Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Hi we will be picking up our new MH from Essex and driving it home to Glasgow tomorrow morning, hopefully setting off about 10am after rush hour.
Whats your thoughts on the M6 toll road. Is it worth the £11, or should we just stick to the old M6 ( we are not cc members so don't get a discount).

We will not be travelling fast but at the same time hopefully don't want to be sitting in traffic jams

Thanks
Sandra
hi,sandra use the toll,you must let us know more about your new [posh van]:ROFLMAO:.joyce and i hope you and mum enjoy,safe journey home.
John.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I used to go up the M5 and then north up the M6 to the M54 for Telford quite regularly some years ago. When the M6 Toll was opened it made a dramatic difference to the queues. Previously we would cut the corner via Kidderminster during busy times as it was quicker but that became unnecessary once the toll road was open.

Same here, oddly enough. I used to commute from Berkshire to Telford and back in a day 2 or 3 days a week for a while.

I'd go the toll pretty much every time. We'll be heading to Telford to drop Udo off with Dave Newell in a few weeks time and I'll be using it for that trip purely because the road should be quieter.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
It's not just the section of motorway around Brum that gives problems - there's the M62 section and the Thelwall Viaduct - it's areally crap road at the best of times.:Sad:

If we're coming from the south east we always use the M11 / A1 and then cut across to the west coast using the A66 - for Glasgow it's just as easy and far more relaxing.:Smile:

A lot of the truckies do it that way as well (including the one's heading for Edinburgh) - far easier than fighting the M6 traffic.

Daedalus

Must agree, best route by far

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Been to Manchester Trafford centre today, Toll road there and back with no traffic. Love that toll road:thumb:

Rob.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I used to travel to Manchester from London a fair bit and always stayed on the M1 till J24A and then took the A50 across to the M6.

A50 is mostly dual carriageway and was never busy but it has been a few years since I have been that way.

:thumb::thumb:

Agree with you, never busy on A50.BUSBY::bigsmile:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
m6 toll

From Essex have a look at m1 from m25 take a50 to stoke on Trent then m6 north, misses all the horrors of the Midlands, duel carragway all the way, stops cafes and quiet places to rest awhile, uttoxeter is not a bad little town, at stoke you could use the a500, known as the d road, have a look at a map and you will see why, lots of little towns for a lunch stop, then back k on m6 at jnc 16, travel safe

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
On the rare occasion I've used the toll road its not made much difference, as there has been congestion on the bits the toll road doesn't bypass. If I was doing your journey it would be M11 and A1M every time.

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
I used to travel to Manchester from London a fair bit and[HI]always stayed on the M1 till J24A and then took the A50 across to the M6.[/HI] A50 is mostly dual carriageway and was never busy but it has been a few years since I have been that way.

:thumb::thumb:

that's the route I use

Jan 11, 2014
Medway, Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
:Eeek:Prefer either M6 Toll or A50 above the old M6 just to avoid Fort Dunlop area which is depressing! Just take your time and be safe.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
When I collected my motor home from up north to me ,I had to go on the M6 it was a Saturday morning, got very busy near Stoke, was worse coming back, late afternoon, if you can go on a toll I personally would do, I hadn`t been on the M6 before then.

Good luck and enjoy.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
why drive all across the country at its widest point before heading north? M11 A1 definitely the best route from essex. as a bonus theres better scenery on this route too, as for time, probably quicker as youre not likely to be driving the new van hard anyway. will save £11 toll plus cheaper fuel than the M6 corridor (after getting away from london of course)

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Wow, what an amazing response. Thanks to each one of you for your replies. I managed to read most of them before I left. We have just got home now after taking a wrong turn , been on the road for 10 hrs driving with a few short stops. Knackered now.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Congratulations...
Your first long journey in her over.
Enjoy
We're up your way at lomond woods next week.. Anything we need to know about the roads.. (were picking up a wee hire car from the airport on the way through).

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Wow, what an amazing response. Thanks to each one of you for your replies. I managed to read most of them before I left. We have just got home now after taking a wrong turn , been on the road for 10 hrs driving with a few short stops. Knackered now.

and which route did you use?

