Sam warren

Sam warren

Free Member
May 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Hi Sam, In the same boat as you, your one step ahead, I haven't bought the van yet. Also a newby to this forum, and a South Walian as well, from the land of the Scarlets. You need to look around at the many caravan parks dotted around the area, you might be able to buy parts, I know a guy who did up 3 vans by using reclaimed parts from caravans. Use youtube for ideas, and check out other sites on the web there's plenty of info and help available. Keep posting on the build. Cheers John
Top tip, don't buy a chip fat soaked than that needs welding, lot of work! ??

OP
OP
Sam warren

Sam warren

Free Member
May 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
You mention microwave. Unless you go for an expensive 12v capable version you'd need an inverter or have to be on hook up. 12v or inverters will need a lot of battery that I doubt you can budget. With your budget I'd scrap the idea and stick to a 2 ring gas hob on a changeable bottle and keep space to store a few pots.

Your drawings suggest a hob space, but not even a basic sink? Are you reliant on campsites or if off grid how do you carry and heat water to even wash up in a bowl?
Looking at the draw of a 700watt microwave I should be okay on battery but thanks for the suggestion! In regards to the burner it's going to be a case of build the kitchen and see hows best to lay it out, preference would be a sink over a job in all honesty

I should note 99% of the time this van will be used for 1 night stays at Motocross races ? really appreciate all the suggestions.

On another note, anybody got any experience with diesel heaters?

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Sam, chip fat's out, waiting on a mate who's on holiday to help me get a good one. I'm good at woodwork not so as a mechanic. When he's back will start looking with a view to buying.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sam warren

Sam warren

Free Member
May 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Sam, chip fat's out, waiting on a mate who's on holiday to help me get a good one. I'm good at woodwork not so as a mechanic. When he's back will start looking with a view to buying.
Good move, my vans gone through 2 power washers and 40 litres of tfr to get clean ?‍♂️?‍♂️

OP
OP
Sam warren

Sam warren

Free Member
May 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Would something like this work or is it better to go branded?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
5KW is a serious output. As an example on the early May bank holiday I was mad enough to be in a 3 man tent (so only the thinnest fabric between me and the elements) A small electric ceramic fan heater on it's low 800W setting was sufficient to keep me warm (OK with a jumper on) yet outside temps overnight were dropping to around 3-4 deg C.

It's too long ago now to know details but in the 1980's parents had self built a 30' length 6 berth fibre glass motor boat. That had a Webasto diesel powered heater. Was more than sufficient to heat two cabins via air ducts in a hull that would have had very little insulation, and sat in a cold wet environment, even with freezing pre-easter conditions. I would suggest brand names are less important than reliability, but can you trust any reviews on sites like ebay?

OP
OP
Sam warren

Sam warren

Free Member
May 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
5KW is a serious output. As an example on the early May bank holiday I was mad enough to be in a 3 man tent (so only the thinnest fabric between me and the elements) A small electric ceramic fan heater on it's low 800W setting was sufficient to keep me warm (OK with a jumper on) yet outside temps overnight were dropping to around 3-4 deg C.

It's too long ago now to know details but in the 1980's parents had self built a 30' length 6 berth fibre glass motor boat. That had a Webasto diesel powered heater. Was more than sufficient to heat two cabins via air ducts in a hull that would have had very little insulation, and sat in a cold wet environment, even with freezing pre-easter conditions. I would suggest brand names are less important than reliability, but can you trust any reviews on sites like ebay?
I'll be honest I hadn't clocked this was a 5kw there are 2kw options available also. My thinking is they're probably all very similar in design so possibly shouldn't be much of a reliability issue, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On another note, anybody got any experience with diesel heaters?
I believe some funsters have or were thinking of using the cheap Chinese diesel heaters themselves, so perhaps a trawl of the forum would bring them to light.

OP
OP
Sam warren

Sam warren

Free Member
May 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Quick update...

Cleaning done
Welding done
Roughed the shelf in
Laid the flooring

Slowly piece by piece this thing we'll get done!

Cheers for all the suggestions so far, really helpful!
IMG_20190619_211015.jpg
IMG_20190619_210813.jpg
IMG_20190619_210659.jpg
IMG_20190619_211015.jpgIMG_20190619_210813.jpgIMG_20190619_210659.jpg
IMG_20190619_211015.jpg
IMG_20190619_210813.jpg
IMG_20190619_210659.jpg
IMG_20190619_211015.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun