Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Anyone here use Macs?

Pros and Cons.

Only ever used one and I struggled with the mouse, insane..

Thoughts?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Does that make ScotJim a--------------- McGeek:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Wonder what the Tartan looks like
Geo
Posted via Mobile Device

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
makes you think

hi, this is froghopper, well pammy you realy started something here, you may have read my reply last night, my little girl could hardly walk at first, o k now, but years ago we would be in parks, she also has mental problems, and people young and old would gently throw a ball to her, others saw her run towards their ball and let her kick it,, one time we were walking at the side of a sunday morn football match, adults, the ball was kicked out of play, she ran towards it, a huge chap ran over, went to take the ball off her, stopped, she kicked it on to the pitch about a foot, the others stood by,the ref blew his whistle and instead of a throw in, play went on, some waved, some smiled but non as much as her,, they were not playing for fun, the result mattered, you know they may never know the result they got that day, i do, but so does she, so is your story fact or not,, dosent matter, there are so many stories out there, we walked through a campsite in france, a group of teenagers wre having a kick around, almost the same thing, they passed her the ball, did mock tackles , we moved on, they went back to playing,, life and people are all different, but deep down,, not that much,,, dont mean to start a soggy story saga, but had to respond,, from her to them,,,, thanks
dont wait for your boat to come in,,,, swim out to meet it:thumb::Smile:::bigsmile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Don't get me wrong Macs are great but and it's a big but....you have to learn how to use them and most of your software probably won't work on a mac and they are expensive. :RollEyes:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
hi, this is froghopper, well pammy you realy started something here, you may have read my reply last night, my little girl could hardly walk at first, o k now, but years ago we would be in parks, she also has mental problems, and people young and old would gently throw a ball to her, others saw her run towards their ball and let her kick it,, one time we were walking at the side of a sunday morn football match, adults, the ball was kicked out of play, she ran towards it, a huge chap ran over, went to take the ball off her, stopped, she kicked it on to the pitch about a foot, the others stood by,the ref blew his whistle and instead of a throw in, play went on, some waved, some smiled but non as much as her,, they were not playing for fun, the result mattered, you know they may never know the result they got that day, i do, but so does she, so is your story fact or not,, dosent matter, there are so many stories out there, we walked through a campsite in france, a group of teenagers wre having a kick around, almost the same thing, they passed her the ball, did mock tackles , we moved on, they went back to playing,, life and people are all different, but deep down,, not that much,,, dont mean to start a soggy story saga, but had to respond,, from her to them,,,, thanks
dont wait for your boat to come in,,,, swim out to meet it:thumb::Smile:::bigsmile:

Wrong thread????:Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Theres me thinkin we were talking about raincoats, its a northern thing !! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

:roflmto:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
No, you have to be a geek to understand how to fix a PC - a Mac just works!

The mouse on a Mac works rather like Windoze. The old ones had just one button, new ones have at least two (although they are pressure-sensitive areas rather than buttons) and a trackball. See link.

Philip

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB112

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Does that make ScotJim a--------------- McGeek:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Wonder what the Tartan looks like
Geo
Posted via Mobile Device

ooooi I resemble that remark ... :roflmto:

There are hundreds of reasons why Macs are better than PCs - they're more reliable and more creative for a start. We've put together a definitive list of eight reasons as to why your next computer should be a Mac not a PC.

Read more here

Link Removed

However, like for like they are at least double the price of a PC .. how fat is your wallet ?

I believe that Apple win because they build the machines, the operating system and most of the software ..it all works together beautifully ..
The software supplied with a new machine is fully integrated and is ample for most users, the old argument that Macs couldn't communicate with or use Windoze software is a red herring .. the new Intel Macs can run any Windoze software.. I have the old G4 processor and the only piece of software I miss is Microsoft Autroute ,

My present Mac is a 17" G4 Powerbook, now 5 years old, .. but still doing all I need and has never broken down.. to replace it with the new model would cost over £2k..

Jan has a 14" G4 iBook, now 6 years old and ditto above, about £1k to replace..

Would I buy another ... hmm .. that's very hard to say, for £500 I could get a pretty decent spec PC .. and all the fun of running updates, looking for spyware, viruses etc etc ..

I also have a 12" Sony VGN TZ21WN .. running Vista business which I use when travelling ..

