion that anyone male or female who volunteers to do it, is certifiably insane! :D2
Absolutely thrilling to watch though (y)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I hold the door open for whoever might be following me through, irrespective of their colour or sex. Many may be too pre-occupied to notice or give thanks, but it still gives me an opportunity to practice my smile.

Political correctness follows little logic and is a fashion I'm happy to let pass.

Good humour is appreciated by different generations and experiences. Very few jokes make everyone smile.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
@Tibbo I think it's sad that other people with no manners can make us question our own, really annoys me when things get unnecessary PC.

As for the forum some people just like thinking they are right, you get to know who they are and think here we go again. Fortunately the big majority are really lovely and will always go the extra mile to help.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we went out for a meal tonight and as i approached the door a 20 something young man in a hoody rushes past me and grabs the door, opened it wide and held it as both myself and Bren went through on crutches. then shot past us and did the same at the next door. of course we thanked him, but it was so nice to see manners alive and well in the youngsters of today

personally i will hold a door for anyone and treat women as ladies should be. its just part of how i was brought up

as for the other part of the post, they should join our sister site crumpy gunts

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I Know to what you refer @Tibbo ;) sense of humor & PC can work together but its getting less likely:rolleyes: The PC thing is going to bite them on the ass eventually, For example I have had female passengers in the past & they have done a great job, but now I'd think twice about racing with a female passenger as, if they couldn't hack it & they put both of us in danger, would they pull the gender card if I sacked them or just accept they weren't up to it, which is very sad as I'm the first one who like to see more women racing.
I think any woman who has the guts to passenger a racing sidecar is very unlikely to turn into a whinging feminist no matter what the circumstances :).

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Helping in my son's garage I greeted a middle aged female with "yes madam?" she pointed out a "madam" was the term generally used for a woman in charge of a brothel.
It was difficult not to say that I did not know that!

The reply could have been, "I would not have expected a "lady" to be aware of that fact?." OR "are you implying that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, runs a house of ill repute, Half the world calls her Ma`am, which is the shortened derivative".

As for holding doors open and Pulling out chairs in restaurants etc; I still do it, even though half the worlds females are totally unappreciative of the "gentlemanly" gesture.

I still think one of the worst, was the 2 young slapper`s who let the door go just as I was starting the push SWMBO`s wheelchair through the door.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Tibbo just be grateful you are not part of the millenial generation just getting into dating.

Do you pay for the meal or go halves as it can be condescending to pay.
How do you know if they are interested in you, you can't test the water by going in for a kiss for fear of being accused of being a sex pest or worse.
Some work places even ban you from asking a lady out...
You have to get it in writing that they consent to sex..
You can't even be sure you are using the correct gender pronouns these day :Eeek:. Seriously there are more than 60 of the damn things now....

There are loads more. But I am so glad I am happy being single... I really would hate to be trying to get into the dating scene these days and would hate it even more if I was in my 20's again...

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
I opened the door to the fridge for my wife the other day and got that stare of despair......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back