Lyndon Top in Danger from Council. (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's a very strange website. I couldn't find an address or any details or photos of the campsite.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Local pressure from nearby sites, I feel that have te ear of officialdom. dib, dib, dob, dob,??????
Does this imply there is a Scout site nearby?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Why should that be a factor?

B&Q compete with Wickes and Asda with Tesco. We wouldn't expect councils to step in to favour one of those or the other would we?
Why should it be any different because it is caravan/camping sites that are the businesses competing?

Is @Abacist on the right track perhaps?

Councils rarely argue with the likes of Tesco GJH, when Sainsburys built on Warren Heath in Ipswich they ignored planning in some way, can't remember the details but council simply rolled over.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
I have just read a message from info@lyndontop.com That there is a move by Rutland County Council to close them down and that they need help from campers to make a case.
I would be very upset if this was to happen after this many years of stopping off there. I certainly would not be stopping at any caravan site instead, they can poke their county if it happens.
It is probably a nearby site upset that they are not getting the business and complaining to the council.
If you can send a message to them confirming you support and how long you have been going there, if you have of course.
It is one of my favourite places to stop on the way up and down the country, right in the middle and I intend to keep on doing so if possible.
We stayed there on our way up North and signed their petition

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Councils rarely argue with the likes of Tesco GJH, when Sainsburys built on Warren Heath in Ipswich they ignored planning in some way, can't remember the details but council simply rolled over.
They have argued with Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco in this area Ian :)
My point, though, was not about planning matters but if one whinged about being out-competed by another :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Missed out on this one?. Sounds a bit like Richards offgrid campsite near Retford. which is listed as closed now too. What happened?.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I would question if it’s the council or Lakeland Estates that want it closed.
Lakeland Estates clearly do not want it closed - they have emailed me asking for support and I have again asked why the Council are trying to close it. Anyone who hasn't already done so please email
Richard Bee richard@lakelandestatesuk.com
and offer support against its possible closure
Thank you

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
How they expect support without giving more information is ridiculous.

I’m sure there is more to this than meets the eye.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If anyone wants to make a FoI request to Rutland CC without going through a third party, the details are on the council web site Here.
As others have said, though, it's strange that the site owners haven't publicised details of the problems they are facing.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Fellow Funsters.
I have just ad an email from Richard Bee of Lakeland estates who run Lyndon top asking for details of when we started staying there, how many times, etc.
Those who stayed there know what a great spot and a very reasonable old style campsite it is.
They need our help to fight off pending closure and keep it open for us to use.
Please can we email them showing our support, or it will close down.
Richard@lakelandestatesuk.com
Phil

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Fellow Funsters.
I have just ad an email from Richard Bee of Lakeland estates who run Lyndon top asking for details of when we started staying there, how many times, etc.
Those who stayed there know what a great spot and a very reasonable old style campsite it is.
They need our help to fight off pending closure and keep it open for us to use.
Please can we email them showing our support, or it will close down.
Richard@lakelandestatesuk.com
Phil
If they don't give the reasons why they are threatened with closure how can anyone post anything that invalidates those reasons?

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have had a response from Rutland C C - they say
'No action has been taken by Rutland County Council at the moment. However the Enforcement Officer is investigating a potential breach of planning controls at the site. Caravans can be sited at the site if they are there for a temporary period under one of the exemptions as set out in the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015. However it appears that the use of the site as a touring caravan and camping site is not authorised and would require formal planning permission. Rutland County Council are therefore investigating this case.'

So it seems that the planning permission for a touring site is missing. That is extraordinary and it can't be the end of it. Surely Lakeland Estates must be seeking it? Graham?

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
So they are being closed for operating illegally (without the correct permissions)

How can anybody give support for it to stay as it is based on that?

It would make more sense if they asked for what they really want... reviews and comments to support the planning application which I assume they will be submitting at some point.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have had a response from Rutland C C - they say
'No action has been taken by Rutland County Council at the moment. However the Enforcement Officer is investigating a potential breach of planning controls at the site. Caravans can be sited at the site if they are there for a temporary period under one of the exemptions as set out in the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015. However it appears that the use of the site as a touring caravan and camping site is not authorised and would require formal planning permission. Rutland County Council are therefore investigating this case.'

