Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All,
Some friends of ours are considering buying their first MH. Like us a few months ago they have little knowledge of makes or models (we bought our first in December).
They have found a layout which suits in a Lunar Fivestar (which they think is built around a Renault) but are struggling to find any info about this MH in terms of build quality, manufacturer, availability of spares, etc.
Can anyone help or advise please?

Thanks
John

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Lunar don't make motorhomes any more so some spares may be hard to find. However, I think these are Belgian built by Home-car so you may be in luck looking over there if you need anything unusual.

However, this only really applies to panels etc - many of the bits are generic and fairly easily sourced. All of this supposes that you will need bits at some time, but the Renault is generally reliable and the build quality isn't bad from the ones that I have seen. Apart from that use the checklist when looking at a prospective purchase and be sure to check for dampl. Hope that helps

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
We bought a Lunar Newstar about 3 years ago and we think it's fabulous..Well built, reliable, easy to drive and very comfortable...what more could we need??

I have found a link to a lunar brochure that tells you about the Five start Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Lunar don't make motorhomes any more so some spares may be hard to find. However, I think these are Belgian built by Home-car so you may be in luck looking over there if you need anything unusual.

However, this only really applies to panels etc - many of the bits are generic and fairly easily sourced. All of this supposes that you will need bits at some time, but the Renault is generally reliable and the build quality isn't bad from the ones that I have seen. Apart from that use the checklist when looking at a prospective purchase and be sure to check for dampl. Hope that helps

The Fivestar is a member of the high-spec Lunar Star range (as in Roadstar) and was made by Lunar in their Preston factory where all Lunar caravans are still made. The Fivestar used the Renault Master as the base chassis along with the Telstar and XStar. The Roadstars are built on the Fiat chassis, the top end larger models on Al-Ko duo-floor chassis. None of these top-of-the-range Star models were ever made in Belgium.

For a few years the Lunar factory was owned by Chateau Caravans of Belgium who exported their Belgian made motorhomes to the UK where it was badged as Lunar Champ. The Champ was never made in England and this gave rise to some parts supply problems for the Lunar factory. Chateau Caravans went into liquidation at the same time as the Lunar factory was being sold back to the original Lunar management and the import of the Champs ceased.

The Belgian Chateau company was sold to a consortium that started production of the old Champ, now known as Home Car. The former UK Lunar sales manager, well known and respected Eric Hepplewhite, is now the UK sales manager for Home Car. They are in the process of establishing a UK network.

Two or three years ago Lunar ceased production of motorhomes for the time being in order to address an excess (if one can call it that!) of caravan orders - effectively they converted the Preston based motorhome assembly line to the production of caravans. Parts for the original British built Lunar Star range are still available from Lunar Caravans Ld of Preston who are going strong.

The Lunar Star range is a well built and well specified motorhome and the Fivestar eminently practical and spacious and contains some novel features.

As a very satisfied Roadstar 780 owner I hope this clarifies things for you.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the correction - I thought that both the Champ and the Five/tel star were Belgian made but was obviously incorrect. Apologies for that. In my defence I did say "I think"!

I must admit that I was quite pleased with our Newstar when we had it - quite a good van. However, Lunar were terrible at communications and some spare bits when I needed them

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for the correction - I thought that both the Champ and the Five/tel star were Belgian made but was obviously incorrect. Apologies for that. In my defence I did say "I think"!

I must admit that I was quite pleased with our Newstar when we had it - quite a good van. However, Lunar were terrible at communications and some spare bits when I needed them

No apologies needed nor expected, DuxDeluxe - my post wasn't meant to 'correct' you - it was meant just to clarify. As you rightly point out, you did say "I think ..."

I agree that Lunar were never the best at communications - but I have a good dealer and that makes all the difference. A lot of problems - and that goes for most if not all makes - are down to indifferent dealers.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
My understanding is that Lunar are now again throwing a few out there.

The only thing I ever wonder about is why so many state that "Spare parts will be difficult to find" (not a direct critisism just an observation of something said by so many delux)

What exactly is the part you are going to require?

My van is an Adria, I have had a few things from time to time need fixing. I have never once contacted Adria. I have used caravan components in Hull and Olearys in Yorkshire.

So lets go through it and hopefully someone will prove me wrong.

Toilet- made by Thetford (normally) most MHs have them and you can get spares anywhere, there is no specific motorhome related one in mas pro Vans.

Heating-trumatic mostly, again same as everything else,

Fridge-Dometic, again same as everything else.

