Making the change from lead acid to lithium - a thread with pictures (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Was pondering if one 100AH battery was enough for us today. I think it will be if we are careful. Anyone who has done off grid will know it’s a bit of a pain being careful with power, I like it light and bright so it’s a big deal for me to have enough power.

I can’t fit two in the battery compartment with the solar and all the other wiring in there so I checked under the driver seat. The battery is just too tall to go under there so I resigned myself to one.

It was then it suddenly occurred to me, it’s a lithium, I can install it on its side! I think therefore I can get two batteries in by installing the second on its side under the seat.

Best get the tape measure out tomorrow!

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Right then.

I couldn’t see properly so the seat came out. One bolt as usual made of plasticine and will have to be replaced but that’s standard. :-(

Just a hernia repair to do now after lifting the seat off! Anyone interested in saving weight it must be 50KG!

After unscrewing the Hymer and Fiat harness and snipping all the ties I think I can get away with the battery on its side facing the front. This will also mean I can get at the connections once the battery is in.

I have run some more cable for the second battery so I can make everything neat and tidy tomorrow, once I have done that I can make 100% sure it will fit.

Now I just need more crimps again and a mega fuse and holder.
3B25A765-20E7-43EE-8EEE-9C369E7C0D18.jpeg
558E51ED-FAE3-492E-8599-1A4EBBE77C99.jpeg
A8E4C9BE-ABC4-4BA1-886B-4A4ADE9642C0.jpeg

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I have been looking at Inverters when browsing for crimps etc.

I don’t like the fact the one I have gets hot enough to melt the cable when running at less than it’s rated capacity. My own fault for buying cheap.

However the Victron equivalent is £380. ☹️

I am considering going for it, it is an extortionate amount of money but you do get what you pay for.

Any views either way?

Absolutely chuffed I won the competition, it’s cost me dear! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a cheap inverter never gets hot when running flat out but the fan makes a bit of noise when it cuts in, it works well.
If kitting out a new van I would probably buy a decent branded one like a Victron.
Easy to spend money on a new van but get very reluctant once it's a couple of years old.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
My thinking is, I won’t be getting another inverter even if I sell the van as it will be coming with me for the next one.

It’s good to hear though that the cheaper ones work well too. Perhaps I have just been unlucky which is making me think I need to spend a lot to get the right one.

The choices......

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Decided against the Victron inverter. I have spent enough and for the use it gets, I can’t justify the £400. Will keep an eye on the inverter I have and if it gets hot at lower loads I will change it then.

Second battery compartment is in and ready. Using some straps to secure the battery. Just need to sort the original battery compartment fittings. Will probably use the same straps and modify the existing baseplate.

I am leaving everything disconnected till the lithium batteries arrive now. I am still waiting for a mega fuse and holder and don’t want to leave anything live unless it is connected and secure.

DE8A95A7-33A4-450B-BF42-53A50DCB4F22.jpeg

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I know it's great to say things in hindsight but would it have been better to put all the gubbins under the seat and put the second battery where it should go.
Wouldn't have had to take the seat out then. :rofl:
Yes. Your 100% right.

The cables wouldn’t have reached though and I would have ended up rewiring even more. That plus the fact I don’t think I would have got all the cables through made me do it this way.

That bloody seat is never coming out again! Good job lithium are supposed to last years. 😂

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Batteries are here.

Changed my mind with the inverter as well. Was only using a 400watt sander for the floor off it and the terminals were getting hot to the touch. I am not using something that I have to keep checking hasn’t melted or causing a fire so decided to do what I should have done before wasting the £70 I spent on the rubbish, got one of these beauties!

A fortune, but they last forever and won’t melt anything when running at full power.

Once the night shift is out the way I will be sorting it this afternoon.