So it seems that the planning permission for a touring site is missing. That is extraordinary and it can't be the end of it. Surely Lakeland Estates must be seeking it? Graham?
Thanks, I did wonder if it was something like that because the casual nature of the site (mention of an honesty box) gave the impression that it didn't actually have a licence.
@M-J sums up the situation pretty well, as did @TeeMyob with mention of Ambleside because the circumstances appear to be pretty similar.

If Lakeland Estates has been operating in breach of the 1960 Act (which is the basis of the relevant parts of the 2015 order mentioned) they have been lucky not to be bounced before now.

It would be up to Lakeland Estates to decide whether they wish to apply for a site licence (which would include the planning consent mentioned). It would then be up to Rutland CC to decide whether to grant that consent (including normal consultations with neighbouring properties and businesses).

Apr 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Site Owner
Dear All,

This is nothing to do with planning permission, site licensing, conditions, complaints or anything else that has been mentioned on this forum.

The facts are as follows -

We have been using this site now for in excess of 21 years and the council have now suddenly decided that to be lawful, we must prove the last 10 years which will then put an end to the whole issue.

Lakeland Estates own the site and have no intention of developing the site for housing, supermarkets, airports or anything else for that matter, we just want to continue as we have been for the last 21 years.

Your support and interest is greatly appreciated and comments letting us know how many years you have been staying with us are great.

I trust this will stop all the guessing and if anyone needs clarification on anything, please email us direct at info@lyndontop.com

Please keep staying with us at Lyndon Top as we have no intention of allowing this matter to stop the continued enjoyment had by all our guests!

Thank you again for your support.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We stayed 2 nights before coming down to Peterborough Show - good site and good value for money at £10 night - friendly easy going staff with no high vis jerkins in sight! signed the petition in the office -
We started going about 5 years ago - good luck with the council.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Dear All,

This is nothing to do with planning permission, site licensing, conditions, complaints or anything else that has been mentioned on this forum.

The facts are as follows -

We have been using this site now for in excess of 21 years and the council have now suddenly decided that to be lawful, we must prove the last 10 years which will then put an end to the whole issue.

Lakeland Estates own the site and have no intention of developing the site for housing, supermarkets, airports or anything else for that matter, we just want to continue as we have been for the last 21 years.

Your support and interest is greatly appreciated and comments letting us know how many years you have been staying with us are great.

I trust this will stop all the guessing and if anyone needs clarification on anything, please email us direct at info@lyndontop.com

Please keep staying with us at Lyndon Top as we have no intention of allowing this matter to stop the continued enjoyment had by all our guests!

Thank you again for your support.
Thank you. Very strange though. Surely both the council and Lakeland Estates have records of how long the site has had a licence don't they?

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Just tried googling it and the website address comes up with this 'HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable'

Jan 27, 2014
Oakham, Rutland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have had this reply to my EnquiriesGood afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Rutland County Council regarding your query.

Lyndon Top Caravan site is being looked at in terms of a potential breach of planning control as it does not currently have planning permission for use as a caravan site. These investigations are on-going and it is not intended to close the site down in the very short term. The future use of the land will depend on the outcome of investigations into its use in the past and there ae several procedures that need to be considered.

If you require any further assistance then please do not hesitate in contacting the customer services department.

Kind regards

Benjamin | Customer Service Advisor
Rutland County Council
Catmose, Oakham, Rutland LE15 6HP
t: | f: |
enquiries@rutland.gov.uk
www.rutland.gov.uk

Sent from my iPad

Rutland County should not be treated as a secure form of communication. Please notify the sender if received in error.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have followed this thread and had never heard of the site but checked its location and thought that it must be worth a visit. Well it certainly is as I am here now and the views are fabulous. 112 acre site, park where you fancy with water and Elsan disposal points. No electric or showers but we have those in our vans and on our roofs in the form of solar power so no problem on that front and all for a pitch fee of £10 per night!

Evidently the owner plans to fight the council tooth and nail!

Some pics to follow!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back