Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Quotes from the internet

NEW Forest-based conservationists are planning a cull of crows and magpies at an undisclosed site in Hampshire in a bid to save our dawn chorus. The trust will select a site to trap as many magpies and crows as possible and then kill them by wringing their necks or by shooting them.

Over 40 years these songbird species have fallen by more than 50 per cent. But during that period crow numbers are up 119 per cent and magpies by 98 per cent.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Magpies are beautiful birds extremely intelligent, they are predominantly meat eaters & are known to be a serious threat to song birds , it’s not that I don’t like them but it’s about controlling their numbers to protect
our song birds , people may say sparrow hawks kill birds BUT Sparrow hawks are thin on the ground while
there is an epidemic of magpies

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The ones we have around here wait until I have cleaned the conservatory roof ,then a bunch of them arrive and pull loads of lichen up off the tiled roof and it rolls down onto the conservatory roof .:xshout:

Scouse magpies!!!! ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I would be happy to see far less Magpies in our countryside, the same for Crows and in some places Jays.
There is a place for all predating birds but not in the numbers that are building yearly.
One CS we use its common to see the lower field almost covered in Crows and about a dozen Magpies!

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I shoot them along with crows, I get calls from farmers saying GET UP HERE NOW there are hundreds of crows and magpies causing havoc

They are a disgusting bird hence the previous post about a cull by the national al forest conservation they obviously know the issues they cause, there numbers need to be kept under control

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I dislike them intensely, every year at nesting season they raid the nests of sparrows, blackbirds, thrushes and wrens in my garden eating the eggs and if any nests get missed and chicks are born they eat them as well. Cats are a menace but they don't do so much destruction to our feathered friends as these flying rats do. Oh and that goes for grey squirrels as well they do exactly the same. I know it's nature but I don't have to like it..

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
They are handsome birds, I live central London and the amount of magpies and crows is unbelievable.
We have loads of grey squirrels and all three often can be seen arguing , fighting each other or chasing each other away. They all feed from the bins and love bin collection day as they rip into the black bags.
A few years ago we had a black birds nest in the bay tree on the front step. Once the chicks fledged , they were all killed and eaten by crows.
It's like seagulls , they have moved into towns for the discarded KFC etc. And because life is easier.
I suppose they do need to be managed .
The green parakeets see them off though .

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
I love magpies. Intelligent birds who are adept at earning a living, and they do it very well indeed. If small birds are abundant, they will take them readily, but if not they will seek other food sources...it's just the way that nature works. You have to look beyond your heart and look and understand how nature works. I like all the Corvids - I even see a Jay once take a Blue Tit in mid air into it's claws. Never ever seen that before, and will probably never see it again in my lifetime, luckily I was with someone who also witnessed it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
3 or 4 Magpies in our garden or the field beside us not noticed any problems. Still have Blue tits, Great tits, sparrows, wren, robins about & nightingales.
Must admit I wasn't aware of their bad rep always think of them as pretty birds.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
3 or 4 Magpies in our garden or the field beside us not noticed any problems. Still have Blue tits, Great tits, sparrows, wren, robins about & nightingales.
Must admit I wasn't aware of their bad rep always think of them as pretty birds.

Nightingales...Lucky you. (y)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
These were in spain, loverly looking birds.
814B4A29-66F7-4E08-BBC8-8B7E0E0E2BBC.jpeg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
How timely is that.. Just walked around campsite and a magpie flew down and grabbed/killed a wagtail. :(

I understand Nature for food, but to kill unnecessarily... That is human prerogative sadly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back