Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I had run out of floor space within my Burstner Ixeo 680g garage but had some space above the bikes that was wasted, so this got me thinking.

First thought was to install a shelf but decided against this as it would be restrictive with the shelf being fixed and didn't really want to start drilling into the side walls.

Following further research on internet I came across ceiling storage solutions using plastic boxes but couldn't find anything available here in the U.K. I then came across 1" aluminium wallboard sections used in the building trade. I already had some plastic storage boxes that were a perfect size. The only downside was I had to purchase a 4m length (allowance for mistakes!).

Measured the length required to allow the storage of two boxes, cut, drilled and then fixed to ceiling of garage, which being the base of wardrobe is good solid timber to fix to.

This has turned out better solution as the boxes can be removed giving me more flexibility then a fixed shelf. Personally really chuffed with the result(y)

Space gained within garage following the purchase of our folding bikes.

1" aluminium wallboard cut to size and fixed to exact width of plastic storage box to allow it to slide in and out.

Both boxes in.

Everything back in, bike rack slides in and out with boxes in situ, as well as everything else being accessible too and best of all approved by Mrs J.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
What a brilliant idea. I have bikes in our garage but we can lower the bed to make it easier to get in and out of so not a lot of wasted space inside garage. I also remove the front wheels to get the bikes lower.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Great idea @Hellski
I will see if I can do the same.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hellski

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Now that is an idea just need to find some channel and boxes that fit in it when we get ours not long now

I purchased mine from here, a little more expensive then I had hoped especially with carriage added. You may be able to acquire the exact length required from a builders merchant?
Storage boxes I already had, you just need to make sure the thickness of the edge of the box doesn't exceed 1". You don't need to worry about using the lid as the ceiling does this for you;)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Great idea.
Would it have been cheaper to use channel on its side rather than H section. Drill first hole at screw shank diameter through both parallel sides and then larger diameter drill bit through bottom section to allow screw head to pass through and continue to drill a little further to provide countersink

IMG_20170222_213815.jpg

OP
OP
Hellski

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Great idea.
Would it have been cheaper to use channel on its side rather than H section. Drill first hole at screw shank diameter through both parallel sides and then larger drill bit through bottom section to allow screw head to pass through and continue to drill a little further to provide countersink

View attachment 149231
Maybe? I did look at endstop section but was unsure of the thickness of the aluminium once a counter sunk had been created and didn't want any obstructions effecting the smoothness within the channel or weakness.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I do like people who think 'outside the box' ... only thing I would do is fit some sort of 'stop' so that the boxes can't slide around on the runners whilst travelling, a simple rubber bung on each end would do the trick.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Proper job. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.