Lucrative opportunity for an inventor? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I rescued the MH from sub-zero outdoor storage Hell recently and brought it home for a spell on the EHU to try and stop the batteries going flat. I wasted a decent quantity of de-icer and broke our only plastic kitchen spatula removing a centimeter of solid ice from the solar panel. Why solar panels are installed perfectly horizontal is beyond me as they pool water which rapidly turns into ice, and blocks what little sunlight there is in winter.

So it struck me there has to be a potential money spinner out there for the first person to invent a low cost self-defrosting solar panel frame. We have tank heaters, so why not solar panel heaters?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
IMG_4365.JPG
IMG_4366.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Why bother scraping it it will melt in time it might scratch easily and you were putting it on a hook up!!!!

Because it's going back to outdoor storage tomorrow and I'd rather have it working a bit than not working at all. It's not going to snow every day but it could remain cold enough for ice to stay on it for a while. Every little helps.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Rather than scrape it off you could just have poured some warm water over it and watch it simply melt away ... :xThumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We’ve fitted a tap at the front and back of our house. Well Ralph has....
Anyways the front has a hose attached to fill up Pug for our travels. The backs for the planters.
BUT this hose ( at the front ) also comes in handy to defrost Ralph’s pick up, my car and our two boys cars. pug never gets iced up as he’s down the bottom of the drive between ours , next doors and the garage.
We’ve also stretched the hose to the house next door in the past. To do theirs! Cold water , so it won’t crack the glass.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I had an outside tap at my old house plumbed so it could run either hot or cold from switchover inside.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Well I have invented a heater for this purpose! Now I only need to invent a good solar panel to charge my flat batteries !:xcool::xsmile:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The reality is that if it is cold enough for a solar panel to be covered in ice the solar panel will be producing diddly squat in real terms

'If' and when the Sun comes out, high and strong enough to make a significant difference the ice will soon melt

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I notice the frame of the panel is painted white, and was wondering if painting it black might help clear morning frost a bit quicker. Not ice obviously, but every little helps.

One solution would be a temporary net or mesh using similar technology to a heated rear windscreen.

Park the camper in the garage and the solar panel doesnt get snow on it!

Or sunlight (haha), even if we had a 3.5m tall garage :)

Rather than scrape it off you could just have poured some warm water over it and watch it simply melt away ... :xThumb:

Or crack. It was -7C the other day.

Why don't you park it on levellers to make a slight incline then the water will run off?

Don't want to leave the handbrake on for long periods in storage. I park it with the handbrake off.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Heated screens draw anywhere between 10 and 30 amps. Your batteries would be flat before the recent snowfall has melted away.

D.

..which neatly sums up why I have never made it as an inventor :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back