making your own stove top oven (1 Viewer)

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
So, off we go to France/Italy (any day now, really. Despite having had the van for two days only, despite the tunnel being booked for yesterday, despite the leak in the spare bedroom, despite the trade in and finance last-minute-drama, despite the dog's holiday care falling through, we are GOING damn it!)

But due entirely to my rubbish conveyancer, and even more rubbish bank, we won't be getting the flash inverter fitted. We do have an inverter, so microwaving in the garage may be possible. it only 800w, though.

We have no oven, I know there are a million things you can cook on the hob, and that's fine for me. But my kid won't eat them, and the whole entire point of motor homing for me is being able to feed her stuff she will actually eat. I have even cooked a freezer full of it, frozen in little portions for her.

I've seen the Omnia ovens, and they look like a good idea. But they appear to me to be a pot with a hole in it and a trivet. I have any number of heavy pots, trivets and even an almost identical pot with a hole in it, so I'm wondering if it's possible to put one together from stock. Anyone tried?

(I'm sorry, I know I'm rambling a bit, but we go tomorrow, come hell or high water, and it would be helpful to bypass all the reasons why I don't really need one, and everyone else manages without, and an inverter would work and so on:)!)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I don't have an oven or any of the fancy items some people mention. I use a small pressure cooker (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I’m trying to think of something heatproof that you could put inside a saucepan with the frozen food inside it. I do have a grill under the hob so I am able to defrost and cook things wrapped in foil under the grill on lowest setting but I’m not sure if you have one. (Have to be very careful using this method as foil is flammable )

You could go straight for the saucepan but it wouldn’t work very well for foods that don’t have liquid . For example I make myself veggie pies the size of mince pies .
But maybe something inside the saucepan to contain the food while it’s being heated in the mini oven of the saucepan?

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Is it gas, lectric, or magic .:)
In case you have an ad blocker here's a photo.
Screenshot_20190714-102542_Opera.jpg

Works on any stove ?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
What about using a steamer?

I don't like microwave cooking so don't use mine... I defrost anything to be cooked the night before.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Cast iron pot duch oven on the hob wit trivet on the botum works grate even on the cadac the wife has made bread in it
Bill

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
All great suggestions above, (y), but by the sound of it Wellington has been going through a tough time and just wants a lovely holiday with her daughter without too much stress so probably not the best time to go through the tough love scenario.
She just wants a quick and easy way to reheat the prepared food from frozen.

I think Janine has a good suggestion and was sort of what I was thinking along the lines of but need an inside saucepan without handle.
I too carry enamel plates which are very useful to put on top of a hot saucepan or under the grill.
How about an enamel pudding basin with some foil on top inside the saucepan ?

Wellington, the big hyper markets in France have great kitchenware sections and it’s fun to explore different shops. If you don’t have anything now, I’m sure you will find something on your travels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Cast iron pot duch oven on the hob wit trivet on the botum works grate even on the cadac the wife has made bread in it
Bill

Thats the sort of thing I am thinking of. I'll give it a go.

Plan is to dig out one of my rarely-used cast iron pots, get a trivet or steamer (I can't actually see any sensible difference in the two, probably silicone, because they are easy to clean and don't rattle) and put her food in a paper dish on top. I will experiment with and without water, over a low heat.

She eats very little, but very frequently, so it shouldn't take too long to heat up her cup-cake sized portions. (It's so little, that if you put it in a saucepan, it just coats the sides!) Also, she virtually lives on baked potatoes, which won't go in saucepans. Also, I don't want to be washing up all the bloody time. I was so looking forward to a nice holiday, and have spent days batch cooking so that we will have lots of easy meals while we are away. It not that the difficulties are insurmountable, just that it's another problem to solve. I'm intelligent, resourceful, independent, resilient and very good at problem solving. I'm just a little bit fed up now, though. I'd like things just to be easy for a bit!

She won't eat stuff she doesn't like, even if she's starving. Yes, I have gone down the 'there is nothing else' route. She will try absolutely anything, which I think is to be encouraged, and am grateful for. I've got plenty of snacks for her. At home, it's no problem, we work around it. It is her holiday, too. (It isn't much of a holiday for me if I'm not well prepared, though)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Try not to worry ( I know an understatement !) but often on holiday new exciting adventures mask home routines and habits , so she may try some new things .make lots of fresh chopped snacks buy things from the open markets let her chop and choose and drink lots of water from a trendy refill bottle.
I’m sure you will both have a fab time and in your avatar she looks a lovely healthy little girl!

Enjoy and safe travels!

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Master self build
Exp
On second van now since 2012
Not so much for quick cooking, but I have always found the Cobb BBQ a great little 'oven'.

It will cook a small joint or chicken and all the veg with just a few briquettes or a Cobb 'Cobblestone'.

It can be left outside the van whilst cooking your meal and will cook for up to 3 hours depending on the fuel used.

OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Try not to worry ( I know an understatement !) but often on holiday new exciting adventures mask home routines and habits , so she may try some new things .make lots of fresh chopped snacks buy things from the open markets let her chop and choose and drink lots of water from a trendy refill bottle.
I’m sure you will both have a fab time and in your avatar she looks a lovely healthy little girl!

Enjoy and safe travels!

She’s awesome at trying new things, really great. She helps cook and shop, she just needs to eat little and often and has a small range of foods she likes. I’m not worried about her, more that if I don’t do a lot of prep, I have no leisure time. It’s the problem with being a widowed parent. Twice the work, half the downtime. I know people think I’m a bit peculiar wanting to save a few minutes off chores here and there, but it really is the difference between having a few minutes to just stop, or not having any time to myself at all.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
She’s awesome at trying new things, really great. She helps cook and shop, she just needs to eat little and often and has a small range of foods she likes. I’m not worried about her, more that if I don’t do a lot of prep, I have no leisure time. It’s the problem with being a widowed parent. Twice the work, half the downtime. I know people think I’m a bit peculiar wanting to save a few minutes off chores here and there, but it really is the difference between having a few minutes to just stop, or not having any time to myself at all.
Deffo time for yourself too.
Enjoy your holiday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back