Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
A silly question - The 25m mains hook up cable that was supplied with our new motorhome is very stiff to handle it's like wrestling with a snake!! when trying to pack it away and it just seems stay kinked, it is rated 16 amp & 2.5mm core which I assume is the norm. Was just wondering if all mains hook ups are the same, will it get more plyable with use. Also would keeping it on a storage reel make it easier to handle. Thanks for advice in advance (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I agree with all your post. Just want to mention these.

No flexible cable is designed to for that is probably correct but some cables are more able to deal with it that others. You only have to have had experience of stripping the outside sheath of a variety of cables to know this. My tough orange cable was a real git to strip, it was as tough as old boot leather. With arctic cable I have to be extremely careful not to go right through to the inner insulation. My previous comments on this subject were based on experience not regs or specs. As to it never happening? I have been on many aires, CL's and small sites where this is exactly what happens on odd occasions. I have even had to dig my cables out of 8" of mud after a 4x4 with caravan decided he liked going the wrong way past my motorhome to avoid a puddle.

I never said anyone needed to throw away cables. Yes, I was being pedantic about it but only to make the point. I even said I used Arctic cable in certain circumstances myself :p:whistle:

PS: I have dealt with all types of cable, from Pyro, to armoured 4 core to the more regular types. I still have my certs on this subject somewhere so my comments are not totally blind.

Hook up cables made out of Pyro. Now there's an idea :D(y)

Upvote 0

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
After wading through the last 7 pages I can see the mentality that takes an EU directive and gold plates it for the UK. Turning what is a half page of A4 in the other countries into a 14 page document :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Dick

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
As I said and Nick reiterated my concern is more with voltage drop if you are discussing EHU cables, especially when you are on say 6 amp EHU. If you have a 1200 watt kettle I think at 230 volts that draws 5.2 amps, so all fine. But if say the post is down to 210 volts thats 5.7 amps, and I have seen 200 volts often, so then you are at the 6 amp limit of the breaker and you have not done anything. So somewhere in that mix a cable that is say 25 metres there is a further voltage drop (someone here will be able to offer the differences between 1.5, 2.5 or 4 mm on 25 metres) which could make the difference to busting the breaker or not.

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I think Gromett is talking about the sheathing/insulation flexibility at -15 and you are quoting a spec that shows the conductor temperature rating -30.

Martin
The lowest operating temperature is the same as conductor temperature -30, depending on manufacture as some quote -35
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Eddie has come up trumps for you, bet your gutted they do them after all that :ROFLMAO:(y)
I'm not quite sure what your problem is gh.. I asked.. you couldnt answer but some others did. Just get over it and be nice eh ..
And yes .. You're right I am going to get one.

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I'm not quite sure what your problem is gh.. I asked.. you couldnt answer but some others did. Just get over it and be nice eh ..
And yes .. You're right I am going to get one.
Thank god for that, I will be able to sleep tonight:p(y)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As I said and Nick reiterated my concern is more with voltage drop if you are discussing EHU cables, especially when you are on say 6 amp EHU. If you have a 1200 watt kettle I think at 230 volts that draws 5.2 amps, so all fine. But if say the post is down to 210 volts thats 5.7 amps, and I have seen 200 volts often, so then you are at the 6 amp limit of the breaker and you have not done anything. So somewhere in that mix a cable that is say 25 metres there is a further voltage drop (someone here will be able to offer the differences between 1.5, 2.5 or 4 mm on 25 metres) which could make the difference to busting the breaker or not.

sorry .. incorrect .. let me explain

Low voltage will result in low current which is lower power .. the amps drawn is calculated from Ohms law..

for example.. your 1200 watt kettle at 240 v will use 5amps.. therefore the element has a resistance of 48 ohms (the resistance value is a constant)

if the voltage drops to 200v the current would be I = V/R = 4.17 amps and the power would be V x I = 833 watts

Summing up
the lower the voltage goes, the lower the current is, and the less power in watts .. so the kettle takes longer to boil..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

Low voltage will result in low current which is lower power .. the amps drawn is calculated from Ohms law..

for example.. your 1200 watt kettle at 240 v will use 5amps.. therefore the element has a resistance of 48 ohms (the resistance value is a constant)

if the voltage drops to 200v the current would be I = V/R = 4.17 amps and the power would be V x I = 833 watts

Summing up
the lower the voltage goes, the lower the current is, and the less power in watts .. so the kettle takes longer to boil..
Not always true Jim

For a resistive load the current will decrease in direct proportion to voltage. Motors and other inductive loads may actually draw more current when run under voltage.
A lot depends on what is connected to
the voltage it will either increase or decrease depending on how much of the load is constant impedance and how much constant power

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
yes.. very aware of that....

I was replying to a post where a kettle was being used.. a resistive load..
Thanks both, I am not an electrician so have just used the calculations I have read so the principle of drop remains although I would have it back to front in Jims analysis, I picked a kettle, should have said Air Con....

Upvote 0

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009

Summing up
You need to take altitude into account too Jim :LOL:

Dick

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Personally? If a lead is electrically sound, and there is power through a hook up available, I use it.

We shouldn't loose sight of the fact that we are running a small house ( in some cases) through an extension lead:Eeek:

image.jpg

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

EDIT: Just noticed this has already been answered!

It doesn't work like that, the 1200W rating of the kettle will be at a specific input voltage, say 220V. As the input voltage reduces, or raises, the current will essentially change proportionally, so with a 110V input voltage your kettle will only be drawing half the current it did with 220V input and generating only 600W.

I say essentially, as there is another factor, which is the resistance of the element rises as it heats up so as the voltage reduces the resistance doesn't stay constant and the current won't reduce quite proportionally but the effect is normally only a few percent and doesn't mean the current remains constant or even rises as the voltage reduces.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
That's it, I'm ripping out all my led's and fitting gas mantles and I'm gonna charge my battery with a dynamo rubbing on the back wheel :LOL:

Upvote 0

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
My new cable arrived from Rolec. I'm now legal :reel:

View attachment 90658
25m of electric heaven .. :)
Jesus, hate to think what that cost! Used to buy their pedestals for the Marina when they had a monopoly. Over the years a lot of their ex-employees set up on their own and score better on both price and service.

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
So, there we was in Spain, Easter. The "Spanish" turn up for their tradional Easter "Bun Fight". On the next pitch are 3 Tents communally covered by a "Blue Tarp". (getting the picture?). Out of the "transit" and several cars, come the Fridge Freezer, the Full size Domestic Hot plate, the Sandwich maker (electric). Two T-V`s, a "Sound System", An X-Box or similar, Several Hair driers / Straightener thingies. and assorted charging units for Phones etc;. The whole was plugged into a collection a Multi-Block Outlets on the ground and pretty much operated simultaneously on the site 220V EHU. even during prolonged rain.!!. Health and Safety?? Yeh!:. And posters think there is an issue with EHU Power cables? Anyone know the Spanish for "Wimps"??.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D.

Pete

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
So whilst we worry about mains leads don't forget where to plug into - this is the camp site at Honfleur - just let the kids plug in for you :eek:
P1080525.JPG

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
So whilst we worry about mains leads don't forget where to plug into - this is the camp site at Honfleur - just let the kids plug in for you :eek:View attachment 93137

Now That`s quite tidy, I can even see Earthing!!. I don`t think I`ve ever seen that much Yellow/green cable on a campground hookup. How was the polarity?

Pete

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back