Maiden Voyage (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
In 5 weeks time I'm driving a Motorhome that we bought for my mother in law ( a week ago ) over to Portugal. We have booked the Eurotunnel for 4th November and will be flying back. I'm hoping to get there in 3 days.
I'm going to follow TomTom using the non toll roads.
Is there an app I can download to find Aires when I feel the need to stop ?
We are really looking forward to it although it's quite daunting not knowing the history of the motorhome we have just bought. It has had a full service and I will check as much as possible before we go.
We are heading to Montargil in Portugal
Any tips would be more than welcome

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
There are others but personally used and highly recommend ‘ NKC campercontact’.

Have a great trip(y)

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks Christian I will have a look at that

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That will be quite a three days of driving. Make sure it that you have the time to take longer if you feel you need to. Don't discount toll autoroutes, a few euros can save a lot of effort negotiating towns and villages. There are a lot of traffic calming measures in France.

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
That will be quite a three days of driving. Make sure it that you have the time to take longer if you feel you need to. Don't discount toll autoroutes, a few euros can save a lot of effort negotiating towns and villages. There are a lot of traffic calming measures in France.
Thanks Annie for the advice

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We’re down in Portugal now and the weather is great... hope you have a good journey but as others said that’s a lot of driving..... give yourself a backup plan...(y)

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
I'll be displaying my sticker (y)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
OK Now back from pub! Route recommendations below and suggest you get to your final destination using the non toll route option in Spain via Burgos , Salamanca & Badajoz. Your Sat Nav should automatically plan this part of the route if you select non toll. I'm assuming your up to speed with the Portuguese toll system.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is for an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. The whole route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large.

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs).

Approaching Tours on the D910, join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road. (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63.

A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr.)).

This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic sea which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the roads are quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing the roads.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last tollbooth and crossing the river.

You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

As for stop overs along this route, should you choose to use it in the future, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe.

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps App and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Thank you for that very in depth and informative reply. I will be reading through that quite a few times. I think my wife is more apprehensive than me.
Thanks again for taking the time to give us all that info. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back