Luskentyre (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Isn’t it difficult , we go to that beach and park on the high tide line in approved motorhome bays paying an incredibly good value £5 / night

seems tough to then try and stop folk that haven’t got motorhomes doing similar 🤔

I would like to think aesthetics and environmental impact would be considered before approval if given 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I would hate to turn up and find them in the wrong place. Over the years many photographs have been taken showing it’s wild beaut, it would be a real shame to end up with glorified Sheds with fire pits in the photos.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Is it a local who wants to plant these Pods or an Off comer?
The couple moved to Harris in 2015.
As I understand it, they then bought no.1 Luskentyre as a 'project' which they have now sold without its surrounding croft land, on which they have already built two more properties and consent for 3 pods, and which is where they want to build these further pods. This means that there could be 14 buildings on a site where just 3 years ago there was one.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The couple moved to Harris in 2015.
As I understand it, they then bought no.1 Luskentyre as a 'project' which they have now sold without its surrounding croft land, on which they have already built two more properties and consent for 3 pods, and which is where they want to build these further pods. This means that there could be 14 buildings on a site where just 3 years ago there was one.
It may have appeared a daft question as many of the islands are becoming filled with non islanders. I think there are locals who are upset with offcomers arriving and disrupting the island way of life, but change happens. I just woukd be disappointed if the scenery was spoilt by too many buildings.
The Pods would show in any photographs but it depends on their design. I would like to see them covered over like ‘Earth dwellings‘ to lower the impact on the view. The novelty of them would permit a premium charge and cost less to heat so a win win for all If they have to be built.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It may have appeared a daft question as many of the islands are becoming filled with non islanders. I think there are locals who are upset with offcomers arriving and disrupting the island way of life, but change happens. I just woukd be disappointed if the scenery was spoilt by too many buildings.
The Pods would show in any photographs but it depends on their design. I would like to see them covered over like ‘Earth dwellings‘ to lower the impact on the view. The novelty of them would permit a premium charge and cost less to heat so a win win for all If they have to be built.
It's a proper question, having lived in the Yorkshire Dales and Pennines, far west Cornwall and now Skye I really appreciate its significance.
Incomers are encouraged on most of the islands to try to maintain a sustainable, thriving community. Some Islands are offering significant benefits to incoming families.
The objections are partly to do with way of life but that's not to say "traditional"; islanders are very adaptable and have embraced technology like you wouldn't believe. Incomers are welcomed if they respect what's there; the islands aren't for exploitation and 'takeover'. The history of the Clearances is still very raw. The problems arise when visitors don't understand or care for local culture; and when off-islanders assume that islanders are somehow primitive, poor, and need to be given 'what's best for them'.
In this instance it's not about photographs or aesthetics. The environment is at risk (managing waste and pollution is a real issue on the Outer Isles) which puts the daily way of life AND what people visit for, at risk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
It's a proper question, having lived in the Yorkshire Dales and Pennines, far west Cornwall and now Skye I really appreciate its significance.
Incomers are encouraged on most of the islands to try to maintain a sustainable, thriving community. Some Islands are offering significant benefits to incoming families.
The objections are partly to do with way of life but that's not to say "traditional"; islanders are very adaptable and have embraced technology like you wouldn't believe. Incomers are welcomed if they respect what's there; the islands aren't for exploitation and 'takeover'. The history of the Clearances is still very raw. The problems arise when visitors don't understand or care for local culture; and when off-islanders assume that islanders are somehow primitive, poor, and need to be given 'what's best for them'.
In this instance it's not about photographs or aesthetics. The environment is at risk (managing waste and pollution is a real issue on the Outer Isles) which puts the daily way of life AND what people visit for, at risk.
I agree with everything you say, but photos are the only thing I would take away from the Islands. 👍🏻

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back