Rally Chat Lymington Rally August 2018 - Canoes (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
A few of you have asked about bringing your canoes & also how to access the water (including @Debs)
so here is the reply from the farmer:
"Access to the water to launch canoes can be in Lymington at the town quay so as to explore the river and go around the sea wall west towards Keyhaven and Hurst Castle , beautiful . Or five minutes drive east from the farm down Tanners Lane to the seashore to explore the creeks of Pylewell marshes , we get two tides per day here six hours in and six hours out so best to plan ahead then allow for weather."
Us Wombles know nothing :shake: about canoeing so over to any of you that might like to mess about on the water with others :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Neither do I Karen & I think the ones I was asking on behalf of have other plans but it may be of use to others.

Thanks for asking though.

Running Wild

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 13, 2016
Wareham Dorset
Funster No
MH
Hymer DL678
Exp
Since 2013
We use Bampton's Farm two or three times a year and if folk with canoes are looking to drag or carry them to the Town slip it is a bit of a trek. We tend to cycle into town and then carry on across the marshes via a cyclepath to Keyhaven. If you google The Chequers pub at Lower Pennington, follow the road south and either walk or ride the short footpath you save about a mile! If you haven't been before the ferry to Hurst Castle is really good. A bit further on is Milford on Sea which is also of interest.
If I get a chance I will check out the Tanners Lane access and let you know.

August in Lymington will be very busy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We use Bampton's Farm two or three times a year and if folk with canoes are looking to drag or carry them to the Town slip it is a bit of a trek. We tend to cycle into town and then carry on across the marshes via a cyclepath to Keyhaven. If you google The Chequers pub at Lower Pennington, follow the road south and either walk or ride the short footpath you save about a mile! If you haven't been before the ferry to Hurst Castle is really good. A bit further on is Milford on Sea which is also of interest.
If I get a chance I will check out the Tanners Lane access and let you know.

August in Lymington will be very busy!
Can't beat a bit of local knowledge - thank you (y) Please do give feedback about the Tanners Lane access if you do try it.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@Running Wild please let us know if you have any feedback on the Tanners Lane access as mentioned before (if you have tried it now) in case it helps anyone planning on bringing a canoe.

Running Wild

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 13, 2016
Wareham Dorset
Funster No
MH
Hymer DL678
Exp
Since 2013
We haven’t had a chance to check it out yet but will make it a mission next W/E and let you know what we find out.
Atb Floss + Ali

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We haven’t had a chance to check it out yet but will make it a mission next W/E and let you know what we find out.
Atb Floss + Ali
That would be great - thank you - will hopefully help those considering it this time or in the future (y)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We are taking kayaks and hope to use them. From what is said above it looks like we will be needing to drive the MoHo to suitable parking to launch them.

Running Wild

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 13, 2016
Wareham Dorset
Funster No
MH
Hymer DL678
Exp
Since 2013
We are in lymington at the moment and have just cycled to tanners lane access to the sea. The last bit is quite narrow and although there was a small mh parked up he would have brushed some overhanging branches. Cars can park and turn on the gravel beach. If the house on the beach had it’s gates closed it would be impossible for a large vehicle to turn. It is a lovely spot though
It would be worth phoning the harbourmaster or Berthon marina for advice on launching and possibly leaving craft there locked up for a few days.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We are in lymington at the moment and have just cycled to tanners lane access to the sea. The last bit is quite narrow and although there was a small mh parked up he would have brushed some overhanging branches. Cars can park and turn on the gravel beach. If the house on the beach had it’s gates closed it would be impossible for a large vehicle to turn. It is a lovely spot though
It would be worth phoning the harbourmaster or Berthon marina for advice on launching and possibly leaving craft there locked up for a few days.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for that - it's much appreciated & sure it will be of use to those bringing canoes (y)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
From memory there are at least a couple of public hards at Lymington. One by the Town Quay where the pleasure boats ply their trade (hopeless for parking and very restricted for a m/h there, even more so with a trailer) and there's one along towards the marina beside Lymington Yacht Club. I suggest contacting the Tourist Office. From my experience with having my yacht at Berthons Lymington for 5 years I wouldn't be surprised if they'll want evidence of third party liability insurance and charge significantly for using their facilities but I could be totally wrong. Worth a try.
P.S. Many canoeists and dinghy sailors launch/recover and use the glorious harbour so don't be put off!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
If you go to Milford on sea & travel down New Road to the end, (Past Carrington Park - good place for a rally) there is usually a fair bit of space to park a European motorhomes & some wild camp there too.
50°42'59.7"N 1°34'35.7"W
You can then carry a canoe a few yards into the water adjacent to Saltgrass Lane. We Have been to Carrington Park a few times with the RV & often seen people with canoes pottering about in the water & making there way out into the Keyhaveh Harbour area.
More importantly there is usually an ice cream van parked right on the corner -but none on the day Google street view was there!

Ps I'm not a canoeist just a wanna be.

Regards

Arthur

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back