Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
A silly question - The 25m mains hook up cable that was supplied with our new motorhome is very stiff to handle it's like wrestling with a snake!! when trying to pack it away and it just seems stay kinked, it is rated 16 amp & 2.5mm core which I assume is the norm. Was just wondering if all mains hook ups are the same, will it get more plyable with use. Also would keeping it on a storage reel make it easier to handle. Thanks for advice in advance (y)

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
But doesn't have BASEC approval for Caravan Cable application so not compliant, regs specify H07RN 2.5sq mm so if anything goes wrong, problems
BASEC would not approve a cable for a specific application. A BASEC approval confirms that a cable is made to a specific specification (IEC, BS EN, BS) and production/quality is monitored regularly by them. BASEC website
As I have said in another post. Be wary of where you by any cable from. There are significant quantities of counterfeit cables circulating which are dangerous to use. We have seen instances of undersize conductors, copper clad steel, highly flammable insulation. Have a look here ACI Website. When buying cable buy it from a reputable source, and where possible check it's BASEC approved and "HD marked".
And yes I work in the Electricity Industry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Worrying...........
burn it.png

this is worst case I have seen:
cable2.jpg

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
BASEC would not approve a cable for a specific application. A BASEC approval confirms that a cable is made to a specific specification (IEC, BS EN, BS) and production/quality is monitored regularly by them. BASEC website
As I have said in another post. Be wary of where you by any cable from. There are significant quantities of counterfeit cables circulating which are dangerous to use. We have seen instances of undersize conductors, copper clad steel, highly flammable insulation. Have a look here ACI Website. When buying cable buy it from a reputable source, and where possible check it's BASEC approved and "HD marked".
And yes I work in the Electricity Industry.
Agreed but the cable does not have BASEC approval for the caravan hook up cable given there is a specification in the regs is all I was pointing out, are you saying Artic Blue is approved for this application ?
i am part of the IEE/IET, and I am also in the Electrical Industry
Also agree about poor quality cable, in fact there was a major issue with Artic Blue in 2011 as pointed out in my qt magazine from the IET

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why try and coil it? I simply wrap it around my elbow and thumb just like mi mam's washing line. Amazingly, mine naturally forms a figure of eight.
That is exactly what causes it to lose it's memory. Anyway few people have the necessary six-inch thumb.:whistle::)

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
what spec or regulation do you refer .. ?
I will have to leave that for you to research I can't remember now as it was a long time since I read up on it.
My memory indicates it is usable on 110V centre tapped transformers or other outdoor use when suitably protected.
They are not suitable for use at normal uk voltage in outdoor applications where rough treatment is possible.

Hence my understanding that using it to run across grass where it won't be damaged is fine, but running across hard surfaces or where other vehicles may run over it is not.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
what spec or regulation do you refer .. ?
I just did a quick search to satisfy myself.

Broken Link Removed

The cables are suitable for
– use on ELV systems (110V centre
tapped) on building sites in the UK;
– use with temporary traffic light systems
when suitably protected.
The cables are not suitable for:
– outdoor use at standard voltages
– in industrial* or agricultural buildings

My original trade was as an Electrician though I left it after only a brief time (4 years) to go into computers. When stripping cables for use I use a stanley knife and on purely a judgement basis stripping the heavy duty cables vs arctic cables indicates in really physical way how soft and unprotected the arctic cables are in comparison. I wouldn't want to use the Arctic cables anywhere there is a risk of physical abuse however slight.

That said I do use an arctic cable when on campsites where it is on grass and there is absolutely no chance of any vehicle driving over it or other risks that might damage the cable. For those locations I drag out my heavy duty cable.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
So... can one of you electricians point to the best type approved, legal,euro compliant, hook up cable (with appropriate rules and regs available for perusal of course) ?

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Agreed but the cable does not have BASEC approval for the caravan hook up cable given there is a specification in the regs is all I was pointing out, are you saying Artic Blue is approved for this application ?
i am part of the IEE/IET, and I am also in the Electrical Industry
Also agree about poor quality cable, in fact there was a major issue with Artic Blue in 2011 as pointed out in my qt magazine from the IET

What I am saying is BASEC only approve a cable against a manufacturing/design specification. They do not approve it for any specific application. The approval is also manufacturer and production point specific. Artic Blue cables may well be BASEC approved but that doen't mean it's suitable for caravan hook up use. All it means is it fully complies with the relevant BS/IEC specification for Artic Blue Cables.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Rather than argue the toss, to satisfy myself, I have emailed AEI Cables Technical for advise and use of their flexible cables for caravan hook up.. in particular, is Arctic cable suitable .

This is AEI PVC Flexible Cords specs. (scroll down for Arctic grade )

Broken Link Removed

Voltage Rating 300/500 volts
Description PVC Ordinary Duty Flexible Cords (Arctic Grade). These cords retain their flexibility at low temperatures, to -25C, and are therefore suitable for indoor and outdoor use to feed equipment such as temporary traffic lights and portable tools.
Construction Flexible plain copper conductors, low temperature PVC insulation, cores laid up, low temperature PVC sheath.
Operating Temperature -25degC to +70degC

I will post when they reply

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I too am one of Gods Gifted (left handed) and found coiling cable became tangled a lot due to going against the natural twist. I now do the same as I did when sailing called "elephants ears" where you open the right hand (in my case) and lay the cable over and over either side with a couple of feet in length looped. A small 3" toggle bungee in the middle to bind it for stowing keeps it neat and tidy. Never have a tangle and easy to open out fully on site.

