Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
I 've been wondering if I need one.
So tell me what you think , what are benefits of having one, do you guys use them all the time or part time ie just when you can't get near to a dump
what would I need to have as well if I bought one

All suggestions gratefully recieved :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Tony

A lot depends on where you are, for nearly eight months in France I never used mine, always found a dump point to drive over but now on a CL with a traditional elsan point it is indispensable..

I have 30 mts of 1" clear nylon reinforced plastic hose which means you can see what is happening, or not as the case may be.. :roflmto:.. some folk prefer a flat hose.. mine pumps this distance no problem.

It's a good plan to have at least a half tank of grey for flushing the hose out, you can also let the grey water back - fill the black tank to aid flushing. :thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hiya Tony

I wouldn't be without mine it's the first thing going into the next RV.

I use layflat hose I have 3 varying lengths that add up to about 150 ft and some very good hose connectors (a must)

I always pump a bit of grey through first to open up the hose, then black, then finish with grey to clean the hoses.

I also have a wastemaster rollalong which I found invaluable in Spain. To fill this I have a short piece of corrugated hose about 18" which fits the macerator with same type hose clips, which I use to fill the wastemaster. Easy way of dumping and no need to move 35ft of RV.

Look at mine next time we meet if you want.:thumb:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We have both a macerator with lots of 1" flexihose, and lots of 3" hose - wouldn't be without either. We have enough room in our "wet" locker for all of this. The 3" is fine for when the discharge point is on the level or downhill, and the macerator is good for where there's a bit of uphill or it's a long distance to pump.

We also have a rollalong, but have never used it - we've loaned it to others (tuggers) on the site here, though, so it's convenient to have around.

Do have both, it's definitely worth it!::bigsmile:

Bob

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
In my opinion
with a macerator, a wheely dump tank, a short screw-on hose to join them and as Forestboy said, several hose sections to join (I use lay-flat) you will not need to carry long lengths of 3" hose,and should be able to dump in most places.
My cap on the main 3" outlet has a small male thread to screw a small hose on,(from Linda) with this I can easily drain the grey tanks (into a mole-hole where we normally park) This same fitting fits my wheely tank, so I take it of the main drain, fit my Flojet and use the end cap to connect the hose to wheely tank, take off the vent cap and start the macerator, for me, this is quite easy, clean and quick.
Nigel & Pamala

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Yep, we go along with all of that -

we have 2 lengths (of 20ft) of 3" dump hose plus a couple of good connectors.
We have the macerator with 50ft of rigid 1" piping - takes up a lot of room but doesn't need so much effort to pump through as the lay-flat hose.
We have 5 lengths of standard 7ft 6in long by 1" household white plastic drainage pipes with various joints
and finally we have a standard Caravan Wastemaster roller truck for the site where there is no other option.

Not the best of jobs to complete on a hot sticky day - so have ALL the necessary tools for the job.

The only lesson that I learned from my "Georgetown" days is to make sure that the macerator is mounted BELOW the main waste outlet gate - if you mount it above the gate, the macerator has to spend effort in sucking the sludge up to the pump before macerating and disposal - and will not pump the resulting soup quite so far down the line. Mount the macerator below the gate and every ounce of it's effort is spent in macerating and disposal.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Yupp Tony ow your a big boy you'll need it, your not so nimble as the Winnie

Last edited:

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
I was wondering why I'd bought a mascerator. Camping in UK and a little in France had been no probs, but now in Spain, boy am I glad I have one! The only dump point on the camp is too far away, and the pitches are so soft I dare not attempt to drive off just to lose water. Unfortunately, I don't have a waste tote (but believe me it's on the shopping list!) and so have had to borrow one from RayV8 over here and dump using the mascerator into the tote before taking a walk with it.

(In my opinion) Get one Tony. Decent bore hose too - and reliable couplings (Hose fittings). You won't regret it when you need it!

Papa

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Two bits from me
1. buy the tried and tested manufacturer, not the cheapest but by far the best as all the fittings are available, I have seen one or two cheaper ones about with unknown fitting sizes and methods
2.the best hose by far is 1" corrogated pond hose, it rolls up easy, wont kink and most important is smooth on the inside despite a corrogated exterior

As for the flat hose Ive not seen one work yet and reserve judgment, the one I tried was firmly stuck to gether, and showed no sign of opening even with hot water:Doh:
A resounding must have bit of kit:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Tony,

dont forget you need one of these as well just in case....:winky:

hazsuit.jpg

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
:thumb:Hi Tony

Same here as a lot of others I have a Macerater and a Fiama waste carrier, to save carrying it in a locker adapted the spare space in the rear engine compartment to store it.

See here

Link Removed

Had to move the fuel filter to where it is now bottom right

wastecarrier022.jpg

Finished job:thumb:

wastecarrier043.jpg

Regards Pat

OP
OP
Tony Santara

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
:thumb:Hi Tony

Same here as a lot of others I have a Macerater and a Fiama waste carrier, to save carrying it in a locker adapted the spare space in the rear engine compartment to store it.

See here

Link Removed

Had to move the fuel filter to where it is now bottom right

wastecarrier022.jpg

Finished job:thumb:

wastecarrier043.jpg

Regards Pat

Pat....nice bit of modifying I'll see what I can come up with :thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I will admit that the first 3-4ft from the macerator would be best in corr. hose as the flat hose tends to kink as it leaves the macerator!!!!!!!
Nigel & Pamala

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
i also use pond hose for the first two feet or so to prevent kinking. but beware, it can (and does) split. i always pump a little grey water first to test the system. just in case.

des

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi if your going to use a macerator be very careful what the women put down the toilet, anything but toilet paper and your going to be in the s**t.

As I found out. :cry: only facial wipes but they jammed it, and blew its internal fuse.

I use layflat, and as has been said it kinks easily where it comes out of the pump, hadn't thought of using a short length of corrugated, good idea think I will get some.

Olley

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
(Re-posted; The original was lost with yesterday's database problem).

After initially using a macerator in a "set up/take down" mode, I installed it semi-permanently in the service bay. I used a short length of 3" sewer hose to connect the macerator to the sewer connection on the coach. (This happened to be a short hose with adapters already on, but you could use any short length of hose and attach your own female bayonnet adapters.)

Permanently attached to the output of the macerator is a 50 foot length of garden hose that's coiled up in an adjacent bay (I didn't have the garden hose attached when I took the photo).

In addition to the occasional "distant" campground sewer, I'm able to dump any residual in the tanks by using a sewer cleanout connection at the house when we get home from a trip. This also allows me to sanitize and lush the fresh water system before leaving on a trip.

I still have a hose for gravity dump or sewer hookup at a campground. I use two 10 foot lengths of semi-rigid Rhino sewer hose, each of which concertinas to about 18" for storage. To use the gravity dump, I merely remove one end of the red hose and attach the Rhino hose.

Not in the photo is the wiring and switch for the macerator. I ran a couple of heavy wires from the house (aka leisure) batteries to power the macerator. Please ignore the printed labels in the photo; They're merely OEM labels for a couple of connections in the bay.

Can't recall what the other (lost) questions were.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back