LZ ( landing zone) Arnhem 70 yrs today (1 Viewer)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Operation Market Garden was a massive undertaking and so often overlooked.
A lot of brave young men were lost due to rather optimistic intelligence assessments, along with other cock ups.
When visiting, it is always very touching when you see how the children in Arnhem are taught to respect the history and the lives of those who were lost in the failed operation.
Its one of those places where there really is a appreciation from the locals for the sacrifice that those British and Polish paratroopers gave.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just been round the Military Museum in Diekirch, Luxembourg. Mostly related to the Battle of the Bulge and the Yanks. The thing that struck me was all the equipment needed to fight a war, it’s a bit obvious really but seeing all the boxes of rations, medical supplies and ammo just made me think of the enormous logistics and the profits to be made. Funny seeing tnt demolition charges with the du Pont logo on them.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Just been round the Military Museum in Diekirch, Luxembourg. Mostly related to the Battle of the Bulge and the Yanks. The thing that struck me was all the equipment needed to fight a war, it’s a bit obvious really but seeing all the boxes of rations, medical supplies and ammo just made me think of the enormous logistics and the profits to be made. Funny seeing tnt demolition charges with the du Pont logo on them.
Glad you survived the herring meal .... nice to have met you last weekend.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
We're going to Arnhem at the end of october,,,, that is, if we can find anywhere to stay,all the campsites seem to close mid october in holland,,, and this is the land of ACSI!.
In fact we're struggling to find anything worth seeing in holland.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Operation Market Garden was a massive undertaking and so often overlooked.
A lot of brave young men were lost due to rather optimistic intelligence assessments, along with other cock ups.
When visiting, it is always very touching when you see how the children in Arnhem are taught to respect the history and the lives of those who were lost in the failed operation.
Its one of those places where there really is a appreciation from the locals for the sacrifice that those British and Polish paratroopers gave.

Well said.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back