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
I replaced 3 X 95ah of AGM with 150AH of LiFeP04 . One important detail was the 150A BMS to allow us to continue to use the 1800 watt pure sine wave inverter which operates the microwave oven. The B2B was a Votronic 50A job. But the biggest saving was 62kg of weight which helped greatly in getting the Hymer down plated to 3500kg.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I replaced 3 X 95ah of AGM with 150AH of LiFeP04 . One important detail was the 150A BMS to allow us to continue to use the 1800 watt pure sine wave inverter which operates the microwave oven. The B2B was a Votronic 50A job. But the biggest saving was 62kg of weight which helped greatly in getting the Hymer down plated to 3500kg.
Clive Mott your profile still says you have a Concorde. Might be worth changing to save confusing us old boys.

Last edited:

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
Well, that's all too technical for me, another reason to stick with my original lead battery, which has always been quite adequate, but then we're not in the "take heaps of electrical kit with us" bracket. Manage quite well without mains toaster, microwave, electric kettle and TV.

Also, some lithium mining done by children, would want to ensure any battery I bought was from a reputable source.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Very informative text and very clear pictures ..well done .. How are your knees after so many days?

Back is sore, knees however are fine. :)

Well, that's all too technical for me, another reason to stick with my original lead battery, which has always been quite adequate, but then we're not in the "take heaps of electrical kit with us" bracket. Manage quite well without mains toaster, microwave, electric kettle and TV.

Also, some lithium mining done by children, would want to ensure any battery I bought was from a reputable source.
I haven’t found it too technical so far. It looks that way all at once but I have read lots and had a lot of input from funsters too which really helps.

It is a reputable supplier and the price was high, though they gave me a very, very good deal so I was lucky.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Probably because it’s CCA, (copper coated aluminium)

It certainly didn’t look like it when cut and was heavy enough. I do hope not.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
It’s quite easy to realise if is aluminium plated. When you cut with cable cutters, it goes through like butter and the ends of the strands remain white. Also if you scrape a strand with a knife blade, will reveal the white aluminium.
The dead giveaway is weight, despite being disguised by the insulator.
The CCA I believe is the amp rating As Cold Cranking Amps, as in high surge but not sustained for long. Only enough to start a engine.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I think it’s aluminium.

It’s annoying but not the end of the world. The aluminium is going from the batteries to busbar. The maximum current rating I will draw from each battery is 50amps so I am happy the aluminium, though not ideal, will be enough cross section to cope within the limits. The cable to the inverter is copper thankfully.

You get what you pay for.....

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
As long as there is a fuse on each going to the bus bar, I would leave it in. Run the inverter on 1kw load and see if any heat on either cable from battery to buss bar. If cable is warm, the first indication is soft pliable insulator; 30-40 degC is ok, any higher is not good for prolonged draw. My solar charger and inverter runs quite often at 35-40 deg, so the cable ends are dissipating some.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Thanks Raul, I have an infra red thermometer I can check with. Everything is fused so will carry on.

Lenny, I just saw the shiny copper plating and thought it was okay. You really do buy cheap, buy twice. :-(

The new inverter is a beast! At least twice as heavy. Good job the aluminium cable I got will save me some weight. :)

B49626A8-D84F-46B9-A2BE-5AFD277AAF2F.jpeg

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
That’s why I mentioned welding cable early on the thread. Good high quality double insulator hard wearing, and high grade cooper. Marine grade is the only one above that.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
That’s why I mentioned welding cable early on the thread. Good high quality double insulator hard wearing, and high grade cooper. Marine grade is the only one above that.
I should have listened, bloody Amazon! 👍

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
This is what my house runs of: 3 chargers, two inverters, lots of cables if I pull the covers of the trunking. The small 1200va was at the beginning, and managed the hole house build with 6 panels. Now I use the 5k inv and 33 panels. When we go away, I leave it on the small one as there is no demand. All connected on the internet with remote access and almost full control from anywhere I have signal on the phone or data.

F3CECA42-B628-4985-9ACC-B5C211D7B862.jpeg

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
This is what my house runs of: 3 chargers, two inverters, lots of cables if I pull the covers of the trunking. The small 1200va was at the beginning, and managed the hole house build with 6 panels. Now I use the 5k inv and 33 panels. When we go away, I leave it on the small one as there is no demand. All connected on the internet with remote access and almost full control from anywhere I have signal on the phone or data.

View attachment 464539
Now that’s a setup! 😳

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back