Mac G4 save files to PC, how?? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi guys found my daughters old Powerbook G4 and by reseating the ram I have got it to fire up, now although she doesn't want the computer (saw the light and got a PC ::bigsmile:) she does want the pictures around 53 gig, any easy way to transfer them? Its running Leopard I believe.

I have tried wifi, it sees my network but will not connect.
USB mobile disc, doesn't connect,
8gig usb stick, it sees that but its going to take a while to do.
Cloud storage, my Livedrive doesn't support Leopard, and no one I think gives you 50gig for free.

Any ideas?

Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Ian

I did this some while ago copying my pictures on the Power Book to DVD s. then onto the PC . long winded but works. or

edit.. by any chance has she backed up the Mac files onto a drive or DVD ? If so I have a program that can read Mac files and copy to PC , called Trans Mac .

Have you tried Ethernet cable ?

not tried this myself.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQaFNgU2cBU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQaFNgU2cBU[/ame]

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
On the Mac, go to 'System Preferences' (either in Applications, or click the apple logo in the top left of the top bar for the drop-down) then choose 'Sharing'. Click 'File Sharing' then click the 'Options' button. Choose 'Share Files & Folders using SMB (Windows)' then click 'Done'.

You will probably have to give the Mac permission to access a Windows group via the PC. This may mean adding the MacBook's name to the permission and possibly setting a password. You should then be able to see the Windows group from the Mac and vice-versa.

Be aware that a Mac stores files using a different format (HFS) to Windows (NTFS or FAT) but you should still be able to see the files as they follow standard jpeg rules.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Nothing seems to work, I have even tried bluetooth and after getting a connection, it refused to copy. A usb 8gig stick won't work either, the Mac shows it correctly as an 8gig stick, but when I try to copy to it, it says not enough space. tried formatting using the mac, still no go. Any ideas?

Ian

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Last edited:
OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi DB that article refers to a mobile usb disc, not removing the installed HD. I have already tried a usb disc and the mac won't read it. I tried connecting them together via an RJ45 cable as the vid shows, doesn't work. I think a DVD is looking like the way to go, that's assuming the player still works.

Can you remove a mac hd and fit it into a pc?

Ian

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can you remove a mac hd and fit it into a pc?

I see no reason why not. HDs are HDs at the hardware level. The connector on an older HD will probably be an IDE, the wide plug with umpteen pins, but the PC should have these, even if they are not being used.

The Mac will have a different filing system and with one of the free utilities you should be able read it.

Whatton

Free Member
Apr 30, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
A cheap portable hard drive will do it in one go, and it will be useful as a back up drive afterwards.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
A usb 8gig stick won't work either, the Mac shows it correctly as an 8gig stick, but when I try to copy to it, it says not enough space. tried formatting using the mac, still no go.

When you tried on the Mac, which bit failed - the formatting or the copying afterwards?

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
the copying

So, if you do a "Get Info" on the USB stick, is it saying that there's no available space?

How about installing Dropbox on both machines?

No wi-fi connection, so presumably no internet connection, unless the laptop can be wired directly to a modem/router?

Oct 8, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Ravenna
Exp
newguy
Have a look at a Manhattan sata hdd dock. You remove the drive from the duff laptop. Plug the manhattan ( 30 quid ) via usb into 2nd paltop or pc , then you can read all files and back up. The manhattan wil handle all types of memory card or usb stick to cross back up. Good cheap bit of kit.

Steve.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
So, if you do a "Get Info" on the USB stick, is it saying that there's no available space?
No wi-fi connection, so presumably no internet connection, unless the laptop can be wired directly to a modem/router?

Wi-fi is fine, but it won't connect to other computers on the network, dropbox is a possibility, but I have 15gig to transfer.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Wi-fi is fine, but it won't connect to other computers on the network, dropbox is a possibility, but I have 15gig to transfer.

Sorry...I misunderstood your bit at the start of this about seeing the network but not connecting.

If the laptop's on the network, then presumably you can 'ping' it from another PC? And the other way around?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back