Lunar Roadstar 570e high level brake light (1 Viewer)

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
Does anyone know where the wiring for the high level brake light goes? The unit has packed up and they've failed it on the MOT.

Would it mean removing the rear cupboards above the sink to gain access or is the unit serviceable?

Any help appreciated

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Does anyone know where the wiring for the high level brake light goes? The unit has packed up and they've failed it on the MOT.

Would it mean removing the rear cupboards above the sink to gain access or is the unit serviceable?

Any help appreciated
I assume the bulb has been changed to check it's not that? If you haven't taken the light cover off remove it and see if any of the connecting wires at the back have come lose.

OP
OP
Big Lad

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
It's in the workshop. I'll pop down in the morning and take a look at what he's on about. I think it's an led unit. I'd want to test it first see if there's power going to it. I think he's referring to where the light unit connects as he can't see where the wiring goes..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It isnt an mot item as far as i know (Geo ?);so shouldnt have failed.
I thought that the rule was that if lights are fitted they had to work?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I thought that the rule was that if lights are fitted they had to work?
Under construction and use regs yes but not necessarily for mot, reverse lights are not checked on mot for example. Not sure if third brake light not working is a fail though.

D.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From the MOT testers manual....

Additional stop lamps fitted and connected must
be tested. Where extra lamps are fitted and there is
doubt as to whether they are connected, the benefit
of this doubt should be given to the presenter.

The presenter being the person bringing 5he vehicle for test.
The benefit of doubt appears to have been ignored, a good case for an appeal.

Attachments

• mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Big Lad

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
Failed it on
Offside stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
Central stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)

OP
OP
Big Lad

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
It was front side light bulb, rear stop light, high level brake light and 2 front brake pipes. All jobs done bar the high level stop light which is why I asked where the wiring went in case it needed the unit replacing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
From the MOT testers manual....

Additional stop lamps fitted and connected must
be tested. Where extra lamps are fitted and there is
doubt as to whether they are connected, the benefit
of this doubt should be given to the presenter.

The presenter being the person bringing 5he vehicle for test.
The benefit of doubt appears to have been ignored, a good case for an appeal.
According to the info you posted above there isn't a 'case' for an appeal as it was a brake (stop) light which MUST work and doesn't.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On my mates we just unscrewed the light unit from outside. Pulled out the wiring , chopped off, connected wires using inline connectors & heat shrink & fitted a new one.Check for power first as we new his was ok just had some led's not working.

OP
OP
Big Lad

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
I only wanted to know where the wiring runs if anyone has had a similar problem. Rules is rules at the end of the day, so I just need to move forward with repairing the high level stop light.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
According to the info you posted above there isn't a 'case' for an appeal as it was a brake (stop) light which MUST work and doesn't.
The additional stop lamps must be tested, but if not working can be assumed to not be connected thus pass the test.

Open the link and scroll to section 1.2
The wording is under the stop light section, not general lighting.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The additional stop lamps must be tested, but if not working can be assumed to not be connected thus pass the test.

Open the link and scroll to section 1.2
The wording is under the stop light section, not general lighting.
... based on what you say above then if the stop lamp is there but the wires are not connected this shouldn't stop it passing? :confused:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
... based on what you say above then if the stop lamp is there but the wires are not connected this shouldn't stop it passing? :confused:
Correct.
Even if it is connected but not working and the tester can't see the wiring termination it should be assumed it isn't connected.
That's how I interpret the guidance but obviously it needs a qualified tester to confirm.....Geo !
The legal requirement is one o/s and one n/s light at prescribed positions, any other brake lights are considered 'extras/aux'

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Correct.
Even if it is connected but not working and the tester can't see the wiring termination it should be assumed it isn't connected.
That's how I interpret the guidance but obviously it needs a qualified tester to confirm.....Geo !
The legal requirement is one o/s and one n/s light at prescribed positions, any other brake lights are considered 'extras/aux'
I think @Geo must have gone to bed! :D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If i recall right my last van the high level brake light feed was hidden inside the rear end cap. was a lunar 590. mind there was also a woodgrain covered conduit up the wall too, but thought that was for the reversing camera

OP
OP
Big Lad

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
Well, I've brought the van into the workshop to take a look. I've removed the 2 retaining screws that hold the light fitting in and exposed 2 cm of wires. I've managed to get the tester on the wires and there's absolutely no live feed.

Next step, was to find where the wiring goes... It turns out it runs across and down the rear offside panel where it joins the main loom for the rear lights at the bottom - this was where I spotted the wires disconnected & tied up!

Reconnected the wires then retested by the light fitting and surprise surprise there's now a live feed but no light.. so the lcd fitting is kaput.. I'm assuming by my searches that the fitting is no longer available hence the previous owner chopping the wires.

My plan is to disassemble the fitting and replace the LCDs with a new strip. Wish me luck.

IMG_20170113_165805.jpg

OP
OP
Big Lad

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
IMG_20170113_193056.jpg
so Im going to use these ring styling lights as replacement LEDs. Now to use them, I need to remove all the outer casing leaving just the PCB board and LEDs which is the same height as the ones I've removed.
IMG_20170113_195624.jpg
now all I need to do tomorrow is fit them into the brake light fitting and reconnect everything. If all goes well I can reseal the light unit. I'll just add that I am aware that the original PCB had 20 LEDs and these are 2 banks of 6 giving me 12, but should be just as bright.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The high level one is only legal in the UK under EU rules. After Brexit they'll all be illegal :LOL:
Well, I've brought the van into the workshop to take a look. I've removed the 2 retaining screws that hold the light fitting in and exposed 2 cm of wires. I've managed to get the tester on the wires and there's absolutely no live feed.

Next step, was to find where the wiring goes... It turns out it runs across and down the rear offside panel where it joins the main loom for the rear lights at the bottom - this was where I spotted the wires disconnected & tied up!

Reconnected the wires then retested by the light fitting and surprise surprise there's now a live feed but no light.. so the lcd fitting is kaput.. I'm assuming by my searches that the fitting is no longer available hence the previous owner chopping the wires.

My plan is to disassemble the fitting and replace the LCDs with a new strip. Wish me luck.

View attachment 141660

They are all still available & straight ones are the easiest to find but your idea of fitting inside is just as easy.(y)

OP
OP
Big Lad

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
You may be rite there, but I need to get it sorted and passed. I can always search one out afterwards. I did toy with the idea of bunging a temporary one on but the way I am temporary means I probably won't touch it again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back