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
What I am saying is BASEC only approve a cable against a manufacturing/design specification. They do not approve it for any specific application. The approval is also manufacturer and production point specific. Artic Blue cables may well be BASEC approved but that doen't mean it's suitable for caravan hook up use. All it means is it fully complies with the relevant BS/IEC specification for Artic Blue Cables.
Exactly it doesn't meet the design specification for hook up cables and therefore doesn't meet the requirements and subsequently have the BASEC/BS7919 approval for this application even thou Artic may well have approval
HO7-RN-F has the required approvals for above application(y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am now thoroughly confused:notworthy:. However I'm not confused enough not to purchase 60 metres of artic blue cable from the linky provided by @scotjimland . I shall be making two 25m cables up and the spare, well I'll think of something.
Purchase made and thanks for the link Jim.(y)

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
So... can one of you electricians point to the best type approved, legal,euro compliant, hook up cable (with appropriate rules and regs available for perusal of course) ?
What you buy in the Dealers/Caravan shops HO7RN-F/HO5 2.5mmsq BS7919, never seen Artic Blue supplied with a new caravan /M/H

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am now thoroughly confused:notworthy:. However I'm not confused enough not to purchase 60 metres of artic blue cable from the linky provided by @scotjimland . I shall be making two 25m cables up and the spare, well I'll think of something.
Purchase made and thanks for the link Jim.(y)
Let's hope it's not some of this cable BB(y)
From the BASEC website, don't know how to post a link
Some cable that does not comply with BS 7919 can be found on the market, often labelled as ‘arctic grade’, but with inadequate cold temperature performance. If installing such cable it is wise to check the specification is to the correct British or European standard.
The British Approvals Service for Cables (BASEC) has issued a warning about some ‘arctic grade’ cable supplied into the UK market. This cable, usually coloured yellow or blue, is commonly used on construction sites and other outdoor applications for temporary power supplies, and in some indoor applications such as cold stores. The recent winter weather has highlighted the issue of the performance of cables in the cold.

BASEC independently tested samples of selected ‘arctic grade’ cables. The sheathing and insulation of certain cables were found to disintegrate when subjected to a cold bending test. This problem could result in a fire, short circuit or an electric shock. The products in question also exhibited poor conductor resistance and other faults.

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Let's hope it's not some of this cable BB(y)
From the BASEC website, don't know how to post a link
Some cable that does not comply with BS 7919 can be found on the market, often labelled as ‘arctic grade’, but with inadequate cold temperature performance. If installing such cable it is wise to check the specification is to the correct British or European standard.
The British Approvals Service for Cables (BASEC) has issued a warning about some ‘arctic grade’ cable supplied into the UK market. This cable, usually coloured yellow or blue, is commonly used on construction sites and other outdoor applications for temporary power supplies, and in some indoor applications such as cold stores. The recent winter weather has highlighted the issue of the performance of cables in the cold.

BASEC independently tested samples of selected ‘arctic grade’ cables. The sheathing and insulation of certain cables were found to disintegrate when subjected to a cold bending test. This problem could result in a fire, short circuit or an electric shock. The products in question also exhibited poor conductor resistance and other faults.

Noted GH and thanks for the pointers.(y)

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
What you buy in the Dealers/Caravan shops HO7RN-F/HO5 2.5mmsq BS7919, never seen Artic Blue supplied with a new caravan /M/H
I'm pretty sure we got ours at towsure years ago .... wherever we got it I'm sure it's not got any of that stuff on it.. nor have I seen any with any of that on it...
A link to a "correct" product would be good

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I'm pretty sure we got ours at towsure years ago .... wherever we got it I'm sure it's not got any of that stuff on it.. nor have I seen any with any of that on it...
A link to a "correct" product would be good
Don't know how to post links, but you have the Specc HO7 RN-F/HO5 RN-F 2.5mm Sq approved cable will have it stamped, sometimes not easily visible but it is there
Ring up a reputable distributor or electrical wholesale and quote your requirements

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
My point being... I can't find one. (I really only shop online or in person)

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I don't doubt you with these people but this is an online forum for motorhomes. I'm more than happy to make sure I have the correct hook up cable but ... bearing in mind I shop online mostly .... I can't find a hook up cable that's advertised as HO7 RN-F/HO5 RN-F 2.5mmSq ...
I'm really not being pedantic and I am grateful to folk on here from the electrical trade.. just need someone to point me to a hook up cable that's compliant and shows it. I'll buy one.

.. in fact
Cef have these
http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/categories/caravan-hook-up-mains-connection-leads-ip44?page=1

None of which appear to comply

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
They are 1.5mm cables so less than the correct size and therefore a risk that they could be overloaded!

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I don't doubt you with these people but this is an online forum for motorhomes. I'm more than happy to make sure I have the correct hook up cable but ... bearing in mind I shop online mostly .... I can't find a hook up cable that's advertised as HO7 RN-F/HO5 RN-F 2.5mmSq ...
I'm really not being pedantic and I am grateful to folk on here from the electrical trade.. just need someone to point me to a hook up cable that's compliant and shows it. I'll buy one.

.. in fact
Cef have these
http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/categories/caravan-hook-up-mains-connection-leads-ip44?page=1

None of which appear to comply
Csecables.com
https://www.cef.co.uk/ categories/cables
Or just enter HO7RNF caravan cable into google plenty stock it

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@Gorse Hill thanks for the link and I can find cables but I cannot see any ready made (because that's how most of us buy them) hook up cables that are shown as HO7RN-F/HO5 RN-F 2.5mmSq. That's my point.

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
@Gorse Hill thanks for the link and I can find cables but I cannot see any ready made (because that's how most of us buy them) hook up cables that are shown as HO7RN-F/HO5 RN-F 2.5mmSq. That's my point.

SDC, I am the least capable'diyer' in the world but I do make up my own hook up cables. If I can anybody can.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back