Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
A silly question - The 25m mains hook up cable that was supplied with our new motorhome is very stiff to handle it's like wrestling with a snake!! when trying to pack it away and it just seems stay kinked, it is rated 16 amp & 2.5mm core which I assume is the norm. Was just wondering if all mains hook ups are the same, will it get more plyable with use. Also would keeping it on a storage reel make it easier to handle. Thanks for advice in advance (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A cable reel would make it easier.

It probably will soften a bit with time but for now when you pack it away, if you haven't got a reel, coil it in loose coils trying to make sure it isn't twisted as you go.

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
They do become more pliable after use so be patient. Not recommended to keep the cable coiled, on or off a drum when in use, particularly at this time of year when high consumption items are used (heating, hot water heaters and kettles) There will be those on here who say it does not matter but perhaps they are not the ones who have seen coiled cables melt or worse vans going up in smoke. :smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
They do become more pliable after use so be patient. Not recommended to keep the cable coiled, on or off a drum when in use, particularly at this time of year when high consumption items are used (heating, hot water heaters and kettles) There will be those on here who say it does not matter but perhaps they are not the ones who have seen coiled cables melt or worse vans going up in smoke. :smiley:
I will second that. What ever you do uncoil the whole cable by lying it on the ground in long lines if need be.
image.jpg

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Another vote Artic cable.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I recognise that scenario. When the weather gets colder that happens to my cable too. I always fully unwind it when on hook up and I have tried using a cable spool, but found that makes things even worse (it is only a cold weather problem in my experience, never happens when warm).
So now I never use the cable spool, I do what we were taught to do when coiling climbing ropes back in the 60s; hold one end at arms length in your left hand and take a hold of the cable about six feet down in your other. Then swing your arms outwards and as your arms come back together, transfer the cable from your right hand to your left. Keep on until you've coiled the whole lot. You will end up with a neat coil about two feet or so long, and it is good exercise for your arms, best of all it won't kink. Gary

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
After eight years, my orange cable is still stiff and awkward to coil. If I ever have to buy another I will look for Arctic cable but since we don't use the hook-up cable that often, this is unlikely to be any time soon.

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I find that if you use a reel it will wind up better and unwind without kinks if you alternate the end from which you start winding/unwinding by moving the reel to the other end of the cable when on site .

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A cable in large, loose coils is fine....no need to lay it out in lines as any heat produced will easily dissipate..

A cable tightly wound or on a drum will overheat and possibly melt due to the heat produced having no way of dissipating and getting hotter and hotter.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tweedie

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Thanks all. very helpful funster advice as usual.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
also i thought 1.5mm cable was enough to cope with a 16amp supply or does the length make a difference?
Length will also make a difference - longer the cable, higher the volt drop.
16A through a 25m cable in free air is right at the top end limit for 1.5mm cable. Recommend using 2.5mm

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We are on our second cable already ! The problem being my OH is cuddy-wifted! Yes left handed , he always winds it the wrong way once it's been used so it coils and kinks every time we use it! Have tried telling him!! And done it myself but as @tonyidle says it tries to find its own way back!

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
A cable in large, loose coils is fine....no need to lay it out in lines as any heat produced will easily dissipate..

A cable tightly wound or on a drum will overheat and possibly melt due to the heat produced having no way of dissipating and getting hotter and hotter.
Ah, well you do it your way and I'll do it mine thank you.

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Arctic blue is a great cable but not specced for this use. That being said I will use one where I am on grass and no vehicles or other heavy things run across it. My thick orange cable is 11 years old now and has had serious abuse but is still going strong. This gets used whenever I am on a hard surface or if there is any risk of abuse to the cable. I wouldn't dare use the arctic on a hard standing etc...

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
But doesn't have BASEC approval for Caravan Cable application so not compliant, regs specify H07RN 2.5sq mm so if anything goes wrong, problems

do you have a link to this regulation, please ?

This is the information from the Caravan Club and it doesn't specify HO7RN

British Standard 7671, 2001 for Caravan/Motorhome Mains Hook-up Cable :

"For connecting the caravan to the Site socket outlet, a connecting cable is required. This cable must be 3 core 2.5mm², PVC/PVC, flexible cable and 25 metres (+/- 2 metres) in length".

Nor does the

IEE Regulations

7.9.2 - Caravan installations

Every caravan which includes an electrical installation must be provided with a flexible lead not more than 25 m long fitted with a BS EN 60309-2 plug and a BS EN 60309-2 connector with the keyway at position 6h. The cross-sectional area of the cable must be related to the rated current of the plug as shown by {Table 7.6}.

if anything goes wrong, problems

Arctic Blue cable in my link complies with this regulation.. what could go wrong and what problem ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Table 7B BS7540
Bs6500 Cable Specc
BS 7919 Table 44 (not harmonised), commonly referred to as 3183A (Arctic Grade Flex), was specifically designed and, hence, included in the British Standard, for use at 110 V a.c. from centre tapped transformers (55v - 0v - 55v).
regulation 721.55.2.6(ii)
BS7671
BS7919 Table 4 (3183A)
One question to ask yourself Jim, have you ever seen it for sale at caravan shops/dealers

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
@Gorse Hill

For future reference.. You can buy Arctic Blue extension lead at Screwfix..

CED 240V Extension Lead Blue 2.5mm

Manufactured from artic grade 3 cord flex. With 16A 3-pin plug. VDE approved.
ae235

Broken Link Removed

View attachment 89228
When did screwfix start selling caravans (y) To be honest Jim from a technical point of view the cable meets nearly all the requirements to be used on site, however it doesn't have the required approvals which could be a problem if anything goes wrong

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
What regulations ? I made my own cable from 25m of yellow artic cable, one line plug and one line socket. :sneaky: I doubt you would ever have any problems, with a correctly made cable.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
European notorhomers appear to use any old domestic flex or extension lead, often run from van to van, or joined together in lengths far greater than 25m

I don't recall ever seeing them having major problems, they just seem to get on with it. :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back