LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Had a flat battery yesterday and my "multi use" yellow box failed to help.

Called the RAC and they turned up and used a very small booster unit to get me going. Vey impressed. I should have asked for the make and type...

Any suggestions ?

Ta

ShiftZZ

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Anyone with one of those yellow battery boosters should be aware, to be of any use they need to be kept on charge almost 24/7, Im sure someone will come on and say well mine dont, to that i would say good luck and hang on to it:RollEyes:
the AA and "proper" trade versions cost aprox £250-£350 and will hold aprox 20-30 jump starts between charges,also aprox survive 3 months without use and still work
so you will understand why the Chineese £24.99 arnt really upto the job:Doh:
Geo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Got mine from Liddl's for £19.99....................does the job so long as you keep it fully charged like Geo said.

My friend bought one at the same time...............he thought it would be a good idea to keep it plugged into his cig lighter in his car..................he text me the next day to tell me it flattened his battery............so I said "It's a good job you put it on charge so that you had the power to start it" he agreed :ROFLMAO:

You couldn't write this stuff lololol!

Bless him, he can't help being from London :winky:

Boo

P.S. I did explain the problem later to him :thumb:

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
Isn't it funny that good advice like George's only comes after you have bought the thing. Ah well, never mind eh!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Isn't it funny that good advice like George's only comes after you have bought the thing. Ah well, never mind eh!
Yes But where was help for me when I bought Two:cry:thinking after the first one they cant all be crap:Doh:
kept at home on charge they will be ok for 95% of the time, charge it, throw it in the boot for the next emergancy, forget it:shout:
even in the RV I have one permanently on charge, except for when I need it, then I find it was unplugged 3 days ago and is flat:Blush:
Geo

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
You could try charging your el-cheapo starter doofer via a small inverter that only pulls in when the engine is switched on.

Not much help when you've left your MH parked a while though.

Apart from that, bearing in mind that Misty Murph jump started a big V8 from a Smart car battery, howzabout a small car battery, but remember to recharge it once a month.

If you are happy to flash some cash, a Red Top Battery makes a good starter doofer, but even they have to be charged every now and again.

Then there's the other route, jump off your leisure batteries.
Assuming they are the sort that are happy to do the job, depends on their combined max output amperage.

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
Just for a laugh....

I had occasion to use my sit-on lawnmower a couple of years ago to jump start my wifes merc. Hows that for one-upmanship!! :ROFLMAO: I got the idea from using the merc to start the lawn mower before it had a new battery the previous year. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back