Skylights- Heiki, again buy them on ebay.

Windows- Company in halifax, send them your smashed window you will have a new one in 48 hours.

Taps- Caravan components keep a massive stock, they managed to match my broken frozen one and return it within 48 hours with only a picture to look at.

sinks, cooker, hobs, ovens, all made by same/similar manufactures, can be picked up at Olearys for a fraction of the cost of what a dealer will charge you.

Electrics- Made by elektobloc or similar, again can be picked up direct and far more cheaply and helpful than some dealers.

So what's left?

Well?

A few locker catches window blinds again, can be picked up at Olearys again.

Outside the van the front is a renault fiat or whatever 10 a penny for spares, the only thing I can't place is probably a habitation door,

So as to worrying about spare parts, I am sorry but I think this is just dealer talk designed to scare people.
The same dealer talk that in Knutsford, told someone i know who is looking for a motorhome- Don't get one of them German vans because parts are difficult to source, when trying to sell a swift. :roflmto:

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
The Fivestar is a member of the high-spec Lunar Star range (as in Roadstar) and was made by Lunar in their Preston factory where all Lunar caravans are still made. The Fivestar used the Renault Master as the base chassis along with the Telstar and XStar. The Roadstars are built on the Fiat chassis, the top end larger models on Al-Ko duo-floor chassis. None of these top-of-the-range Star models were ever made in Belgium.

For a few years the Lunar factory was owned by Chateau Caravans of Belgium who exported their Belgian made motorhomes to the UK where it was badged as Lunar Champ. The Champ was never made in England and this gave rise to some parts supply problems for the Lunar factory. Chateau Caravans went into liquidation at the same time as the Lunar factory was being sold back to the original Lunar management and the import of the Champs ceased.

The Belgian Chateau company was sold to a consortium that started production of the old Champ, now known as Home Car. The former UK Lunar sales manager, well known and respected Eric Hepplewhite, is now the UK sales manager for Home Car. They are in the process of establishing a UK network.

Two or three years ago Lunar ceased production of motorhomes for the time being in order to address an excess (if one can call it that!) of caravan orders - effectively they converted the Preston based motorhome assembly line to the production of caravans. Parts for the original British built Lunar Star range are still available from Lunar Caravans Ld of Preston who are going strong.

The Lunar Star range is a well built and well specified motorhome and the Fivestar eminently practical and spacious and contains some novel features.

As a very satisfied Roadstar 780 owner I hope this clarifies things for you.

Many thanks for this information, it's much appreciated.
John

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
My understanding is that Lunar are now again throwing a few out there.

The only thing I ever wonder about is why so many state that "Spare parts will be difficult to find" (not a direct critisism just an observation of something said by so many delux)

What exactly is the part you are going to require?

My van is an Adria, I have had a few things from time to time need fixing. I have never once contacted Adria. I have used caravan components in Hull and Olearys in Yorkshire.

So lets go through it and hopefully someone will prove me wrong.

Toilet- made by Thetford (normally) most MHs have them and you can get spares anywhere, there is no specific motorhome related one in mas pro Vans.

Heating-trumatic mostly, again same as everything else,

Fridge-Dometic, again same as everything else.

Skylights- Heiki, again buy them on ebay.

Windows- Company in halifax, send them your smashed window you will have a new one in 48 hours.

Taps- Caravan components keep a massive stock, they managed to match my broken frozen one and return it within 48 hours with only a picture to look at.

sinks, cooker, hobs, ovens, all made by same/similar manufactures, can be picked up at Olearys for a fraction of the cost of what a dealer will charge you.

Electrics- Made by elektobloc or similar, again can be picked up direct and far more cheaply and helpful than some dealers.

So what's left?

Well?

A few locker catches window blinds again, can be picked up at Olearys again.

Outside the van the front is a renault fiat or whatever 10 a penny for spares, the only thing I can't place is probably a habitation door,

So as to worrying about spare parts, I am sorry but I think this is just dealer talk designed to scare people.
The same dealer talk that in Knutsford, told someone i know who is looking for a motorhome- Don't get one of them German vans because parts are difficult to source, when trying to sell a swift. :roflmto:

Thanks for the info and it's a good point that you make in that most equipment is generic between MH's.
Good to meet you (and the dog!) over the weekend.
Happy travelling

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi Haganap, thanks for the information- I did say that most parts were generic; I was looking for a piece of panelling and it was trying to get blood out of a stone and they were the only people who had a match.

Squire, no problems - it was a great bit of clarification and genuinely informative and appreciated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back