Main Dealer Experience. New Solar Panel and Extra Leisure Battery (1 Viewer)

Trekka

Free Member
Apr 28, 2018
Funster No
Our van came with Sargent EC500 unit, a 105Ah Hankook battery and a 30W solar panel. As the solar panel is neither use nor ornament I wanted to replace it with a 120W panel (… the maximum that I thought the EC500 will take). The van is still in its warranty period, so I decided against my own handy work, and took it to the manufacturers instead. I also asked them to fit a second leisure battery.

In my naivety I thought this would be just a matter of a fused link between healthy batteries with the same Ah rating in parallel. And a direct replacement of the solar panel, possibly with upgraded wiring.

When I went to pick the van up, they said that the EC500 wasn’t suitable for the 120W panel, so they had changed the wiring to charge from a separate solar charge controller (“PV Logic 10A”) that had come with the solar panel kit they had ordered. I thought that this was unnecessary extra wiring and equipment and expense, and means that the solar charging is now not visible on the Sargent Display.

Instead of a second 105Ah battery they installed a 90Ah Hankook (for £180! compared to £70 in batterymegastore.co.uk), and then listed it as 120Ah on the invoice.

I know the main dealer prices will be over the odds, but what I want to verify is whether the additional charging unit was necessary, and whether the 15Ah difference in capacity will harm the batteries.
Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you asked them to fit a solar panel they should have informed you they need to fit an additional controller, not just do it without your authorisation.
That's like taking a car for a routine oil service and finding two new tyres on the bill.
Demand a discount and a replacement 105a battery.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
They should have contacted you to tell you of the extra cost, it’s not their place to say what you want to spend. If they invoiced a 120amp battery that’s what I would want, get them to fit correct one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Basically you been shafted.
There is no issue with a 120w panel on the EC500. By connecting to the Sargent unit not only do you have the display facility but also the "smart charge" where you can have both cab and leisure batteries charging.
All that was needed to connect into the Sargent was a lead less than £20.

Did mine DIY on an Apache 700 and never an issue with warranty and mine went back to factory a few times with various other issues.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Shocking incompetence. I'd take it back and tell them to remove the controller and battery and refund you for them. I'm sure you could fit the £20 cable to the Sargent yourself.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Definitely go back and have it out with them. Can't ask for a 105ah, bill you for a 120ah and fit a 90ah.

You'd be better with another 105ah anyway, make life easier if you want to fit an inverter at some point.
Replacing your onboard solar controller without even asking you is poor especially as it seems it would work anyway and you've now lost the display option. Hopefully its an easy fix to re-enable it

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I expect they put the job out to a local guy who does their electrical work. He will have done what he always does as he doesn't understand the wiring in different vans.
There should be no need for an additional loom that others have mentioned as it already had a panel. The only reason to change the controller would be to fit a decent MPPT regulator all they have done is fit another cheap one.
I would also be inclined to check the installation on the roof and the size of the cables run down through the van.

IMO the supplying dealer is the last place to go to get a solar panel or additional electrical work done on the van.

I've told this story a few times on here, I was going to fit a solar panel to my mates Carthago but as it was a new van he decided to fork out 3 times as much and get the supplying dealer to fit it.
Biggest bodge I've ever seen, panel mounted on the roof had about 5mm of sika under the brackets at one end, the other end had at least 200 mm of Sika not only looked awful but for a good bond you should have 2-3mm. They ignored the pre-installed 6 mm sq cables and used 1.25 mm sq mains flex. They fitted a cheapo 5 quid regulator only wired to the leisure battery (mate asked for it to charge starter as well).

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
tonka has nailed it I.M.O. I too have an Autotrail with an EC500 fitted. (2011). The EC500 comes with a factory fitted solar panel controller as standard. All that is required is for the Solar Panel to be connected then both Hab and cab batteries are charged accordingly. Also, the limit of the controller is 10 Amps and a 120 W solar panel will be fine. (I have a 125 W ). Why a 30 W panel was fitted in the first place is unbelievable, about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. I suspect the dealer has now bypassed the Sargent system all together and wired the Solar Panel directly to the Hab batteries via the new un-needed control and your Cab battery will not be charged by the Solar Panel. As for the fitting of the second Hab battery, again I think you have been ripped off on price and he should have fitted a like for like second battery. I don't think 15 AH difference will do any harm but if as you say an identical 2nd battery was available for him to fit it just goes to show that in my opinion, they are a world class asshole and you have been screwed.

OP
OP
Trekka

Trekka

Free Member
Apr 28, 2018
Funster No
Many thanks for the replies.

I have spoken to them about the battery, and they agree it was not the one specified.

I also discussed the solar charger. The person I spoke to was adamant that the EC500 couldn’t dual charge the vehicle and leisure batteries ( … just plain wrong), and said that they always installed an extra controller/regulator for the 120w panel.

My understanding, confirmed by “Tonka” above, and also Sargent, is that Autotrail and Autosleeper vans fitted with an EC500 have a solar controller attached to the rear of the EC500 unit. I’ve managed to have a look at the back of the PSU and can see that there is an existing solar controller … just like this one :-
Capture.JPG

This looks identical to the 10A controller I had on my old Autotrail, so capable of handling the 6.7 amps from the new panel. I’ll try and get a better look at it tomorrow to see if it gives a full specification.

Cheers

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
One thing I am picking up on threads like this is the need for all of us to give a written instruction, or confirmation , of the specs , items, we are buying. Obviously may require a bit of research before committing to paper or e-mail,

Hope you resolve your hassle with the dealer, who after all do these sort of things all the time, and have a ready stock of answers if they feel challanged.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks for the replies.

I have spoken to them about the battery, and they agree it was not the one specified.

I also discussed the solar charger. The person I spoke to was adamant that the EC500 couldn’t dual charge the vehicle and leisure batteries ( … just plain wrong), and said that they always installed an extra controller/regulator for the 120w panel.

My understanding, confirmed by “Tonka” above, and also Sargent, is that Autotrail and Autosleeper vans fitted with an EC500 have a solar controller attached to the rear of the EC500 unit. I’ve managed to have a look at the back of the PSU and can see that there is an existing solar controller … just like this one :-
View attachment 358198
This looks identical to the 10A controller I had on my old Autotrail, so capable of handling the 6.7 amps from the new panel. I’ll try and get a better look at it tomorrow to see if it gives a full specification.

Cheers
Guessing the size of that controller from the size of the terminals it looks tiny. Given what you are probably spending you should really go for an MPPT controller. They are bigger - and better. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back