Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi funsters.
I store my M/H behind my car on my drive and was wondering if any one has used a M/H awning as a carport? I was thinking of attaching it to the house wall and when I needed to get the 'van out, I could simply move the car and wind up the awning to be able to drive past it. I don't live in a particularly windy area but how robust is it?
Your comments would be appreciated, please.
thanks, Roy

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
i lived in my 5th wheel for 2.5 years whilst doing up my house and had the awning out all the time .but remember, an american awning is MUCH stronger than a euro awning,also make sure you have plenty of leen from one end to the other to help water drain off.ALSO BE VERY CAREFULL to make sure you put it away if any chance of snow as the extra weight of a lot of snow could rip your awning,or worse still rip the side out of your motor.I almost forgot, after about 18 months i came home to find my roof sheet ripped to shreds,so i had a super heavy duty one made by a local firm that makes curtains for lorries (heavy, but very strong)was perfect after that.good luck .steve.:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Not advisable ! If you just want to protect the MH from dirt. leaves etc just get a half cover Fiamma, not expensive as such.

Peter

OP
OP
Swiftroy1

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for your reply Peter, but I had thought of using the awning as a carport for my car not the m/h. Roy

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Agree with the others... it wouldn't last the winter ..

I had the same situation, so built a carport high enough to allow the MH to pass under..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
I have seen what wind damage can do to an awning when (even though the Storm Straps were on ) it whipped right over our friends Hymer and ripped the fixings off and did a lot of Damage.:Doh:
Could you not buy a Car Cover instead.??

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
Awning as a car port

We had our wind out awning set on not a prticulary windy day and a freak gust caught it and blew it right over the van damaging the struts. So would not advise it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back