Macbook Pro (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Just lost all my contact list off my 17" MacBook Pro. Anyone know how I can restore?

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning šŸ˜Š
Sign into your icloud and I believe you can restore them from there.

1. Sign in to iCloud.com.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Scroll down and under Advanced, click Restore Contacts or Restore Bookmarks.
  4. Click Restore next to the date before you deleted the content.
  5. Click Restore again to confirm.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Don't have iCloud, never used it. Probably didn't want to share my contacts with an alias computer to use their emails and addresses etc for profit or gain.
Thanks for emailing me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Don't have iCloud, never used it. Probably didn't want to share my contacts with an alias computer to use their emails and addresses etc for profit or gain.
Thanks for emailing me
In that case, unless you backed them up some other way, you are probably stuffed. I know my wife's ipad and iphone only back up their data automatically to the icloud and I guess an Apple Mac would be the same. The backup would be encrypted and couldn't be accessed by anybody else. Not a great lover of Apple products, being a PC and Android fan, but the one good thing about them is that the enclosed and restricted eco system they use is usually very secure.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
If you have another Apple product you can transfer data from that.

I always ring Apple support they always solve my problems and my Mac is 9 years old

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Thanks for emailing me
Go to the bottom of the screen and click on system preferences,a screen will pop up with iCloud on.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Go to the bottom of the screen and click on system preferences,a screen will pop up with iCloud on.
Its of no use if you are not using icloud! If he has not used it....not even on another piece of tech....you are stuffed `as peter10 has quoted. You can if you pay for it....retrieve anything on the HD
Just depends on what its worth to you?

Kev

OP
OP

Deleted User
Her in doors, misplaces regularly, but in 30 years never lost it.

Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Must admit my wife uses a paper diary and contact address book.

I prefer digital as all contacts and diary entries are available across my two Macs, two iPads, iPhone, Apple Watch and online from iCloud!

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I work on the principle that my contact list is utterly useless and boring to anyone other than me ... so no problem with sharing it with a cloud server. Unless you plan to operate behind complex systems to hide your ID online, Apple is no worse a place to share a list of email addresses

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I canā€™t see how data in cloud storage can be hacked remotely unless itā€™s via the userā€™s own host device or the account name & password were available.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I canā€™t see how data in cloud storage can be hacked remotely unless itā€™s via the userā€™s own host device or the account name & password were available.
Exactly ...and if you don't believe in account names and passwords, then you're offline everywhere these days.

Be interesting when they want to implant a chip under your skin, in order to access stuff though......šŸ˜²

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
You might like to try this:
Open Contacts. Enter Time Machine. Go back in time to find your good data. Select what you want to restore. Click Restore button.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks Kiwi, checked the time machine, last backed up was last November, and have no idea how it was done even then.
I was useless at languages and computers are another language to me. I us it as a typewriter, and for emails mostly. When I remove a USB or disc, Mac says 'naughty naughty, didn't eject correctly'. But gives no clue as to how to eject safely.
But have bought on eBay several hundred, and wish I could sell, but have problems with a digital camera, I take a picture, but when down loaded appears as a video, which is no good for eBay. It doesn't matter what camera setting I use. Always stores as a video.The camera a Linux, is a year old.
KEVENH, Just because YOU cannot see it, don't mean it's not happened or happening. Millions of P.C's have been hacked, and all users thought they were safe.
Thanks everyone, just wish I was born in era that used computers instead of an ink well on the desk, and the ink monitor always had blue fingers.LOL
That was the days you're work was marked by the number of blots obliterated your writing.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
KEVENH, Just because YOU cannot see it, don't mean it's not happened or happening. Millions of P.C's have been hacked, and all users thought they were safe.
:eek: Well, we were discussing cloud security & that is secure except for the same weak links as a user's computer would have.
You should check data in transit is encrypted. I think all of the main players do that: Microsoft, Dropbox, apple & google, etc.

EDIT: I don't have a Mac but try dragging the desktop icon of your USB stick to the waste bin when you're thinking of unplugging it

OP
OP

Deleted User
No, on balance reading replies I should have trusted the cloud, for minor stuff. I now wish had never heard of apple and the MacBook, I got on real well with a desktop PC. But at over Ā£2000 am not quite ready to dump it. As mentioned I use a pc as a typewriter and internet, not a lot of success with managing photos. My main hobby is genealogy using Family Tree Maker, and have some 11,000 names. Doing trees for family and friends. It's a bit like a Jig-Saw, it's not complete until you have exhausted every avenue of research.
P.s. The 1 country have always had a yearning for is NZ, when I was kid I used to walk a neighbours dog, and her sister lived in NZ and she gave me a calendar with the photos, soft sell, but a seed was sown.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
No, on balance reading replies I should have trusted the cloud, for minor stuff. I now wish had never heard of apple and the MacBook, I got on real well with a desktop PC. But at over Ā£2000 am not quite ready to dump it. As mentioned I use a pc as a typewriter and internet, not a lot of success with managing photos. My main hobby is genealogy using Family Tree Maker, and have some 11,000 names. Doing trees for family and friends. It's a bit like a Jig-Saw, it's not complete until you have exhausted every avenue of research.
P.s. The 1 country have always had a yearning for is NZ, when I was kid I used to walk a neighbours dog, and her sister lived in NZ and she gave me a calendar with the photos, soft sell, but a seed was sown.
Switching computer types is hard.
I've been PC based since the 80s and switching to a Mac would mean re-learning so many keyboard shortcuts as well as the new operating system.
I have had to use a Mac occasionally to assist customers - so just enough exposure to know I don't want a Mac :)

NZ is great. 2004 the wife & I toured the North Island in a hired MH. Quiet roads, great scenery - and local wine.
We did have trouble buying eggs cos they call them eeegz but otherwise the NZ-ers are also great (y)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just curious but what did you do to delete your contact data ?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Thanks Kiwi, checked the time machine, last backed up was last November, and have no idea how it was done even then.
I was useless at languages and computers are another language to me. I us it as a typewriter, and for emails mostly. When I remove a USB or disc, Mac says 'naughty naughty, didn't eject correctly'. But gives no clue as to how to eject safely.
But have bought on eBay several hundred, and wish I could sell, but have problems with a digital camera, I take a picture, but when down loaded appears as a video, which is no good for eBay. It doesn't matter what camera setting I use. Always stores as a video.The camera a Linux, is a year old.
Thanks everyone, just wish I was born in era that used computers instead of an ink well on the desk, and the ink monitor always had blue fingers.LOL
That was the days you're work was marked by the number of blots obliterated your writing.
To eject correctly highlight what you want to eject. Then on the top right of the keyboard there is and arrow with a black line under it press that and it will list what you can eject. If not done properly every time it can get corrupted. You can also do it by right clicking same result. Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back