Malicious damage, covered or not? (1 Viewer)

Squeegee

Free Member
Sep 16, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1989
I have just had a nasty experience. Two men who had done a small roof repair job on my house while I was doing a bit of routine stuff on the van. They wanted more work, but I declined. They left and when I raised the bonnet, which had been down but not latched, I saw the oil filler cap was missing. Looking inside I saw something, which turned out to be a fistful of cement mortar mix.
My question is, would insurance company cover damage to the engine if, despite my best efforts, I have not removed every speck of sand and the engine is ruined? Or, do I not tell them until after it goes wrong, pretending I knew nothing about it? Third, do I just start it and hope for the best?
I will not employ people who 'just happened to be doing a job up the road'.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
My honest opinion - I would not tell you what to do, but if I was in the same situation I would contact the police and the local newspapers (so they dont scam others) and be honest with the insurance company.

At least that way I would not feel guilty about lying (but not everyone has that problem)

OP
OP
S

Squeegee

Free Member
Sep 16, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1989
Yes, Of course I hadn't really considered doing that. In fact I've already told the police so the insurance company could easily check. The point about newspapers is a good one, I'll do that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Maybe wait until the cement mixture has hardened off, remove the cam cover, clear out all the cement , replace cover and start up.
Run for a short while , change oil and filter , cross your fingers.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
What a horrid thing to happen!

Just out of interest - did they ask if you wanted to sell your van? I'm forever getting men knocking on the door asking if I need my trees trimming/driveway cleaning/repairs to the roof etc. They invariably ask if I want to sell the van.

Once I did say 'yes - it's ÂŁ20,000'. The man got really nasty so I've now taken to saying it's not mine to sell.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Punch them in the face. Then get every one of your neighbours to do it too. Then all your friends and family and then me and every other Funster too. I'm beyond angry for you, what a bunch of t@ssers for doing such a thing :Angry:

Now call the police, the papers and the trading standards. Hopefully you'll have a business card, or at least the neighbour does, then pass it on :Angry:

Keep us posted and good luck with it all :thumb:

OP
OP
S

Squeegee

Free Member
Sep 16, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1989
Malicious damage

Well, I am surprised so many people are out there reading this and not enjoying the splendid weather.
I must thank all of you for your replies, some supportive, some angry, and some helpful.

I have told the police.
I will inform the newspapers.
I do not know who they were, so have no card. They told me they had just done some work on the chimney of the house opposite. That was a lie. Work had been done, but not by them.
Punching in the face, yes an idea and if I knew where I might find them I might be inclined. However, my strongest feeling is that of, 'Why me?' I'd given them work, surely I have the right to refuse more? Also I get an awful feeling of an attack against myself. I know that way madness lies, but it's strong to shake off.
As for John's tip as to what to do. I've taken the cover off, and the sump. Not a job I wish to repeat. Flushed all the cavities and oilways with brake cleaner and mopped each recess with paper. The interior of the rocker box gleams. I still don't have the nerve to start it until I hear from the insurance company as to whether I am covered if the engine does go kaput.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for your concern and support everyone.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have just had a nasty experience. Two men who had done a small roof repair job on my house while I was doing a bit of routine stuff on the van. They wanted more work, but I declined. They left and when I raised[HI] the bonnet, which had been down but not latched,[/HI] I saw the oil filler cap was missing. Looking inside I saw something, which turned out to be a fistful of cement mortar mix.
My question is,[HI] would insurance company cover damage to the engine if, despite my best efforts[/HI], I have not removed every speck of sand and the engine is ruined? Or, do I not tell them until after it goes wrong, pretending I knew nothing about it? Third, do I just start it and hope for the best?
I will not employ people who 'just happened to be doing a job up the road'.

I hope you are successful in getting the engine clean and no damage results..

if you do make a claim, I would be careful about giving your insurance company this information.. they no doubt have a clause which basically says if you do not lock/secure the vehicle they are not liable for loss or damage..

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
I am really sorry to hear about your van, but I am wlling to bet you have also been taken for a ride, on whatever roof work they claim to have done!

You need to get the roof checked by a reputable builder/roofer as often they cause deliberate damage in order to get more money out of you.

The last case were I was a technical witness, an old boy had been fleeced for ÂŁ50,000 (yes ÂŁ50,000) for shoddy work, that even had it been done correctly had a value of less than ÂŁ2000!

I hope this will not prove to be too an expensive lesson for you,and please everyone, if someone knocks at your door touting for work, they are shysters not bona fide trademan. Be warned!!:Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Punch them in the face. Then get every one of your neighbours to do it too. Then all your friends and family and then me and every other Funster too. I'm beyond angry for you, what a bunch of t@ssers for doing such a thing :Angry:

Now call the police, the papers and the trading standards.[HI] Hopefully you'll have a business card, or at least the neighbour does,[/HI] then pass it on :Angry:

Keep us posted and good luck with it all :thumb:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: these people dont have business cards, or accountants, or pay tax.

Black market scum.

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: these people dont have business cards, or accountants, or pay tax.

Black market scum.

Strangely enough in my last job of 23 years, I found many had business cards, photo ID cards, and magnetic signs on their vans. Its that degree of "normality" that often sucks people in. Remember a good con man raises no suspicion!!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Why not?

Insurers might have some difficulty working out how the vandals got access to the engine though.

OP
OP
S

Squeegee

Free Member
Sep 16, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1989
Hello again,

Well, the insurance company are sending an engineer to look at the van and then suggest whether I start it. This will take a week to arrange apparently, so I'll have to let you know afterwards.
I was in the front garden doing some routine work on the van, so had the bonnet up, but put it down, but not latched fully when I went indoors to get their money. After all I was there most of the time.
I take the point about not employing people who call on spec. I would not normally do this at all, but they claimed they had been working on the house opposite. The scaffolding was still in place then. However, it was not them who worked there at all. Surprise surprise.
Thanks for your concern about the roof work as well, This was just a minor piece of pointing between tiles on a verge. I can reach it easily from a ladder. The work done by them is not marvellous, but I cannot do anything with mortar without a making an utter mess.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
my son said as you have the top of a nd the sump.steam clean it a couple of times.and then run oil through it.a couple of times.because you are never going to know if there is any left .unless you strip the whole engine down.otherwise you just take a chance.my said good luck.it has worked on a car he worked on.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I make a point of not allowing ANYONE who hasn't passed an MI6 and FBI clearance past our front gate. The dog takes care of the odd diddy who casts a lustful eye towards our roof.
The world is choka full of morons and neredowells, bent on f*****g up your life, and damaging your hard earned property.
"Do I know you???? No?....Well, frig off!"(y)(y)(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Keep us up to speed on your engine. Technically, you should have a complete stripdown and steamclean, however, with what you have done so far, I would think that a couple of fills with a good quality flushin oil will do the trick. When I was in Libya, we were doing sand trials on the brand new Chieftain, equipped with the worst engine ever invented, the Leyland L60. We were so p***ed off with removing the air cleaner 'biscuit' three times a day, some unknown person started pouring good old Libyan sand into the engines. They still ran! Never a bearing went, nor did one lock up.

OP
OP
S

Squeegee

Free Member
Sep 16, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1989
Keep us up to speed on your engine. Technically, you should have a complete stripdown and steamclean, however, with what you have done so far, I would think that a couple of fills with a good quality flushin oil will do the trick. When I was in Libya, we were doing sand trials on the brand new Chieftain, equipped with the worst engine ever invented, the Leyland L60. We were so p***ed off with removing the air cleaner 'biscuit' three times a day, some unknown person started pouring good old Libyan sand into the engines. They still ran! Never a bearing went, nor did one lock up.
That's interesting, I'll see what the engineers have to say, but after that I'll have to look into a tank engine I suppose. Heavy on fuel I suspect.

That's interesting, and takes a little of my anguish away. I'll see waht the engineers ask me to do, then I may have to look into a tank engine, I imagine they are a bit heavy on fuel though.

OP
OP
S

Squeegee

Free Member
Sep 16, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1989
What a horrid thing to happen!

Just out of interest - did they ask if you wanted to sell your van? I'm forever getting men knocking on the door asking if I need my trees trimming/driveway cleaning/repairs to the roof etc. They invariably ask if I want to sell the van.

Once I did say 'yes - it's ÂŁ20,000'. The man got really nasty so I've now taken to saying it's not mine to sell.
Yes, that almost goes without saying. However, they only asked after they had started the work. That question and the asking about shaping a tree alerted me to the fact they were not genuine roofers at all.

OP
OP
S

Squeegee

Free Member
Sep 16, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1989
Hello everyone, This sis just to let you know how things have gone with my sandy engine.
I took the rocker box cover off, drained the oil, removed the sump, flushed through all the top and oilways to the sump with brake cleaner fluid. It all looked clean. I then bought another can of cleaner fluid and did it again. Next, reassembled it all with new gaskets, filled it with oil and engine flush and started the engine and ran it for 20 minutes, three times. Next climbed under the vehicle once more, drained the oil once again and took off the oil filter. Fitted a new filter new oil and tried the van a few times. So far I must have gone some 60 Miles or so and it seems fine.
The Fiat people tell me damage would be apparent by now if there was anything left in the moving parts, so I'm hoping they are right.
I'd once again like to thank all who have offered support and advice and resolve to change my ways about taking on workers who come cold calling in future.
We are off on Wednesday to East Anglia and the East coast for a couple of weeks, so let's hope this is all behind us now.

OP
OP
S

Squeegee

Free Member
Sep 16, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1989
Here's the stuff before I began.

Attachments

• IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    464.9 KB · Views: 45

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Been following this thread mate - so happy for you that it all turned out good in the end - even though its something that should have never occurred in the first place ;)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Pleased it has turned out ok in the end. You must have done a first class job on the engine cleaning.

Well done. (y)

OP
OP
S

Squeegee

Free Member
Sep 16, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1989
I thought I'd let you all know what the upshot of the whole sorry affair has been.
After doing all the cleaning, flushing, oil changing and knuckle scraping, oh, and swearing, we ran the engine.
We have just come back from two weeks touring in East Anglia and the engine seems fine.
Once again, I'd like to thank all of you who commented, offered advice, (or curses on the wretches), or just read about the affair. It was great to know that despite the nastiness, there were a few folk who were on our side.

Thanks again

David

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Pleased to hear you have had a good outcome (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back