Magpies, your thoughts (1 Viewer)

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I was wondering what people’s opinion of magpies are ?

do you like them / tolerate them / shoot them or trap them

being in the countryside, the locals here use Larson traps the catch and kill them

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We’ve seen lots of Iberian Magpies on our travels in the last few weeks. Beautiful birds, love them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I like them. On two occasions at home I have seen multiple magpies & cats standing about as though chatting.
One of my dogs once killed one of 4 that were around our house. The other 3 waited patiently & attacked her every time she appeared for over 2 days .

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
If it wasn't for the surfeit of magpies4 in the locale we would have lots of birds in our garden and sourding fields.

What do you do????????

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
We get a few in the garden now and again but when I go over to the local playing fields about half a mile away with the dogs I've often seen over 30 on there.
When I was a kid you didn't seem to see any.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
On the farm the SiL , just before the start of the nesting season, shot every Magpie, Crow and Jackdaw he could see, because they would attack the cattle causing holes the size of the palm of your hand in their backs. Young Calves too.
The numbers of small birds and song birds he had around the place was unbelievable in the summer and autumn.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If there wasn’t any around at least my missis wouldn’t keep saluting single ones Oh Please! ??
At least she doesn't salute, say, 'Good morning Mr Magpie.'... and then spit over her shoulder, hopefully in the right direction. :(

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When I lived at Shap there were no Magpies - I'd never seen one until we moved to Kendal in '63. There were two in the garden of my parents new house when we moved in. I like any member of the crow family. I love to see the little gang of young Jackdaws (my favourite) that appear after breeding season each year. I don't understand how anyone can dislike any wild animal - they all need to eat. Even the ones higher up the pecking order. We were all admiring the pictures of young Kestrels a few days ago - they do a lot more 'damage' than either Magpies or Cats. As for Sparrow Hawks - they eat their prey alive. The local cats see off a few small birds - the pair of Sparrow Hawks emptied our garden of songbirds (and Wood Pigeons) for more than two years. Nature is what it is.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
On the farm the SiL , just before the start of the nesting season, shot every Magpie, Crow and Jackdaw he could see, because they would attack the cattle causing holes the size of the palm of your hand in their backs. Young Calves too.
The numbers of small birds and song birds he had around the place was unbelievable in the summer and autumn.
Similar round here at lambing time. Perfectly natural when you consider the damage they can do to a farm.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I was wondering what people’s opinion of magpies are ?

do you like them / tolerate them / shoot them or trap them

being in the countryside, the locals here use Larson traps the catch and kill them

I don't like them. They kill for the sake of it.. biting heads off.. my baby white doves and baby lop eared rabbits. They attacked one of my friends when we were little.. Landed on her head, and leaned forward pecking her face. Her mum grabbed it but it held onto my friend's hair for dear life. :(

I rescued one not long ago. Then it bit me before it flew off. Huh.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
One for sorrow
two for joy
three for a girl
four for a boy
five for silver
six for gold
seven for a secret never to be told

and these 3

5759AACA-C929-4931-9008-6ABBC52AB57B.jpeg

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Beautiful colours but a bit destructive.

Very successful bird though - I suspect they will always be around.

In our local nature reserve the local Sparrowhawk and a wild cat are for more destructive.

CZ6P0118.jpg

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Personally....shoot them!
A Pest and total disregard for anything else. Kill the young of many a smaller bird ( Or even larger if the nest is left open. )

Then again......Who are we to say wether we should or should not do anything about them? We cannot control ourselves! Look at todays news!

Kev

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Similar round here at lambing time. Perfectly natural when you consider the damage they can do to a farm.
its amazing how many young lamb have to be put down because birds have pecked the eyes of young lamb.
i worked in a local slaughter house so saw lots of the damage.
we can protect birds and kill other animals etc etc . it really is a sort of strange funny world we live in.
unfortunately the press etc dont seem to ever know the full truth in many things and unfortunately many folk never find the whole truth either.
it shocked me in the begining how many young lamb we had to kill because they couldnt see .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'd shoot em, but she won't let me.
Just like the pheasant that was eating my newly sown grass seed, so I shot the bugger at the base of its tail. (.22 air rifle)
Never seen a pheasant run as fast as that one did.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Where we live out on Salisbury Plain there are large flocks of Magpies and I believe they do need culling, however we have a bird ringer that does regular netting in the area and this year there has been really good numbers of small birds recorded so it seems that although the Magpies and Crows take some they are doing well on the chalk grassland. A good hard winter will kill off a few magpies and predators.
Nature seems to balance its books on its own.?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Good looking and intelligent birds but with evil intentions.

They will search out nests of other birds and rob them of the chicks while the parents look on helplessly.
Very sad when you hear the plaintiff cries of a blackbird who’s nest has just been raided.
They get short shrift in our garden.

Richard.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
its amazing how many young lamb have to be put down because birds have pecked the eyes of young lamb.
i worked in a local slaughter house so saw lots of the damage.
we can protect birds and kill other animals etc etc . it really is a sort of strange funny world we live in.
unfortunately the press etc dont seem to ever know the full truth in many things and unfortunately many folk never find the whole truth either.
it shocked me in the begining how many young lamb we had to kill because they couldnt see .
I've seen it first hand in the fields. As bad as a dog-worried ewe with its intestines hanging out. I have no problem with people protecting their animals whether pets or livestock. I object to any cruelty for its own sake and our projecting our moral values onto wild animals. I've shot a fox that was trying to attack my sitting peahen. I've shot a collie that was taking lambs. I love dogs and detest fox-hunting.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Good looking and intelligent birds but with evil intentions.

They will search out nests of other birds and rob them of the chicks while the parents look on helplessly.
Very sad when you hear the plaintiff cries of a blackbird who’s nest has just been raided.
They get short shrift in our garden.

Richard.
Blackbirds can be just as bad. One near here killed all the young wrens in a nest. We don’t get magpies here. We did get lots of ravens until the seagulls drove them away!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
They have their place. Killing magpies because they attack other animals is a bit like killing lions because they kill antelopes.

Well, sort of.. But the lion then eats the antelope doesn't just bite it's head off. :(

OP
OP
Scotch mist
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Blackbirds can be just as bad. One near here killed all the young wrens in a nest. We don’t get magpies here. We did get lots of ravens until the seagulls drove them away!

do you mean a bird that is black rather than a black bird , in all my life I have never heard of a black bird eating another bird , I had a quick look on the internet & could not find any instance of this

Most likely a jackdaw, the magpies cousin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back