Maiden voyage (1 Viewer)

Skyblue87

Free Member
Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
we are bravely taking our recently purchased motor home for a little run out over the weekend. We have been told that we need a special water hose to fill our tank I need to purchase one tomorrow from a shop ideally (left it too late to order on line) any ideas please I am local to Coventry and Warwickshire thanks

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Hello and welcome from Scotland. :WelcomeFlag:Don't know about a special hose, grade water hose, so do some don't. You just need various hose, tap connections. Have a good trip out.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
What motor home?

The best thing and most useful so far recommended from here were 2 * 10 litre watering cans. I use them in most sites, saves messing around moving van. snout fits perfectly in water inlet. I hardly ever use the hose connector.

Sorry I edit in

Hi and welcome to a most useful site:sun:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Depends on model .. There is one that needs a special hose BUT you can fill the tank from inside. Best item for filling up is a watering can or two watering cans and half the journeys. They fit all known taps and you don't have to remember any of the tap fittings or unwind hoses. 100Ltr tank is 5 trips.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Skyblue87

Free Member
Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
Hello and welcome from Scotland. :WelcomeFlag:Don't know about a special hose, grade water hose, so do some don't. You just need various hose, tap connections. Have a good trip out.

Thank you, do you use any sterilising solutions ?? There is so much to think about and so much information we have a swift kontiki which is 10 years old

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you, do you use any sterilising solutions ?
Just fully empty your tank regularly, don't leave water in for a long time.
UK tap water contains chlorine which will keep the water clean and fresh....But soon becomes ineffective hence drain regularly.
I drained down after every trip, only takes a moment to open the drain tap.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Thank you, do you use any sterilising solutions ?? There is so much to think about and so much information we have a swift kontiki which is 10 years old
Many years of boating experience and few months of motorhome.
I would say if you drain down fresh water after each trip, then fill up when needed, the water is safe. Additives will make the water taste like shyte so I wouldnt do it.

I have fitted a water filter to my van as all my boating years, I have used one. Old habits die hard! But saying this, on a boat, you cant drain down so easily therefore you tend to carry old water. The filter on the motor home was fitted as I don't trust foreign water.

Upvote 0

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Some people swear by white vinegar and some use puriclean tablets. Do not use Milton fluid as you will damage your heating water tank. Enjoy.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
For cold drinking water, we tend to use bottled, but otherwise for hot drinks with boiled water, cooking and washing water from the tank - don't use any specific sterilisation. But do empty the tank reasonably regularly.

Oh, and another vote for a plastic watering can for filling up on sites. (y) Just use the garden hose at home to half-fill the tank before setting out (don't usually top it right up).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Skyblue87

Free Member
Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
For cold drinking water, we tend to use bottled, but otherwise for hot drinks with boiled water, cooking and washing water from the tank - don't use any specific sterilisation. But do empty the tank reasonably regularly.

Oh, and another vote for a plastic watering can for filling up on sites. (y) Just use the garden hose at home to half-fill the tank before setting out (don't usually top it right up).
Many thanks for advise

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Welcome along, hope you enjoy your first outing and many more to come.
Don't be surprised if you forget to take something, we still do that now :)

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
:WelcomeFlag:
how exciting.....we use a watering can to keep things topped up.....we use a hose from time to time ...dpends how empty it is when we get to where we're going. Happy travels:D

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0