Nov 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit LWB
Exp
10 years
Hi,

Actually I posted this earlier but on the wrong forum. Being a Newbie I didn't understand how things work so sorry for that.

Anyway, my first posting, so here goes.

I have a Ford Transit LWB window van which was until a couple of days ago a 15 seater bus run by a local coach / bus tour company. I want to convert it to a motorhome overtime but use the vehicle in the meantime.

Problem is I only have a B category driving license post 1997 which means I can't drive anything over a 9 seater (8 passengers + 1 driver). DVLA say that it can be reclassified as Private Light Goods (because its 3,500kg revenue weight so not overweight) if enough seats are taken out permanently and then re re classified as a motorhome, or whatever the proper V5 description is, when all the necessary (DVLA compliant) conversion works have been done. Just to make life more complicated, I want to go to France / Switzerland with my band over Christmas / New Year and I'm now told that there may be a problem with the French authorities in that they want a D category license even if DVLA here classify it as a PLG. Can that be right ? I thought the rules were supposed to be the same all over the EU ? (Don't get me started)

So I have two questions really.

1) is my cunning plan OK for me to drive it in the UK
2) please tell me that I'm wrong about the French authorities

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Can't help with your questions but :pink:

Last edited:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Welcome to FUN!

Sorry I can't help with any answers tho :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Welcome to the fun I'm sure there will be someone along soon who can inform you about licence etc meanwhile.Enjoy the fun and good luck with the project.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Can't help but I wouldn't trust the DVLA to do anything regarding reclassifying your van this side of Christmas.
Oh and
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hiya 'mad', welcome to the fun house!

Right, first things first, you are very unlikely to be able to meet the conversion criteria required by the DVLA to re-register it as a motorhome anytime soon ... just simply sticking in a bed, portable cooker, table and chairs won't work, so you need to read up what the minimum requirement is for that.

Just had a quick google and came up with this:

You may be able to get it reclassified as a van if all the seating is removed but that may have implications regarding insurance etc (not sure what you've got it insured as now!).

As for the French authorities, AFAIK if you licence is valid in the UK to drive the vehicle (once modified) then it should be accepted in mainland Europe too. Who told you about the 'French' rule?

OP
OP
M

Mad Motorhomer

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit LWB
Exp
10 years
MinxyGirl,

I think the French thing is nonsense as well because of EU rules. Just some local here who thinks he knows stuff but you have to check don't you ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back