Making up beds each night? Opinions please (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We have just changed this year from an elddis 130 to an Adria Matrix 780P and it has a drop down bed above the lounge area like you mention, we also have a fixed bed at the rear. If we drop the bed down we can still sit on the swivel seats and our daughter uses the back bed so she can pull the curtain over and have her own wee space.

Was gonna say we use the loo but then I noticed where you live! :ROFLMAO:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Spent a year researching a replacement for our AT Tracker great little van but making up the bed at night was becoming a chore for oh. A new grand daughter last year and having to look after her so much meant it had to have additional belted seats, also wanted a bit of a garage as storage space had been at a premium.

Looked at lots of vans with fixed beds, with many this meant a very compromised lounging area, a big negative. Eventually settled on a AT Mohawk which has an across the ways double bed at the rear, fantastic storage under the bed accessible externally either side (not classed as a garage), good size kitchen and lounge area. Like others have suggested we went for the over-cab bed as it provides vast storage (we removed the mattress ) and makes for a very light and airy lounge space.

At 7.5m long and 4250kg its not the smallest but the additional internal space makes for much easier living when used a lot and for lengthy periods.

So my suggestion would be to check out this type of bed layout, beware though some manufacturers offer full garages under the bed which are great but have their drawbacks, steps to clamber into bed can be a pain especially for nocturnal toilet visits and the lack of headroom can make the space very stuffy in warm weather.

Enjoy your search :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Hobby, twin singles over garage, centre steps up to them, TV fiitted overlooking the singles and an overcab double at the front. perfik

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Funny thing is that while it's good to hear from us all about what's best, the only way will be to try them all and see and that way you'll get it right. I also spent 2 years looking for MY perfect motorhome, it wouldn't be perfect for everyone, but it is for me::bigsmile:

After 2 trips to the NEC I spoke to quite a few people who were getting rid of their rear seated area homes and were looking for a fixed double at the rear, with the overcab bed for storage or guests/family. I took note and when I finally spent my pennies on my home, it had the fixed rear double, overcab double and 2 sofa seats facing each other that easily sat 6 and could also become a double bed. With SWMBO's mobility limited through her MS it helps with getting her dressed etc and allows for a lot of space too:Smile:

Must say it all paid off as we're just soooooo happy with it as it suits us and our needs. Good luck with the search and safe motorhoming :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Funny thing is that while it's good to hear from us all about what's best, the only way will be to try them all and see and that way you'll get it right. I also spent 2 years looking for MY perfect motorhome, it wouldn't be perfect for everyone, but it is for me::bigsmile:

After 2 trips to the NEC I spoke to quite a few people who were getting rid of their rear seated area homes and were looking for a fixed double at the rear, with the overcab bed for storage or guests/family. I took note and when I finally spent my pennies on my home, it had the fixed rear double, overcab double and 2 sofa seats facing each other that easily sat 6 and could also become a double bed. With SWMBO's mobility limited through her MS it helps with getting her dressed etc and allows for a lot of space too:Smile:

Must say it all paid off as we're just soooooo happy with it as it suits us and our needs. Good luck with the search and safe motorhoming :thumb::thumb:

Thanks

That's what I like about this forum you can throw a question out there and you get so many perspectives and ideas etc that you haven't necessarily considered which al helps in the search when going round looking and assessing layouts and the like

Cheers:thumb:
G

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Horses for courses. We are in favour of the make up bed.
Having a rear lounge layout with a dinette we love the space with the bed packed away .Large lounging area with two full length sofas and a dining/kitchen prep area.
When we were searching we did not want a transverse bed where we had to climb over each other to get out of bed. Furthermore we have a superking bed at home and sleeping in any bed that has the corners cut off or is only just over 4 feet wide feels exceedingly cramped.
Our rear lounge makes up into the largest bed we have had (emperor).
We do have bed making down to a fine art. We use a thin duvet as a mattress topper, then a fitted sheet and then the duvet. When we pack it away we just fold it all together and then just unroll it at night. Takes about three minutes.
If we are going out for the evening we just make the bed up before we go.
The bottom line is that it is your choice. Good luck with your search.:thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
we have a dinette up front and have a rear lounge incorporating two singles, great for lounging in the day and takes a few minutes to take back cushions off and throw a duvet over, well worth it to have the space in the day, we have an overhead cab for all our storage but we are now looking for two singles RAISED at the rear so we can have a garage rather than an overhead cab which looks bulky but very usable.
we like the layout but have to change next year to downsize to a 3500kg due toTez having to take a medical at 70 .