Bottom line, if you enjoy using a lap top and despise all the hassle of Windoze and can afford one... go for it

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I use a MacBook Pro 13in. I used to have a Toshiba laptop which cost the same amount of money. I wanted to create DVDs of my HD movies I had created over the last year. The Toshiba, even though quite a powerful one did not have enough power. I took my SD card from one of my trips to PC World and put it in a Mac (with their permission). The card was recognised as from a Panasonic video camera and IMovie was launched. To cut a long story short I bought one through the Apple Centre and have done all I wanted to. From reading the video in, to creating a movie and then exporting it to a program which creates a DVD which I can play. All of the slides added and the music was all care of the inbuilt Apple software. I have not had to buy any extra software at all. I use OpenOffice III for all letters and spreadsheet work. It does not seem to break down and I would replace it in the future with the same again.
As a sideline I am a volunteer teaching senior citizens computer studies on, guess what, pc's. I find the software used and the problems with the pc's themselves very frustrating. Apple Macs are best if you don't mind the extra initial costs, IMHO.
John

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
JohnH and Scotjimland make a good point regarding cost. If you want a cheap computer, then a Mac is probably not for you. However, if true value is taken into account, then in my view, their price compares well. I have had my 15" MacBook Pro for three years and expect to keep it for quite a while yet. I wanted a high-spec machine for business and personal use (presentations, spreadsheets, graphics-heavy documents, image editing etc.) and compared the Mac with equivalent specifications from HP and Dell. Until that point, I had always used PCs. Guess what? At just under £1,500 the Mac was the cheapest option.

Regarding software costs, a copy of MS Office is a similar price whether for Mac or PC (Open Office was not quite up to it for my business use). Many of the things one can get free for a PC are not necessary for a Mac as there is a high degree of functionality in the standard software provided.

Then there is the 'Ahhh' factor. Although not a good reason in itself to buy a Mac, it is always satisfying when visiting a client to hear the words "I wish we could have laptops like that!". (The power of a great brand built on a great product.)

Philip

LazyRover

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
Researching
The thing most often quoted against the MAC is that they are expensive. However, when you start to price like for like component machines, there doesn't seems to be much difference. The "trouble" is that Apple have elected not to enter the lower end of the market.

I use two machines, both laptops, an old HP Compaq nx5110 (XP SP3) and a MacBookPro.(10.6). I use the MBP as my main machine and the HP as my travel and household surfing machine. (For some reason better wifi with the HP than the MBP).

It took me a day or two to get familiar with the MAC OS but I now switch quite easily switch between the two operating systems.

I was happy enough using Windoze from 3.0 till XP. It was all the stuff that I was hearing about Vista that made me decide to switch to MACs. My step father started computing a few weeks ago (aged 97) and bought an Acer with Vista which we upgraded to Windoze 7. I have to support him from time to time:Smile:. I am not enamoured of Windoze7.

I now much prefer the OSX operating system. I find it much easier to use and much more intuitive. As to software, I have managed to source replacements for those programs that I used to run under windoze. For the couple that I hadn't managed to source I installed Parallels 4 on the MAC thus allowing me to run windoze XP in a virtual machine (at the same time as running osx).

I doubt that I will ever go back to buying machines with windoze installed.

As to "mouses", I rarely use one nowadays, I prefer to use a tablet and pen:Smile:

The ONLY thing that I don't like about OSX is that I can't double-click the title bar to maximize the window.:Smile:

Nowadays, it all comes down to the operating systems as the machines use basically the same components.

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Quote Lazy Rover: "The ONLY thing that I don't like about OSX is that I can't double-click the title bar to maximize the window."

No, but you can double-click to minimize it.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
It has to be a personal decision - what will you be doing with the computer?

Playing games? - get a PC
Being a slave to Microsoft? - get a PC
Want to struggle with networking? get a PC
Doing some serious business stuff? get a mac
Want an easy life? - get a Mac

Having said that, I use both ::bigsmile: I have a PC at work and a small PC lappy at home (which I hardly use).

My main computer at home now is my 13" MacBook Pro :thumb: This has 4Gb of ram and happily multi-tasks photo editing, video editing, web browsing, boring office stuff and plays games. I also have Windows XP running happily on the Mac with VMWare Fusion and, using Leopard's multi desktop function, switching between systems and sharing data is a breeze.

I can't imagine ever going back to a PC at home and I'm saving up to buy a nice new iMac :roflmto:

LazyRover

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
Researching
Quote Lazy Rover: "The ONLY thing that I don't like about OSX is that I can't double-click the title bar to maximize the window."

No, but you can double-click to minimize it.

Is there a smilie that equates to a Jeremy Paxman "Yeeeeeesssssss":Smile::Smile::Smile:

J

JanB

Deleted User
I changed to a Macbook 2 1/2 years ago after being a PC user since early DOS days - just wish I had done it years before. Got to be the easiest bit of kit to use, there is no "learning" you just turn it on and do what you want to with it. I don't use a mouse finding the track pad just as intuitive - OK i missed "right click" as first but you have "ctrl tap" instead just as good. As others have said it might not be as cheap as a PC at first look but you really do get what you pay for and Macs come bundled with quite a bit of stuff. Then of course there is the quality of the screen - calibrated it when I first got it, never had to do it since (and I do check!!!).

