Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
What i would like some advice on is, where can i buy a magnet that picks up brass.On removing the toilet in the R.V. one of the securing bolts dropped down (the black hole).After buying magnets of various shapes and sizes,i find that they do not pick up brass, which the bolt is. I managed to get it below the hole,tried sticky tape and everything,no good.Tried to coax it on to a flat piece of metal,to lift it up,i coughed,the torch shot out of my mouth like a missile,hit the hand i was holding the coaxing stick in,and the bolt disappeared again,so i need a magnet that will pick up brass, any ideas? Thanks in anticipation.:Sad::cry:

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi try a stick with a lump off grease on to pick it out . we used this on tankers if we dropped the pot key when we used to top load:Doh:

RAY

OP
OP
martyn

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Cheers Ray, thats no good now, it's disappeared out of sight,i need a magnet to swing round in there.Think it might have to stay there :Smile:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Or you could try one of those gadgets that are supposed to help you pick a bolt out of the oil sump - a long flexible metal wire 'thingy' with a plunger at one end which operates a three legged 'grab' at the other end. Used to be able to pick them up quite cheaply at most motor spares stockists.

OP
OP
martyn

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Thanks Dick, but i can't even see the bolt now,could be anywhere !!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
For cryin' out loud Martyn..............just get a new flippin' bolt :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

What make/model is your loo?

OP
OP
martyn

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Hiya Champ,it's not the bolt i'm worried about.It's what might happen if things get clogged up down there,you know what i mean? I know you provide a fantastic service, what size are your hands?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hiya Champ,it's not the bolt i'm worried about.It's what might happen if things get clogged up down there,you know what i mean? I know you provide a fantastic service, what size are your hands?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Very small but I aint offering to get 'em dirty :ROFLMAO:

I doubt it'll clog anything.....leave nature to take its course and then don your marigolds and do what you do when the dog swallows your front door key :winky: Wouldn't advise using a macerator though :winky: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
martyn

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Ain't got a dog or a macerator,think i'll let wifey sort this one out.She was the one that broke the bog in the first place.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Martyn
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but magnets only pick up ferrous metals and your brass bolt is non ferrous so no chance I'm afraid. The lump of grease on the end of a piece of wire is a good trick and been used succesfully many times, make sure its a really thick black grease.

OP
OP
martyn

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Thanks Ror,I think i'll just leave it where it is,if i get any problems i'll send SWMBO down the bilges to investigate.:thumb:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Do you think it will pass through - in the natural way of thinking? :Eeek:

Shouldn't try the macerator for a while, if I was you. :whatthe:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
There is of course another way..........the James Herriot approach:

Remove the sewer valve from the outside of the tank..........remove your shirt........soap your arm up to the shoulder............lie on the ground and shove your arm through the hole and into the black tank ::bigsmile:

Always worked on the telly :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
martyn

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Yeah right, it's about 8ft. from the valve to the tank,do you think they will give me an arm extension,in hospital next week,if i ask them nicely?:winky::ROFLMAO:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Tell 'em you're from Eastern Europe and here on a work visa......they'll do ANYTHING for you :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
You could wait till someone invents a brass magnet Martyn or develop one yourself, think of all the dosh you could earn from your invention and Ror could market it for you with his connections:winky::roflmto::roflmto:

You'd really be worth a lot of BRA$$ then:roflmto:

OP
OP
martyn

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp