M25 and LEZ

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by casemod, Jun 24, 2018.

1. casemod

casemod

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,
    Ill be soon touring around Europe and part of the route is from Dover to Manchester.

I've read that, as long as I keep my older van within the M25 I should not have any issues with the LEZ, but just wanted to ask whenever this is the case still?
    If not what route shall I take? Also any advice regarding current enforcement in Spain? Ill be crossing near San Sebastian on my way to the north of Portugal and I seem to recall there was some LEZ over there, but can't seem to find it now.

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +21,273
    On the M25. Not within it.

Don't try and be clever and avoid the tolls at Dartford.

The motorway itself is not part of the LEZ. If you leave it you hit the zone almost immediately

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

Ratings:
    +12,015
    Keep to the M25 and you should be OK. Go inside and it will prove expensive.

4. f6c

f6c Funster

Ratings:
    +1,496
    Welcome aboard;)

5. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Ratings:
    +16,564
    Hi and welcome to FUN. (y)

6. casemod

casemod

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all,

I understand the tunnel would clearly be inside the LEZ, but was actually wondering if the Dartford crossing is exempt too or if I should go clockwise. I would naturally prefer to take the toll as it is the shortest route (will be heading to Stevenage before Manchester), but the map shows a portion inside the LEZ, which I assume any exit from the M25?

The plan would be M20; M25, Dart, M25, and either A10 or A1 north.

Also, any good recommendations to store the van near south Manchester? I suppose the road would be off limits and it is too big for a garage.

7. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +26,503
    Well albeit that the M6, M1, M25, M20 over the QE11 out and Dartford tunnel in reverse, its not that many more miles to do M6, M42, M40" M25 and M20 avoiding the Dartford crossing but staying within the M25 and obviously the LEZ.

8. Simon Richardson

Simon Richardson Funster

Ratings:
    +182
    Remember to pay the bloody toll!

So keen to get to Spain earlier this year we forgot to pay it for over 3 days and it cost us over £100!! :mad::mad:

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +40,256
    As others have said, keep to the M25 and you will be OK.
    It strikes me, though, have you actually checked whether or not your "older" van is compliant? Ours is 15 years old but not liable for the charge. You can check Here, and see all other information you need about the LEZ.

As regards the Dartford Crossing, the easiest way to avoid not paying is to set up a pay as you go account. Details Here. They initially talked about closing accounts (with balances forfeited) if they weren't used regularly but after some (reasonably robust) communication they changed their attitude. I set up my account with £10 in January 2015, we have only used the crossings 3 times and I still have a balance of £4.99

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    The way some have been taken through the LEZ zone is by setting their SatNav to avoid toll roads which is a viable option in France and Spain but if on the eastern half of the M25 it routes you into London and the LEZ to avoid the tolls on the Dartford crossings.
    If you did reroute through London it would cost you as much in fuel never mind LEZ.
    Stevenage is m20,m25,A1.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  11. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Ratings:
    +896
    As @GJH says, set up an account before you go £10 and then no probs. The lane signage approaching from the south is a bit confusing if you are a big van (as we are) and my GPS was convinced there was a width restriction immediately AFTER the tunnel and tried to route me via Blackwall then demanded I agreed to proceed. There isnt of course but it did give me pause! Just stick to the signs

• Like it Like it x 1