Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Hi all, I'm after some advice I am going away for a few months in the winter in my MH, the only thing I have done so far is book my ferry to the UK in early Nov and then a Ferry to France on 21 of Nov. I am aiming to get back to Ireland by the 1 of March or before.
It will just be me and the wife travelling. We want to go some warmer than Ireland but stay in Europe, not ready for Africa yet as this will be our first extended stay and the first one abroad in the winter. We don't mind driving the miles as long as we end up seeing some nice sights. Any suggestions based on your previous experiences?

Thanks in advance Jamie

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Then it has to be southern Spain and Portugal. Give this lot a few hours to wake up Jamie and you will have more info than you can cope with.

Keith

OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
For some reason, (wife) Corsica is on the very loose agenda, any pros or cons? We have been to Portugal a lot in the past but not in a Mh, but we may head that way again or head over towards Greece. Your views and suggestions will all be considered, some more seriously than others I suspect.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Yes Southern Spain or up a bit towards Benidorm, we tried Portugal this year nice place's but the weather was poor being on the Atlantic, remember it's the winter time we had a few decent days but we wont be going again in Jan/ Feb maybe later on in the year. Pete

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Southern Italy or Sicily. great countryside and fantastically friendly people.
Not many Brits and no "kiss me quick" resorts, just Mediterranean weather and great campsites.

Terry

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
If you want to tour around - then the advice will be endless, and not something I can help you with.
However - if you're looking to park up for a month or 2, or 3, or 4..... Then it has to be Benidorm.(y)
Take your pick of sites - but will basically be like a MHF rally over there as per most years!
Whilst it's not everyones cup of tea - it is different from all the hype in the Summer, and its main advantage (apart from the weather) is that everything is open and lively all winter round. Many on here will be there over winter, and I'll be down for a week or so (albeit flying down) just to join in some of the fun!
:party2:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We're heading to Greece(Crete - we have a small apartment there) around the same time as you, HOWEVER we have decided to go by car this time rather than by motorhome as very few campsites on route will be open at that time of the year. If you're happy with Aires then I don't think you'll have a problem in France, but once you get to Italy/Greece I think it may be a case of mainly wild camping. Also, there is a good chance that the water on any Aires may be turned off to avoid freezing.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with the UK and northern Europe expected to be under the spell of a particularly cold winter this year, I don't blame you going south

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
have you got a spare bedroom dude. I will buy the wine.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It is probably too late to say this, but is there any reason why you didn't book Cork to Roscoff for the outward leg?

We did France last year up to the end of November and then it was getting cold (so stay South of France!)

Then we did Spain and Portugal January to March this year..... generally mild and sometimes hot :)

Personally we stay away from the big campsites and tour from aire to aire. Also West side of Portugal is nicer and prettier than the Algarve (which is warmer) IMHO;)

As for Greece and Corsica......... they are a LOOOONG way away:eek:

OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
Thanks Grahame, I have got my last work commitment in the uk in Nov hence taking the land bridge to France. I don't mind the distance too much. I will take a look at your blogs for some inspiration.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back