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
This thread makes a fascinating read, so many opinions and perspectives, there's no right or wrong.:Smile:
For ten years we had a coachbuilt with centre dinette that required the construction of our bed each night. I was okay with it for a while but in the end the novelty wore off, the long trips away did it, especially after a few vinos...:RollEyes:
With the new van we are on the fixed across the back, above a garage. Daughter has the enormous Luton. We stuck with the centre dinette but now with swivel seats and side lounger I find there is more than enough room for three to lounge.
Being able to hit the hay early without faffing with the bed is an absolute luxury.::bigsmile:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Hi,

We have potentially narrowed our search down to two possibilities.

A little bit of background is, we had an Elnagh Baron 46 a 7m coachbuilt with bed over garage no swivel seats and just a dinette to lounge in. Apart from the narrow rungs on the ladder and the lack of lounging space we had a great time in the MH and used it frequently.

Due to the two issues above we decided to sell it and bought a 32ft Winnebago partly for the layout partly up until we decided to sell it I thought Winnebago was the holy grail of motorhoming ( how we live and learn :cry: ). Don't get me wrong the layout was great with island bed at the back, push out sofa mid section large divided off shower room area etc. However as we discovered to our cost and partly literally we didn't take into consideration the impact of the fuel economy :Doh: mainly cause I just wanted one and the size was just way to impractical for OUR style of use hence we couldn't take it out for the day easily etc. ( i mean no disrespct to RV owners it just didnt suit us) and when we went to lake garda we couldn't get into camping butterfly (that's another story) eventhough they said we could and then ended up hiring a car all on top of £800 of fuel for the round trip.

So now we are going back down to earth. To cut a long story short (probably that's too late now) how do people find making up the bed each night?

We are considering the Chausson Flash 10 namely as it is 6m only yet 4 berth with dinette that makes up to a double and pull down double over the dinette making a kind of double bunk, one for junior and one for Cathy and I not sure which way round but worried we are going too small after the RV

We are also looking at the Chausson welcome 69 a 7m MH with French bed and pull down over dinette bed but obviously the benefit of a fixed rear bed and the pull down bed just being there and ready when you pull it down.

So would appreciate thoughts on the making up of a bed each night, is it that much of a hassle?

We really need to get this one right :Doh:

Thanks
G

one of the first requirements when we built our van was a fixed bed after the mensa chalenge of the bed in our old rambler(especially after a few drinkies ) its heaven

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Have to agree with grasscutter, the rear lounge is worth its' wait in gold for us. We have an Apache 634U which means we can entertain 6-8 people easily, or lounge around on our own bench seats at night or in bad weather if watching a bit of tv. If we go away somewhere warm we tend to leave the bed set up and spend most of our time living outside.

Another good reason is that I snore like a 'warthog' which means hwmbo can escape to the overcab bed (with earplugs!!!). :reel:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hobby, twin singles over garage, centre steps up to them, TV fiitted overlooking the singles and an overcab double at the front. perfik

But not much of a lounge:Smile:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You should take into account how many belted seats you need.

Rear lounge or inward facing seats at the front will not be safe to travel in.

We have a fixed bed at the back, dinette at front (2 belted seats) and a double seat to one side.

Most importantly (for us) both cab seats swivel- makes all the difference
:thumb:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Making up beds

Hi,

We followed a similar "learning route"!

Started with a Dethleffs 4 berth over an with fixed rear bed over garage. Great beds, but lounge far too tight.

Then went for a Chausson Allegro with fixed singles and rear washroom. Great beds, great washroom, not much lounging space!

Now have a Hymer A class with a huge lounge, drop down bed which e can leave made up but out of sight and a great kitchen and washroom. Wish I had gone this way 7 years ago, but that is how ŵe learn I guess. And although this van is the oldest one we hav owned (first two were brand new) it is by far the best, and was the cheapest to buy.

Happy hunting

Gary ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi,

We followed a similar "learning route"!

Started with a Dethleffs 4 berth over an with fixed rear bed over garage. Great beds, but lounge far too tight.

Then went for a Chausson Allegro with fixed singles and rear washroom. Great beds, great washroom, not much lounging space!

Now have a Hymer A class with a huge lounge, drop down bed which e can leave made up but out of sight and a great kitchen and washroom. Wish I had gone this way 7 years ago, but that is how ŵe learn I guess. And although this van is the oldest one we hav owned (first two were brand new) it is by far the best, and was the cheapest to buy.

Happy hunting

Gary ::bigsmile:

Thanks Gary that's really got us thinking that we should look at the A class Motorhomes more which we haven't really done, just having a quick look at motohomes autotrader I see a Burstner Aviano 7m

Another area for us to pursue :thumb:

Cheers
G

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back