MAJOR CITIES TO BAN DIESEL POWERED VEHICLES. (1 Viewer)

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Anyone considering an LPG conversion in the light of the above? At a cost of around £800 and a claimed fuel saving of 25% plus a cleaner engine and lower emissions; is it an attractive proposition? Has anyone done one, had one done or know anyone who has?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The proposals I read were just cities and it's to be by 2025.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
When they have already lied to you multiple times why would anyone believe them yet again ?
How did a 'congestion charge' ever do anything to reduce pollution ?
How did buying/selling carbon credits reduce pollution ?
Unless they are actually prepared to find a way that reduces pollution in reality & doesn't become a money making scam like usual & stop jumping from one idea to the next then it'll always be viewed with suspicion.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Surely you can't convert a diesel engine to run on LPG or am I badly mistaken?

JJ :cool:
That's what I was thinking, and if you could do it for £800 I would get it done straight away. :)

Deleted User
Surely you can't convert a diesel engine to run on LPG or am I badly mistaken?

JJ :cool:

There are partial conversions, not sure of the technical details but I have driven a converted Foden for Warburtons bakeries at Bolton.

From what I remember it started and warmed up on diesel on and at some stage automatically converted, whether fully or partially I don't know.

What I do know that is that it didn't run very well on LPG, I won't post the more descriptive terms used at the time, fortunately it did have an override switch.

Deleted User
"Existing gasoline-powered vehicles may be converted to run on CNG or LNG, and can be dedicated (running only on natural gas) or bi-fuel (running on either gasoline or natural gas). Diesel engines for heavy trucks and busses can also be converted and can be dedicated with the addition of new heads containing spark ignition systems, or can be run on a blend of diesel and natural gas, with the primary fuel being natural gas and a small amount of diesel fuel being used as an ignition source."

I had never really thought about the difference between natural gas (LNG) and LPG

http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/diesel.html

OP
OP
sewinlynne2

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
As I understand it you can run any diesel engine with an LPG conversion. Some companies are better than others and I've heard good and bad about various ones. Its usually fitted in addition to diesel fuel and if done properly, you even get around 10% more engine power as well. If you google autogas diesel conversion you will see a number of firms who do it.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I had an lpg/petrol motorhome, it was underpowered, it did not reduce fuel consumption, and difficulty in finding lpg garages was a reason for ditching what in every other respect was a lovely motor home. To add to the problems the conversion was not done properly resulting in burnt out exhaust valves and an expensive garage bill. From my experience my advice would be don't go there.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
But would "the authorities" recognise these partial conversions? Wouldn't have thought so given the kerfuffle you need to go through with TfL.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Yet again why does p ups and breweries and stupid poiticians come to mind when I read these threads

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Not a problem to me, ban cars in London totally , i dont give a flying one, Paris , the same.

They introduced the 'congestion charge' in London, i dont go there , and wont go there.

Hopefully by the time this comes round people will realise what utter crap the whole ' 0% emissions' thing is .

The carbon footprint of a hybrid or electric car is massive, when you take into account all the heavy metal mining that has to be done to make the batteries... and coal and gas fired power stations turning out the electric to run them.. if you ignore that, then great , if you dont , the environmental impact of 'green' cars makes them beyond credible as a replacement for the ICE.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Don't worry the Londoners will all be starving to death after a short time when No big trucks fill the supermarkets and no vans deliver food parcels from the relatives outside the ban area.
This is just a demonisation of Diesel following the encouragement to buy them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back