My advice is if you can afford it go for the Mac.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
OK i missed "right click" as first but you have "ctrl tap" instead just as good.

If your MacBook is just 2 1/2 years old, you should be able to set the track-pad to give you 'right-click' if you tap two fingers on it instead of one.
Go to System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>Trackpad then tick the box next to "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click".

Hope this helps.

Philip

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
After 20 years of using PCs I changed to Macs 10 months ago. I have lusted over the Imac for years. You can now pick up an Imac from ebay for £500 that will do anything anyone here wants it to do.

Even jessica, aged just over 4 has her own Mac, an emac. Its probably 10 years old, cost us £80 from ebay a few weeks ago, has amazing graphics and flies through the net. It has come with photoshop, works etc etc

jessontheemac.jpg

It does not take long to get used to the more user friendly macs and once you have there is nothing else to match :Smile::Smile:

stew

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
After 20 years of using PCs I changed to Macs 10 months ago. I have lusted over the Imac for years.

stew

Hi Stew

yes, I recall you lusting over my Powerbook.. :roflmto:

wow... Jessica has really grown since we last saw you in Jan 07 . nice to see her on a Mac.. Charlotte also has her own iBook ..

jim

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l have had a Macbook for 3 years now, and its just great. Took a little getting used to, but boy it was worth it! It works, very well, its reliable, and it does everything l ever need to do. Would l buy another? Too right.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Macs v PCs = Hondas v Kipors !!!

Each have their fans, each provoke arguments... I have to use a Mac at work and choose to use a PC privately (and to run my Empire)

Thank goodness for New Year's Resolutions...

JJ

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I don't recognise some of the complaints made against PC's.

Networking, never had any trouble, just fire it up, put in the net password, and away it goes.

Virus's at the moment we have 9 PC's spread around the shops and home, none of them have ever had a Virus, in 30 years of playing with PC's I have never had a virus.

Reliability, in the last 3 years 1 harddisk, unlike a MAC, a trip to PC world and it was running again by dinnertime.

They all run XP and AVG free with auto updates so no hassel.

Having used my daughters MAC, (which crashes occassional :Eeek: and thats the truth) I can honestly say that I would be happy with either, to me neither machine is superior to the other. But MAC users do seem to enjoy rubbishing PC's, possibly because they feel they belong to an elite group, and it makes them feel superior.

Its always been beyond me how people can get worked up over a bit of plastic.

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Macs v PCs = Hondas v Kipors !!!

JJ

You do the Kipor a disservice , at least it does what it says on the tin... albeit louder :roflmto:

PCs are like women...
They are expensive, need constant upgrading and maintenance, cause major headaches over minor problems, refuse to be specific about problems, and crash every night. Still your life would never be complete without one.

and unlike women, Macs ... just do as they are told without drama ... :winky:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hmmmm...

Interesting views Jim!

I guess some people get on better with women than others.

I guess some people hang out with women who are not expensive or in need of constant up-grading nor cause major headaches about minor problems and are specific to a fault.

Just as I guess some people have Macs that work better than the one I use.

JJ

PS. Never heard it called "crashing" before...

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
You do the Kipor a disservice , at least it does what it says on the tin... albeit louder :roflmto:

PCs are like women...
They are expensive, need constant upgrading and maintenance, cause major headaches over minor problems, refuse to be specific about problems, and crash every night. Still your life would never be complete without one.

and unlike women, Macs ... just do as they are told without drama ... :winky:

Been workng with PC's for nigh on 20 years and don't recognise any of that. Problems with PC's is usually down to the owner "playing" with something like device manager when they don't know what they are doing. I would guess the same thing can happen with Mac's. As I say Mac's are great but for me way overpriced. For £2000 I can buy a super fast laptop built like the proverbial outhouse which would last for years. At work we had ancient PC's which never failed because you could not interfere with them. My last lappie was a Toshiba which I had for 3 years my daughter and her 3 kids have had it for 2 years now. It's still as good as new and is still a very fast machine. So PC's can last a long time as well as Macs :Smile:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
My Opinion,
Used pc's for business and pleasure since the early days, you really have to find your way around them to keep them running at close to optimum.
Constant maintenance is essential and what with the constant barage of security updates and patches you will find your pc will slowly but surely start to clog up.
I take it you have guessed that I am now a "Geek" don't think so, just prefer to switch on and do what I want to do without the constant warnings from microsoft to do this and that.
As for software most applications are now available for Mac but if not there are programmes available which allow you to run pc software on a Mac.
Horses for courses but reckon I am on a winner with Mac.
:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back