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sorry i couldn't offer any help with your route but glad to hear you are safely home, you should have a great time kitting it out now and making all your plans ..... Enjoy!:thumb:

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better

So which route did you take????

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Think she went straight upstairs to bed! ::bigsmile:

I sure did and was so glad to do so after enduring a shivering night previously in the
MH not knowing how to work the heating.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
So which route did you take????
Erm well that's another story. Let's just say since we left the pick up point we went in a straight line for an hr following mums instructions via sat nav which by that time the penny finally dropped ....she hadn't set the sat nav properly so in effect all it was showing her was the road...NOT straight ahead directions.

We eventually made it up the M6 toll road.

martintheviking

Free Member
Jan 27, 2014
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Bit late now (only just seen this thread)but I've only used the toll twice in my wagon, that's because we had a free trial last year.

For future reference try the Highways website-http://m.highways.gov.uk/default.aspx
Gives you motorway traffic flow between junctions & the HA Traffic App gives you info on incidents on the motorways & most A roads.

For the Wagon Haters out there-
99% of the lorries are restricted to around 52 to 56 mph, they can't go any faster without pulling a fuse or tampering with the gearbox seal (both illegal !) so if you sit at 55.5 mph the wagon that can do 56 mph is only trying to get a move on (he's not trying to race you) admitadly some HGV Drivers shouldn't be on the road but in general most are just doing their job.
Best thing to do when your mixing it with HGV's is either speed up to 60 (most HGV's with catch you at that speed)& stay at that speed (don't keep slowing down)or stay around 50, then they will just get past you without any drama's.
Flash them in when they are safely past you, 99% will thank you with a couple if indicates left & right. :winky:

Ericlumb

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Ilfracombe
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Since1983
I've just been charged £11 and been told if I was a member of caravan club it would be discounted I am not and I think it's poor value but I've tied it,but only once we are rarely in any big hurry and not to spend eleven quid

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I've used the m6 toll road once in 24 years driving :)

And only ever been stuck In traffic on the old m6 twice in that time
I used to travel from Scotland to Worcester twice monthly till march last year :)

Save the 11 quid

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Bit late now (only just seen this thread)but I've only used the toll twice in my wagon, that's because we had a free trial last year.

For future reference try the Highways website-http://m.highways.gov.uk/default.aspx
Gives you motorway traffic flow between junctions & the HA Traffic App gives you info on incidents on the motorways & most A roads.

For the Wagon Haters out there-
99% of the lorries are restricted to around 52 to 56 mph, they can't go any faster without pulling a fuse or tampering with the gearbox seal (both illegal !) so if you sit at 55.5 mph the wagon that can do 56 mph is only trying to get a move on (he's not trying to race you) admitadly some HGV Drivers shouldn't be on the road but in general most are just doing their job.
Best thing to do when your mixing it with HGV's is either speed up to 60 (most HGV's with catch you at that speed)& stay at that speed (don't keep slowing down)or stay around 50, then they will just get past you without any drama's.
Flash them in when they are safely past you, 99% will thank you with a couple if indicates left & right. :winky:
Problem is not all motorhomes can maintain 60 going up gradients and unlike the trucks they don't have the reserve power or torque required

I have to say there's nothing more intimidating than having 50 tonnes of artic sat right on your arse climbing a hill and all you can see in your rear view is volvo or man

I work for a company that has a fairly large fleet of trucks and whilst I appreciate they need to get somewhere in a hurry I also know the lack of attention most are paying to their driving

And the amount of accidents they have

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Hi we will be picking up our new MH from Essex and driving it home to Glasgow tomorrow morning, hopefully setting off about 10am after rush hour.
Whats your thoughts on the M6 toll road. Is it worth the £11, or should we just stick to the old M6 ( we are not cc members so don't get a discount).

We will not be travelling fast but at the same time hopefully don't want to be sitting in traffic jams

Thanks
Sandra

Why not try the A50
Straight up the M1 to junction 24 across the A50 (dual carriageway all the way) to the A500 north around Stoke and join the M6 at junction 16, miss out all the birmingham bit altogether.

Worth a though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back