Free Member
Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
Only picked up our motorhome last Friday and we are busily trying to get everything ready for our 'maiden voyage', probably sometime next week.

We have been provided with some excellent information from the motorhome dealer regarding the obvious items we will need prior to our first trip, but it's the not so obvious things which we are unsure of. So hopefully, you can help us out here?

For example. Our motorhome has an over-cab bed but as we are both around six feet tall, we intend using the make up rear lounge bed as this will be far more roomy. However, we were unsure as to whether it's normal to just lay sheets directly onto the cushions, or are there more hygienic and comfortable solutions?

Thanks for your help.

Steve:thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Only picked up our motorhome last Friday and we are busily trying to get everything ready for our 'maiden voyage', probably sometime next week.

We have been provided with some excellent information from the motorhome dealer regarding the obvious items we will need prior to our first trip, but it's the not so obvious things which we are unsure of. So hopefully, you can help us out here?

For example. Our motorhome has an over-cab bed but as we are both around six feet tall, we intend using the make up rear lounge bed as this will be far more roomy. However, we were unsure as to whether it's normal to just lay sheets directly onto the cushions, or are there more hygienic and comfortable solutions?

Thanks for your help.

Steve:thumb:
We put the matteres off the top bunks on the bottom one, twice the thickness then:Smile:
If we are on our own we just leave it made up and sit on it in the day

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
That thought also occurred to me on my first night!. We settled on two cheap mattress toppers that go directly onto the cushions. We are currently using sleeping bags to sleep in. The topper acts as a barrier between the bag and the cushion. My main concern was prolonged sleeping directly on the cushions would cause wear.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We also use a foam mattress topper.
Then a kingsize fleecy underblanket and a quilt..

You may also find that turning the cushions over will give a flatter base and avoid wear on fabric... At first it will be trail and error trying the base cushions in different positions..

Upvote 0

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
We used to turn ours over in the caravan but now in the MH if we did this we would be sleeping on the plywood base of the slide out cushion..... I have removed this sliding mechanism as we use our beds as singles. Also this enables us to put fitted sheets over the seat cushions. Between the cushion and seat goes a foam camping mat so we get a smooth surface and less condensation transmission. We can now access the under bed storage with ease without breaking our backs too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve304

Steve304

Free Member
Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your kind replies. It's good to know that our initial thoughts and plans were correct, but there's nothing like seeking advice from fellow motorhomers who have gone through exactly the same issues.

Steve :Smile:

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We use a thin matress topper & 2 duvets, 1 summer weight & 1 winterweight then we use them top or bottom depending on the temperature (only used winterweight on top so far this year :ROFLMAO:). Covers removable and washable.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We have a rear lounge which makes up into 2 single beds. We each use a double duvet folded in half - lie on the bottom half and cover yourself up with the top half. Much more flexible than a sleeping bag, loads cheaper than Duvalay and easy access to under seat lockers.

Upvote 0

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We removed the table that forms the bed base and all the cushions ( reduced a lot of weight).

I then made a base out of bed lats ( better ventilation ) then bought a full size memory foam mattress £130 ,

We use a fitted thermal cover on the mattress plus a sheet and a Duvet on top .

Result , more comfort , less weight and more storage space under the now fixed bed :thumb:

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
as a cheap alternative to the mattress topper you could use a duvet underneath - depends how comfortable your rear bed is as to whether an expensive mattress topper is the best alternative

Upvote 0

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
We asked this question of a neighbour of ours who have been motorhoming for 20 odd years and apparently they use a duvet on the bottom and one on top job done then just roll up and place in the overcab when not in use

Good luck and enjoy:thumb:

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
big double sleeping bag, x2 different duvets then you have all the alternative combination solutions you need.
have fun on your travels.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
It might be worth asking, have you actually tried the overcab bed? Our first thought was, "there's no way we'll be climbing up there to sleep in that!". Then, just as a matter of interest we gave it a go. We're both fairly tall but even stretching out we don't reach the bottom and it's such a lovely big bed that we've never considered using the downstairs ones. We can leave the bedding where it is, nothing to stow away and it's ready whenever we are.

Don't discount it without trying. :thumb:

Wyn
[/I]

Upvote 0
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
It might be worth asking, have you actually tried the overcab bed? Our first thought was, "there's no way we'll be climbing up there to sleep in that!". Then, just as a matter of interest we gave it a go. We're both fairly tall but even stretching out we don't reach the bottom and it's such a lovely big bed that we've never considered using the downstairs ones. We can leave the bedding where it is, nothing to stow away and it's ready whenever we are.

Don't discount it without trying. :thumb:

Wyn
[/I]

The pull down bed was one the motorhome features that got us hooked :)

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We also turn our cushions over. Thin duvet on the bottom, then a fitted mattress protector and then a fitted sheet followed by the top duvet. In the morning we fold the top duvet and then flip the four corners on the sheet etc and fold up. Making the bed then probably takes about 2-3 minutes.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
I agree pretty much with the above we use two duvets one under one over much easier and more comfy than sheets ,then if we want to we have the option of sleeping on the side bunks without the need to carry any more bedding we just use our overcab bed to store them :thumb: sorted

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back