LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
No.......... The Funster meet was one of the best and superbly organised. As before a huge thanks to everyone involved and it was great to meet up again.

Had a really good nose around what was on display and was really taken with a rather nice Frankia at SMC - might have thought about going for it if we had not just got the Pilote. Some other nice Hymers there as well (provided the fixed table could be removed......)

The biggest disappointment was the Moto-Trek vans. Fantastic idea and well designed as a concept, but the quality (or rather lack of it) in finish simply was awful. Wobbly lines of sealant INSIDE the van, horribly shiny cupboards and walls, ugh! Even my day visitor cousin yesterday put her head inside the blue one and said "oh no......." If they could redesign it a little then I'm sure they could sell a lot more. Otherwise, sticking to horseboxes might be a good idea. Good to see some innovation in the British market, though and hats off to them for that

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
The biggest disappointment was the Moto-Trek vans. Fantastic idea and well designed as a concept, but the quality (or rather lack of it) in finish simply was awful. Wobbly lines of sealant INSIDE the van, horribly shiny cupboards and walls, ugh! Even my day visitor cousin yesterday put her head inside the blue one and said "oh no......." If they could redesign it a little then I'm sure they could sell a lot more. Otherwise, sticking to horseboxes might be a good idea. Good to see some innovation in the British market, though and hats off to them for that
Absolutely agree! We got really excited about the concept of the slide out on a narrow coachbuilt but the glitzy interior with that appalling finish including sealant everywhere really let it down. If they could revamp the interior finish & keep the price point at £48000 think it would sell really well. They are bringing out a transverse bed over garage version but no details available at the show & no plans for rear belted seats - think they are missing a trick as family motorhome market especially in compact vans is a massive growth area. Had quite a heated discussion with the salesman who didn't see the need to appeal to more than couples (glad he's not working for us!) but he reluctantly admitted they can build bespoke models at about 10k extra. Hopefully some the other manufacturers will add a slide out model in years to come or this UK company will up their game.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It can be quite a good idea to stop looking at new vans when you have just changed, I just looked at the accessories.:smiley:
I know, I know............

Two reasons straight out of the observers book of excuses......;)

1) I was showing my cousin around as to what was available (honest..:whistle:) as her husband is seriously considering getting one. By the way, she enjoyed her afternoon and thought the funster band was pretty good
2) Convincing myself it was the right buy - it was. Apart from a Frankia that was about 30K more, nothing fitted the bill as well(y)

OP
OP
DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Absolutely agree! We got really excited about the concept of the slide out on a narrow coachbuilt but the glitzy interior with that appalling finish including sealant everywhere really let it down. If they could revamp the interior finish & keep the price point at £48000 think it would sell really well. They are bringing out a transverse bed over garage version but no details available at the show & no plans for rear belted seats - think they are missing a trick as family motorhome market especially in compact vans is a massive growth area. Had quite a heated discussion with the salesman who didn't see the need to appeal to more than couples (glad he's not working for us!) but he reluctantly admitted they can build bespoke models at about 10k extra. Hopefully some the other manufacturers will add a slide out model in years to come or this UK company will up their game.

All they had to do was to look at vans built by others....... Jan and I looked inside a Warwick duo just after the Moto-trek and the superior quality of finish really showed

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

One thing I had not thought of we were looking at the slide out saying how nice they were when Dave (Snowbird) came along and pointed out yes they are very nice, but consider going along wanting to stop in a lay by or car park for a few hours can't put your slide out , out , as something is quite likely to hit it or it's just to wide, so they can only be used really on sites and so takes away some of the spontaneousness and freedom of a motorhome, worth a thought.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Did check that there was still enough room to be fully useable without being extended so still good for short stops but the added advantage of extra space when possible to extend so really like the concept(y) Like the fact that only as wide as the cab so narrower than most coachbuilts for travel so benefits of a van with the space of a coach built when pitched. Love our motorhome but bit scary on some of our narrow UK roads e.g. Devon & Cornwall especially with all the overgrown hedges & protruding branches :whatthe: so that reduced width would make things easier.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am just wondering...

When you enter a "Salesman Zone" with a trunkful of cash, be it at a show or in a showroom and you see a van you want to buy, is this not the time when you are in your most powerful position?

The salesman must be getting all excited.

If it still has to be built, what happens if you refuse to give them a single penny unless they sign a binding contract re delivery date?

You offer them the deposit showing you are serious but in return they must promise you a delivery date with built in penalties for running over.

I suppose they would just tell you to get lost and find an easier customer.

As for me. If I can't see it and touch it and test it I won't buy it.

JJ :cool:

Knaus

Free Member
Aug 28, 2014
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since 2005

i think i was there during your exchange with the salesman in question. I thought he dealt with you quite reasonably considering your barrage. I even seem to recall your husband/partner shaking his hand and apologising.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am just wondering...

When you enter a "Salesman Zone" with a trunkful of cash, be it at a show or in a showroom and you see a van you want to buy, is this not the time when you are in your most powerful position?

The salesman must be getting all excited.

If it still has to be built, what happens if you refuse to give them a single penny unless they sign a binding contract re delivery date?

You offer them the deposit showing you are serious but in return they must promise you a delivery date with built in penalties for running over.

I suppose they would just tell you to get lost and find an easier customer.

As for me. If I can't see it and touch it and test it I won't buy it.

JJ :cool:
Yes must agree, I never buy anything that I can't take home right away, can't do with waiting for anything, if I buy off eBay , get uptight if it takes more than a couple of days for bits of things, never mind multi thousand things, mind you that's why I always buy private and second hand, no warranty but take it on board when things are towards half the price of a new one I can stand a bit of work if it needs it without having to deal with these dealers

Reactions: JJ

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
i think i was there during your exchange with the salesman in question. I thought he dealt with you quite reasonably considering your barrage. I even seem to recall your husband/partner shaking his hand and apologising.
Definitely not us - we had nothing to apologise for - quite the opposite!

Knaus

Free Member
Aug 28, 2014
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since 2005
Definitely not us - we had nothing to apologise for - quite the opposite!

It was you (lady with short dark hair, with son and husband). I was stood at the side of the chap. I recall you telling him what van you have now. We are all entitled to our opinion and clearly for them the family market isnt for them and they are happy. After all Auto-Sleepers have had that business model for a long time as have many others.

andreWander

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Thames Valley
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 2007
Exp
.... Had quite a heated discussion with the salesman who didn't see the need to appeal to more than couples ...

yes I asked exactly the same question as I was looking for a PVC with two separate beds. "Oh no Sir, we only cater for couples" No consideration for those that no longer have a partner but would like to travel for a friend they dont want to share a bed with.

He also mentioned "upmarket" but the finish wasn't there for me.

The space the slide created was totally wasted. Also a fixed post hole for a table.

Knaus

Free Member
Aug 28, 2014
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since 2005
yes I asked exactly the same question as I was looking for a PVC with two separate beds. "Oh no Sir, we only cater for couples" No consideration for those that no longer have a partner but would like to travel for a friend they dont want to share a bed with.

He also mentioned "upmarket" but the finish wasn't there for me.

The space the slide created was totally wasted. Also a fixed post hole for a table.

I was also looking with my friend, Im not married. The model we looked at from Moto-Trek at 3.5t was ideal as we could make 2 twin beds and there is an option for a pedistal table. I got the brochure and price list and found that there was a lot to choose from to tailor make the van. Even a larger fridge which is the one thing we would want.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A well designed van with a slide out ensures that the van can be used with the slide in. Very often on a site we won't bother putting the slide out. It is very comfortable and totally useable with it in and still wider than any Euro Motorhome. . If a maker builds slide outs too deep then they make the van unusable on the road.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
biggest shock for me was a 55 plate timberland which was very basic and not in great shape was marked up at £25.5k

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back