M/H registered as Private light goods BUT Max weight plate 3850KG? (1 Viewer)

JEB

Free Member
Feb 9, 2013
UK -sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I`m a newbie
Folks ..Would really appreciate some advice on my M/H weights in log book

. On log book the motorhome rated Private light goods , with 2880 kg against revenue weight . Ive sorta assumed 2880 was base vehicle then you add all extras and be at or under 3500 kg?
The motorhome manufacturers plate states 3850KG- max permissible
Max gross weight with trailer 5490KG
Front axle permissable 1850KG
Rear axle permissable 2120KG

I’ve been advised that it should be recorded as PHGV as it’s rated Gross permissible Vehicle Weight is apparently over 3500 Kg (ie 3850kg). Before I investigate the logistics involved in getting DVLA to change their records .I was told by the dealer i purchased from the gross loaded up fuel wine, wife and dogs et al should not exceed 3500kg.
Just wanted to check that to your knowledge if i should advise DVLA max weight 3850??

or Find out if it has been down rated to 3500 kg which would explain it being a PLG on the V5C.????

if it had been downrated would there be a third plate on it somewhere saying max weight 3500kg??.???

OR is all in order on the log book ??
Thanks for any info...

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
(y)Sounds like it's been down rated to me should be another plate somewhere door pillars,or in engine compartment.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you put your details into here what does it come up as?

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

It may simply be that it HAS been down-plated and that's why the dealer is insistent you stay below 3500kg BUT if it IS still 3850kg then as a bonus the road tax is cheaper!

Whatever you do you'll definitely need to get a new V5C anyway as the revenue weight should be either 3500kg or 3850kg, certainly NOT 2880kg.

Obviously if you definitely have a 3850kg vehicle and can prove it to the DVLA it shouldn't cost you anything to get a new V5C showing this but you need to bear in mind that a higher weight classification means lower speed limits abroad and could affect your breakdown/recovery. If however it is the lower weight then you need to consider what payload you really have and whether it is sufficient for your needs.

You really DO need to sort this out as it could have consequences in the future if you don't. Your insurer for example probably won't be bothered what weight it is BUT in the event of a claim they may use this against you if the info they have is wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back